Review: Nilkin vs. Orzly vs. PhantomGlass vs. Spigen vs Cruzerlite

1. dmo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 21, 2014

dmo , Sep 21, 2014 :
    Greetings all. I've been pretty underwhelmed for the most part when people talk about their screen protectors. Almost all of them are good experiences. Especially if you've been used to plastic protectors, your first glass screen protector is ALWAYS "omg this is soooo good." No one actually compares screen protectors. Even the worst glass protector is better than the best plastic protector. So I decided to give you guys some insight, because its important to know how one protector compares to the rest.

I initially bought a Nilkin for my OnePlus One because that was one of the first available protectors. I dropped it twice resulting in a crack across the screen (this was before a good case was released and before I bought the Diztronic case with front lip protection). I ended up buying an Orzly later on which I received in August.

Now on my N5 I've used 3 protectors. I started with the Spigen Nano Slim.t, and then after cracking that tried out the Cruzerlite. And then my Nexus 5 broke which I RMAed and decided to try out the PhantomGlass since the OnePlus One Phantom Glass is sold out. So disclaimer is this is reviewing the Nexus 5 Phantom Glass, but for the most part it should be similar to the OPO Phantom Glass. I'll refrain from commenting on N5 specifics of the case such as cutouts which will vary from the OnePlus One.

So here we go:

Nilkin 6/10
    • The cutouts on the OPO are bad.
    • Thick @ 0.3mm
    • Edges not rounded (they're rounded so you don't get cut, but its not rounded like an Orzly)
    • The installation kit is barebones. Front of the protector lacks a protective sticker

Orzly 9/10
    • Nearly perfect.
    • Great feel, love the rounded edges.
    • Love the 0.23mm thickness. Thinner than the 0.3mm fat ones.
    • Cheap
    Spigen 10/10 (N5)
    • Probably the best out there.
    • $$$$$
    • Quality glass, thin as hell too (0.2mm?)
    PhantomGlass 7/10 (N5)
    • Best warranty in house
    • Thin (0.2mm?)
    • Somehow this has a weird touch sensation. All other glass protectors is usually smooth and very frictionless. However PG is somehow rough to glide your finger across. Almost like a damn plastic protector. Yuck.
    • Installation pack lacks a lot of goodies. I just installed this last Friday and there's no stickers (had to bring scotch tape). No card too to push the air bubbles out.
    • $$$$$. Moreso than Spigen because they're not Prime Shipping + Amazonable. The total cost was $40+ with intl shipping to the US.

Cruzerlite 6/10 (N5)

• Oleophobic coating wore off in no time compared to the Spigen.
    • Thick @ 0.3mm

So I bought another OnePlus One last Tuesday because I bricked mine (IMEI issues), and to to let you know, my next protector is an Orzly. If money wasn't an issue and Spigen made a protector for the OPO, I'd get their protector. But having bought 5 protectors for these phones... yeah I think I need to save some money now.

As for the iPhone 6 that I'm getting for work, I'll probably get a Spigen.

2. Ivanpoocky13
    KitKat Sep 21, 2014

3. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Sep 21, 2014

McAwesomePL likes this.
  4. azntron
    Gingerbread Sep 21, 2014

5. TJ COMBO
    Jelly Bean Sep 21, 2014

TJ COMBO , Sep 21, 2014 :
    With PG you don't need a card to push out bubbles. You just place it over your screen... And it's nano technology just bonds to your screen automatically ironing out the bubbles. I have ZERO bubbles and I didn't even push down the protector.

It does come with a guide and nice box with a cloth and wipe. It's 0.24mm thick and 100% clear with oleo-phobic properties, touch response is fine (for me) I haven't felt any friction.

Overall my review is 10/10 for the PhantomGlass. No flaws in my end, perfectly cut corners (not too round) and nice front camera cut out and grill.

The only risk I could see was that the glass (which is Gorilla Glass btw) was very stiff and not flexible... But that's expected because it's glass!

It truly is as the slogan goes.... The Last screen protector you'll ever need.

ktq likes this.
  6. chongswee
    Jelly Bean Sep 21, 2014

chongswee , Sep 21, 2014 :
    I got Mocolo installed, GOR as backup, thinking to get RhinoSheild, but no more promotions :(

7. TigerXC
    Lollipop Sep 21, 2014

TigerXC , Sep 21, 2014 :
    only difference is its not tempered glass

Techno Puploo and Ivanpoocky13 like this.
  8. dmo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 22, 2014

dmo , Sep 22, 2014 :
    You don't really need a card for most others too. You can use your fingers. I ended up using my fingers to push out the bubbles on the PG. With that said, glass is inherently easier to install once you put it down because its firm and rigid. You won't get any wrinkling or fear of not having the sheet flat as it hits the screen.

I wouldn't say installation of PG or any of the other ones were harder than another. With that said, providing a card would be a +1 in my book if you make installation easier. Plus, not providing a dust remover sticky is a -1 for the PG.

As for that mention about nanotechnology, I think thats just buzzwords they're using there. What really is different about PG from the rest?

Its Gorilla Glass, yes, but the others are likely ion exchange strengthened glass too. That's like saying you just got a cut, and I'll come to the rescue with a Band-Aid®. But all that means is a Johnson & Johnson branded bandage. If I arrive with a Target brand or a generic bandage, is that any worse? Does that mean you'll bleed out to death or die? If you don't use a Kimberly-Clark Kleenex® tissue paper, is that the end of the world versus generic tissue paper? Or instead of a Xerox copy machine, you use a Ricoh copy machine? In there's likely competing glasses with Gorilla Glass. Its how the other tempered glass protectors are also 9H+. If they were typical window silica glass, it would be 7H hardness and would probably scratch left and right.

So I get PG has the fancy Gorilla Glass name behind it, but just the touch of the screen, I definitely prefer the others. They're smoother to touch and don't have that much friction on their fingers.

gusuraman likes this.
  9. dmo

dmo , Sep 22, 2014 :
    Yeah. This is a comparison of glass protectors. I'd be glad to talk about RhinoShield if I was interested, but honestly I want glass. I'm not taking my phone to do rock climbing on the Grand Canyon or to do intense mountain biking where I'm going to drop my phone 5 times a day. Glass protector + TPU case with a front lip is more than enough protection for daily use around the city.

Naquadah and TigerXC like this.
  10. aiyaaaaa
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2014

aiyaaaaa , Sep 22, 2014 :
    I think the best out there for the OPO is Orzly. I looked a lot into this but Orzly had the best overall package.

11. Sukianes

12. Naquadah
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2014

Naquadah , Sep 22, 2014 :
    Good thread, nice comparison :)
    Also RhinoShield gives far less protection against scratch marks. After a while, you'll notice a lot of small scratch marks on the screen protector which will not disappear. But on the other hand, it does provide much better protection if the phone is dropped. So it's really a compromise....

13. ethanchim10
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2014

ethanchim10 , Sep 22, 2014 :
    changing to Nillkin from original OP SP, because most easily available.
    Heard Rhinoshield is good too.

14. tabascouk
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2014

tabascouk , Sep 22, 2014 :
    I have just put an orzly premium tempered glass protector on my opo. This is the best fitting screen protector I have had on any phone. It fits perfectly. No loss of screen fuction sensitivity. In fact you would not know it is there. Plus they have it on special offer on amazon in the UK.

15. Bashar.saigh
    Froyo Sep 22, 2014

Bashar.saigh , Sep 22, 2014 :
    Awesome! I just ordered orzlys for my OPO and for my siblings phones and I am glad I did. Its going to take at least 2 weeks to get here from the UK but should be worth it! I just could not get over the long cut out on the Nillkins even though I would have received them in 3 days.

16. mwoolley
    Jelly Bean Sep 22, 2014

17. Lupolinux
    Oreo Sep 22, 2014

Lupolinux , Sep 22, 2014 :
    Orzlys is fantastic, easy to clean and easy to remove and easy to use it.
    For me the best for Oneplus without compromises.

18. dmo

dmo , Sep 22, 2014 :
    Yup. BTW US users don't be alarmed regarding the ship dates of the Orzly from Amazon. I got mine off Amazon and they shipped to me within a week (from UK to west coast of US!). The ETA per Amazon was 1 month.

Edit: It was sold by iTALKonline-USA per Amazon. I just ordered another one last week for my 2nd OPO so I'll let you know how long it takes to ship, but probably not too long. I got a shipment email the very next day (but no tracking #).

19. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Sep 22, 2014

20. firewire2035
    KitKat Sep 22, 2014

firewire2035 , Sep 22, 2014 :
    tl;dr i am a walking disaster.

btw, thanks for the review. was never a fan of Spigen (cost) until I have one for S4. quite nice. go to ali---.com and see if you can find one.