Review of CES 2019, together with OnePlus TV

1. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Jan 30, 2019

Todd W. , Jan 30, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone,

Thank you for joining us on this new thread!!

Have you followed all the tech reports and cool stuff from CES 2019? What’s your favorite technology or product showcased this year?

The OnePlus TV team has been tracking the latest TV technologies and products as well. We're excited about the future of TV industry. Looking at the best technology helps us bring the best product to our users. More importantly, we'd like to hear more of your advice. Here is the summary of what we've observed as a team. Let’s review and discuss them together in this thread!

Future Technologies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8K resolution and 5G connection
    These topics have been talked about for years, but this time both 8K and 5G are getting closer to happening in real life. Market-leading wireless carriers and chipset makers are excited to show their next-generation network products, which will benefit TVs with ultra-fast download speeds, seamless connection between IOT devices and better support AI technology.

8K and bigger screens
    This year, almost every major TV brand has come out with an 8K TV, in a bigger size and with a more reasonable price. This includes Samsung’s 65, 75, 82 and 98-inch, Sony’s 85 and 98-inch, LG’s 88-inch OLED and 75-inch LCD, TCL’s 8K Roku TV. The cheapest 8K TV is about $5,000; but it doesn’t make it a reason to buy an 8K yet - there is still limited content to make use of this screen resolution.
    Learn more about 8K: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/...-8k-samsung-lg-oled-rollable-micro-led-trends

Future display technology and competition
    I guess you all have heard and seen LG’s roll-up OLED TV this year. It was amazing at the show, with a lot of potential for the future. It brings LG’s OLED technology to a new level.

However, as a competitor to LG, Samsung has made some new trends with micro-LED this year; when everyone was announcing bigger screens, Samsung made its Micro-LED screen smaller, from 146-inch last year to just 75-inch now, which they called more “home friendly.”

[​IMG]

Although the prices of roll-up OLED and micro-LED screens are both incredibly expensive now, we believe the competition between the giants will bring them down to commercial level very soon. What is going to be your pick till then?

More reviews to be found at:

https://www.cnet.com/videos/the-best-tvs-at-ces-2019/

Today's Products

HDR and local dimming
    While Samsung and LG are competing on the future displays, others are busy with improving their picture quality to a higher level; Sony, Samsung and Vizio, are putting more local dimming zones into their flagship products while TCL and Hisense are making their big-size local-dimming TVs even cheaper.
    https://www.cnet.com/videos/vizio-debuts-bigger-brighter-quantum-tvs-at-ces-2019/

AI & content
    Voice command and assistants are not new, but this year, we can see almost every smart TV is working with Google Assistant or Alexa, or even both! Apple, for the first time, brings its rich iTunes content and AirPlay 2 system to more smart TV brands, which could be very useful in some markets.​

Well, that’s what we have spotted as the highlights of the TV category at CES this year. Did I miss anything cool? Please let us know.

While our team is preparing our first product, we are keeping our eyes on the latest developments and thinking about your dream future TV. Let’s make it happen!!

Other references and reviews:
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/micro-led-samsung-vs-lg-3589872
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...-goes-micro-led-mad-at-ces-2019/#3f4a585268bf

2. YRJ
    Lollipop Jan 31, 2019

YRJ , Jan 31, 2019 :
    I really liked Samsung's latest idea of adding led panels and increasing the size of your existing TV quite effortlessly.
    The technology is great and easy but at the price point that it actually is going to come at, it is still a novelty product. Looks good to see but is too costly to justify its price.

Gotta give credit to MI for making such a great TV
    Mi 4 pro. The TV is awesome and a bargain at the price they come at.
    Voice command is a great plus :)

Just my 2 cents ;)
    Yash :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019

3. Yashshah_36
    Honeycomb Jan 31, 2019

Yashshah_36 , Jan 31, 2019 :
    The 8k TV is something cool. But what really caught my eye was the retractable LG TV. That was some hardcore technology. But the question is is it worth that money? Do we really need a retractable TV?

Anyways, Awesome CES review.

4. Meet@321
    Honeycomb Jan 31, 2019

5. Adi2002
    Froyo Jan 31, 2019

Adi2002 , Jan 31, 2019 :
    I think OnePlus TV is also coming!!! Wait For It! I am Planning to buy a new TV!! The OnePlus Smart TV

Pun1sher, hari4ualws, aris and 4 others like this.
  6. Jaison Blessing
    Froyo Jan 31, 2019

Jaison Blessing , Jan 31, 2019 :
    Look At Sony their Processing is on point try to make that happen let the processing be awesome and try to bring thier implementation of android tv and not xiomis it will be good
    last dont over do it stick to the basics like ur smartphones

PascalBro and Todd W. like this.
  7. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jan 31, 2019

Bouncer71 , Jan 31, 2019 :
    All awesome Tech but they will come with a price tag.
    Modular is a good idea...
    Why not Hardware wise...?
    An 8k screen with replaceable Mainboard or extension bays to update or add hardware features...?
    That way the TV would be future proof, the base model at entry price level and customize able to personal needs...

In other words...
    I would prefer a simple setup Smart TV without AI, voice command, camera, or IoT..
    Other costumers could add features to their needs...

buntycubal, TibiTibi, woSch and 6 others like this.
  8. BYG BYRD
    Honeycomb Jan 31, 2019

BYG BYRD , Jan 31, 2019 :
    Does India Need 8K .....No !!!!

Our dish TV also gives us 1080p....

I think OnePlus should Step ahead in CES and bring a TV that can surf 8k content at 1080p speed.....Like Highly Compressed Contents

9. G_Neeraj_Porwal_XSAR
    Gingerbread Jan 31, 2019

10. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Feb 1, 2019

Todd W. , Feb 1, 2019 :
    Thank you! Review is done by my our TV team and just to let you know what topic we have covered. I think the story of TV rollable panel will be similar to flexible display in mobile phone industry someday.

11. meatandy
    Oreo Feb 1, 2019

meatandy , Feb 1, 2019 :
    Speaking for myself , only a midsized TV is needed with a fast and smooth UI coupled with quality remote control that is able to control multiple functions seamlessly.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

Davetherave, TibiTibi, woSch and 3 others like this.
  12. elanglois
    Lollipop Feb 1, 2019

13. elanglois
    Lollipop Feb 1, 2019

elanglois , Feb 1, 2019 :
    A true fanboy buys a product without knowing anything whatsoever about the product other than the manufacturer. Congrats!

malidan likes this.
  14. elanglois
    Lollipop Feb 1, 2019

No such thing as future-proof. You think you can change 4K to 8K or add more dimmable zones with some modular trick? Gonna change to 120Hz refresh?

Modularizing will make it more expensive with zero benefit

15. elanglois
    Lollipop Feb 1, 2019

You know nothing about tech

Mr.Llama likes this.
  16. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Feb 1, 2019

The_Unkown , Feb 1, 2019 :
    keep your pocket loose if u r planning such. in no case it will be less than $1000-1500

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

17. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Feb 1, 2019

The_Unkown , Feb 1, 2019 :
    Keeping in the mind the references they have presented and their inspiration.

plus now a days OnePlus seems to be more business oriented which is not bad as a company but as a user I feel it's only a another competitive brand squashing out money of the user.

But let's see. I also am waiting for this OnePlus brand new TV . They have done very well with smartphone.

rafath786 and Todd W. like this.
  18. Todd W.
    TV Product Marketing Staff Member Feb 1, 2019

Todd W. , Feb 1, 2019 :
    Was expecting your review on something special...News of OPTV? just not yet to release.

Pranav Peddi likes this.
  19. elanglois
    Lollipop Feb 1, 2019

they told what they "found out", which was a lot of nothing. General Knowledge, and they didn't even civer that very well

PRANAYCHINNA likes this.
  20. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Feb 1, 2019

Bouncer71 , Feb 1, 2019 :
    Where exactly did I say something about upgrading screen features via modules...?

otto2 and YRJ like this.