Review of OnePlus X

1. gjdass Honeycomb Nov 4, 2015

gjdass, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Hello guys !

I'm lucky. I live in Paris and in Paris ... there is Colette, the store where OP released its new OnePlus X this Monday. The store had 600 phones to sell over 3 days (today is the last day, 200 per day), and I was glad to buy one yesterday around 11am.

[​IMG]

Well. I'm coming from an OPT (yeah, I kinda like OP now). At the time I bought this OPT, i was looking for a pure Android experience, at a decent price, with a great phone. I was disapointed about one single thing : the size of the phone. And it's not even about just OnePlus. It's about all the fuc***g phone industry who is just making bigger and bigger phones like boys comparing their penis (sorry for the image but I really think that). Why doing a phone that will weight 200g in my pocket, with a screen I cannot even touch the top with one hand in the subway ?

Anyway, some people do actually like big phones, and I respect that. I'm just saying the industry should make great hardware phones in 5" format too and not just 5,5" flagship. There are 2 great phones under 5" in the Android world : Z5 compact (with ugly SONY software part IMO), and now, the OnePlus X.

This size is the only thing I missed with my OPT. I mean, it's perfect. 5". Not too big (I can hold it without being afraid to break it on the floor of the subway each times it breaks on the tracks), not too small (like an iPhone 5S for exemple). Perfect. AMOLED ? I didn't test these screens before, and I must say : wow, it changes something. This looks good. Image is a bit "Orange" (due to warmer colors in comparison with a cooler LCD display). 1080p is a great choice too.
    The screen is a bit "2.5D" (edges are roundish) like an iPhone 6, and it feels great in the hand. Not more cutting edges.
    It's well-built, it feels very solid but still very light which is great ! Materials used are noble. It really feels premium.
    Buttons are at the good place. I regret two things : jack input is at the top of the phone (I would prefer it at bottom), and the 3 capacitive buttons are not illuminated (no back-lit).

A negative point for me (I'm a geek so it matters to me) : wifi. It works great, don't freak out, but I think it's a SHAME to not put 5Ghz wifi in a 2015 phone. OP puts radio FM which I really don't care about, but no basic 5Ghz wifi ... WTF Anyway 2,4Ghz is fine in most of cases but it's symbolic.

OxygenOS looks great on the phone, and works like a charm. I will say it : it works better than on the OPT .... Yes I said it, and it's freaking true for me at least. I got lags sometimes on the OPT (nothing really bad but still ..), the phone was a little warn pretty often etc. None of this happened for now on my OPX. Maybe because the 801 is an experienced processor ;)

Anyway, I won't detail everything here because the software part is the same as the OPT.

A precision on the camera : it looks great for now (same level than the OPT for me even if it's supposed to be under). I will test it more in next couple of days.

In conclusion, let's say it's a flagship, and not a middle-class phone (I was afraid of that). It's well-manufactured, freaking beautiful with 5" amoled great display. It's a flagship for those like me who just don't want tablets in their pockets, but still good phones ;o) Hardware is good, even if it's 1 year old hardware (i mean cmon guys, who really needs the latest 8xx processor to play candy-crush ...). Fingerprint missing, too bad, but it's like NFC for me : gadget. MicroSD slot is a great thing as-well : 15 euros, and i have doubled my capacity.

Anyway, you can buy it eyes closed like we say in France. You will be happy to find a case in the package ;) I found it cool !
    [​IMG]

For those who want to see several photos taken with OnePlus X today :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Battery 1st cycle :

Fully charged : 3rd November 11pm
    36 hours later : 25% left
    Active time : ~5 hours
    SOT : ~3 hours 30 minutes
    ==> 30% screen, 68% apps, 2% LTE/WiFi
    NOTE : During this cycle, I ran an anTuTu bench once, which decreased my battery by about 10%. So in theory, I still have about 35% right now.

No more battery : 5th November 12:50pm - plug-in
    Battery 100% : 5th November 02:58pm - plug-out
    ==> it took 2 hours and 10 minutes to go from 1% to 100%. No use during this time.

My normal usage : 1 hours of clash of clan, lot of texting, ~1 hour web-browsing, ~20 mails and 4 calls (almost 1 hour of talking).
    Note : I put my phone in Airplane mode when I sleep.

anTuTu benchmark : 41K

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

2. pa5t1s Marshmallow Nov 4, 2015

puccellino, ookeykat, Mr. BG and 16 others like this.
  3. ashok0412m Eclair Nov 4, 2015

ashok0412m, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Thats great.. Eagerly waiting to buy it.. One question to you.. !! How about battery life??? Because I'm having oneplus one it has great battery backup..

cizl, Christian_yn and rahuldborse like this.
  4. galahadrd Eclair Nov 4, 2015

rahuldborse likes this.
  5. vivek289 Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 4, 2015

rahuldborse and adrijano like this.
  6. Mikelco Eclair Nov 4, 2015

7. harshb079 Cupcake Nov 4, 2015

harshb079, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Will the glass shatter on drop?
    What about the repairability score of this device. Oneplus has a crappy support so I am kind of afraid buying this phone. I love it though.

rahuldborse and Manoj Shiva like this.
  8. Jan94 Donut Nov 4, 2015

Jan94, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Thanks for the review, I have it since Monday 11h13 :) and I share your views. I would add that I loved the Qi charge of my N5.
    Radio in Paris works super fine. Even thought the app is a bit too basic.

rahuldborse likes this.
  9. sachinp2008 Donut Nov 4, 2015

sachinp2008, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Thanks for the review. :)

How is the battery life?
    Are you facing any heating issue?

rahuldborse likes this.
  10. TheShortOfit Honeycomb Nov 4, 2015

11. Liuck 9 Cupcake Nov 4, 2015

12. brittonraya KitKat Nov 4, 2015

pa5t1s and Wahoux like this.
  13. Wahoux KitKat Nov 4, 2015

Wahoux, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Ahah pas mal la review, c'est marrant ^^ ;)

bellamrams, pa5t1s and gjdass like this.
  14. ricardobroeders Cupcake Nov 4, 2015

15. brittonraya KitKat Nov 4, 2015

brittonraya, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Lovely review. Please give us the battery review. I'm most interested in how it holds up. Thanks mate

pa5t1s likes this.
  16. mjoszko Eclair Nov 4, 2015

17. acersahibi77 Jelly Bean Nov 4, 2015

acersahibi77, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Congrats. Enjoy it. Thanks for your review. I still use my OPO. I haven't purchased OPT but I really want to buy OPX. It looks gorgeous. ;)

mradul5, pa5t1s and brittonraya like this.
  18. andyinthailand Jelly Bean Nov 4, 2015

andyinthailand, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Does the SD card work okay? I read in a previous thread that people were having problems with it.

rahuldborse likes this.
  19. whiteg40 Cupcake Nov 4, 2015

20. xchris Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 4, 2015

xchris, Nov 4, 2015 :
    Thank you

Can you post a photo of the case?

I still don't know if i want to buy it tomorrow.
    I like my OPT but it is toooo thick and weights a lot!!
    (although i like 5.5 Display)

I am sure i don't like its display because it's Amoled. IPS display have so natural and real colors.
    Ambled displays (from my old s3, note2) have such LSD colors..

Thank you :)

Monica29 likes this.