[REVIEW] OnePlus Cases! OEM, Nillkin, Diztronic and more! (Pics heavy!)

1. roderickh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 12, 2014

roderickh , Aug 12, 2014 :
    Hey guys!

I guess after I've received all my ordered cases it is only right that I do a review for all of them! Afterall it might just help some members in the community eh?

I bought a few cases as I couldn't make up my mind on which case I will settle with. In this review you'll see most cases covered in multiple threads in this topic, but I'm sure not many has all of them side by side at the same time :)

I will try to give my best to explain my experiences with each and every case and point out the pros and cons. If you guys have anything to ask please do so :)

Just to list it out, the cases that I own are:
    - OEM OnePlus Protective Case (Yellow)
    - Nillkin Frosted Shield (Brown)
    - IMAK Clear Case
    - Diztronic TPU (Red)
    - Generic TPU Case
    - Generic Aluminium Bumper
    - Tudia Ultra Slim (Teal)

Oh and another thing, in case you are wondering about the watermark, it is my photography page on facebook (Down Loaded) apologies for the mass watermarks, I was editing a few shots on LR previously and forgot to change my setting! If you do use the pictures please do give credits :)

Here are all the cases laid out together :D Colourful combo, no?
    [​IMG]

Alright let's begin!

Lets start with the clip-on cases first.

OEM OnePlus Protective Case (Yellow)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial Impressions
    Wow, never knew a 'clip-on' case would have such a premium packaging!
    This case is probably the thinnest clip-on case out of the collection that I have. colour is definitely very striking too! I've read multiple threads in this forum with regards to bad fitments on this case, however I am lucky that mine fits 'snug' although just barely. Texture of material is 'matte', it definitely helps to grip the One easier. This case however does not have the extra lip around the display to prevent those damage caused by facing down displays.

Cost
    - $10.99 USD (OnePlus Official Store)

Pros
    - Super thin! Extra thickness is literally negligible.
    - Aesthetically pleasing. Heck that yellow is hot!
    - Button operation not much different from no-case setup.
    - That OnePlus Logo.. (I'm serious.. it's probably the sexiest thing on it)

Cons
    -
    Not the cheapest available
    - Not much protection for the device especially at the top or bottom.
    - Material may be more prone to the test of time (smudging, etc)
    - Not extra 'lip' on top of display for protection, would probably clear the device screen if it had no protection, however my 0.3mm tempered glass sits at a higher height.

Nillkin Frosted Shield (Brown)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial Impressions
    Great packaging, as expected from one of the more common accessory maker. The material of this case definitely feels more premium as compared to the OnePlus Protective Case. However it is thicker and would give a different feel to the device. Fitment is definitely tighter than the OnePlus case. This Nillkin case also came with one screen protector + microfibre cloth, maybe that would be a selling point to some? I would still recommend a tempered glass regardless :) Another thing, texture of this case is different from the OnePlus Protective Case, it has a pattern that helps increases grip level, here's a picture to show it in further detail. It's made out of material that won't smudge easy! The case differs from the OnePlus Protective Case around the buttons as Nillkin has protection around all four sides of the button whereas on the OnePlus Protective Case it is just a U-cutout. The case also sits slightly elevated from the display to prevent damages from facing down situations

[​IMG]

Cost
    - $5.70 USD (A l i xpress - Do a search and it'll be there!)

Pros
    -
    Sturdy Case
    - Better material than OP Protective Case
    - Free Screen Protector
    - Cheap!
    - Button operation seems slicker due to case design.
    - Protection against facing-down situations

Cons
    -
    Lack of protection on top and bottom of device
    - 'Tip' for front bezel barely clears screen height. (in my case with a 0.3mm tempered glass :))

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

demonmhon, Ami25, Dr. Indest and 71 others like this.
  2. roderickh

IMAK Clear Case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Initial Impressions

Packaging is relatively decent. This case feels like a combination of the Nillkin and the Oneplus case. Design wise, it is very similar to the Nillkin, however the thickness and material is comparable to the OnePlus. Fitment fits really snug. Clear transparent back means that you can show off the One! This however is also a fingerprint magnet.

Cost
    -
    $4.15 USD (A l i xpress - Do a search and it'll be there!)

Pros
    -
    Aesthetically Pleasing (Heck it's basically the One with a transparent layer)
    - Good protection against facing down situations
    - Cheap!
    - Can be customisable to your own tastes

Cons
    - IMAK
    branding on the case
    - Not as sturdy as the Nillkin
    - No protection on top and bottom.
    - Frontal 'tip' nearly non-existent. Case clips onto the shiny bezel of the device and just clears the height of the display. Would probably be 'protective' if you have no screen protector, however my 0.3mm tempered glass was definitely higher.

Diztronic TPU (Red)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial Impressions
    By far one of the best material for a case, ever! Fitment is spot-on, minor adjustment needed for the rear microphone but that isn't an issue. Phone sits inside the case real well. Only downside I can see is the bland-ness of the case (may be a good thing) and the injection mould mark. Other than that this case is worth every penny. This is also one of the two case that features buttons inbuilt in the case. Button operation is easy.

Cost
    - $
    15.00 USD (Diztronic Official Site) & $9.99 USD + $7 shipping (Located in NZ) - Apply discount code XDA for a discount! REPEATBUYER for 10% off! Thanks @ozdavo :)

Pros
    -
    Strong and sturdy!
    - Extra material around front of display to prevent damages from facing down situations
    - Flexible material, won't crack whatsoever
    - Pretty!
    - Full around coverage except headphones area

Cons
    -
    Cost (most expensive out of the whole lot)
    - Injection mould mark (though not much can be done)
    - Bulkier Device

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

Yanchen, demonmhon, Ami25 and 77 others like this.
  3. roderickh

Generic TPU Case
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial Impressions

Relatively simple packaging. Cheapest case at $3 USD. Fits the device just fine, nowhere near as premium feeling as the Diztronic. Probably best choice to go with if you haven't decided on your final case?

Cost
    - $2.60 USD (from A l i xpress - Search it and it'll be there!)

Pros
    -
    Won't Crack due to material,
    - Cheapest!
    - Best TPU for your $!
    - All round protection

Cons
    -
    Not the most solid material available.
    - Fitment isn't the best

Aluminium Bumper Case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial Impressions
    Packaging is probably the worst, nevertheless it came complete. This case works by surrounding the OPO with an aluminium frame that may/may not protect it from drops. It is however by far the most aesthetic case as compared to the rest. The bottom left side has a bulge and this is due to the screw location. The frame sits just above my tempered glass, so it'd protect against situations where the screen is facing down. The bumper also had in-built buttons and thus button operation is a breeze. During my time of usage I've never really noticed a decrease in signal strength.

Cost
    - $6.50 USD (eBay)

Pros
    - Aesthetically pleasing.
    - Relatively cheap
    - Light
    - Bezels go around the whole device
    - Minimal 'tip' to prevent face drops

Cons
    - No Back protection
    - Left underside bulge

Conclusion
    Most protective: Diztronic
    Best Aesthetic: Aluminium Bumper (IMO anyway)
    Cheapest: Generic TPU Case

So there's that, sorry if I do not go into details enough.. It is my first time writing up a review. Hopefully it is helpful to fellow forum members!
    Which case do you guys like and which would you own?

If you were wondering which one is my daily driver..
    [​IMG]

It matches the cable colour even! :p

Edit: Some forum members has asked why I haven't reviewed any flip cases, Tudia, Orzly or the CruzerLite BugDroid..
    - I'm not a big fan of flip cases.. They drive me nuts when I'm operating my phone in the car!
    - Tudia & Orzly was initially avaiable in amazon.com/amazon.uk and it was harder for me to obtain them (as I reside in Auckland, NZ). I did however really want to buy the Orzly.. But had to settle for something else in the end.
    - With the CruzerLite BugDroid, I already have it on my nexus 7 and I gotta say that it is also well built! With that said, I didn't want to have a same case on my OPO :)
    [​IMG]

New update! :D
    My cousin gave me her spare Tudia Ultra Lite TPU (Teal) case so I guess I'll do a review on that too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Initial Impressions
    Relatively simple packaging (Not 100% sure as I didn't actually purchase it). Did my research and it was about $10 from a m a z o n. In my opinion it'll be the closest case in my possession to the Diztronic. Fitment is super snug and feels really good in the hand. Where the diztronic consist of a full matte finish with no transparency, the Tudia has a slight transparency on the matte surface (you could see the Cyanogen/1+ logo rather easily in person - was hard to capture on camera). As per above pictures, the Tudia also offers a similar front rim protection like the diztronic which would be great against front facing drops! My Oneplus is currently using the orzly tempered glass (which I'd recommend btw!). Overall very good case and would definitely rock it anyday.

Cost
    - $10 USD (from a m a z o n)

Pros
    -
    Won't Crack due to material,
    - Slightly cheaper than diztronic (although I believe diztronic has released a new case?)
    - Transparency to show off that 1+ badge! :p
    - All round protection + Front rim

Cons
    -
    Might be slippery when new, I faced the same issue with my diztronic but it got better overtime
    - Top glossy part may show scratches overtime

Should I get more cases? Post up suggestions!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

4. ineedinvitation

5. ironeater
    Froyo Aug 12, 2014

ironeater , Aug 12, 2014 :
    Now thats an impressive post, good info, well done. So going to refer back to this when I look at cases.

6. XmXmaks
    KitKat Aug 12, 2014

XmXmaks , Aug 12, 2014 :
    Cool, thanks for the post. Really useful since I cannot own a phone without a case, just feels so vulnerable.

Linanc7 and roderickh like this.
  7. roderickh

Francois0408 likes this.
  8. ZildjianUK
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2014

ZildjianUK , Aug 12, 2014 :
    I have the Nillkin in black and I absolutely love it. Smart and hardly any added bulk

9. roderickh

I get bored from time to time, got to keep it fresh :)

Thanks! Glad it helped :)

Thank you :)

10. vincentdenancy
    Eclair Aug 12, 2014

DoomCaek likes this.
  11. roderickh

None of these have really contributed towards producing more heat or cooling it faster. I do play Clash of Clans & PvZ2 actively and the phone does not heat to an uncomfortable level. Hope that helps :)

DoomCaek and vincentdenancy like this.
  12. mmoonz
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2014

mmoonz , Aug 12, 2014 :
    Great reviews dude! I have the aluminum bumper as well and I think I'm going to get the Diztronic :)

roderickh likes this.
  13. MayOrMayNotBeMe
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2014

DoomCaek and roderickh like this.
  14. roderickh

Thanks man! Haha yeah, I definitely miss the sandstone back texture. Heck I might edit up the review tomorrow. It's 2am and I'm half asleep!

mmoonz likes this.
  15. mmoonz
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2014

mmoonz , Aug 12, 2014 :
    Quick suggestion, it would be great if you could put links of those cases that you bought it from, Ebay, Amazon...

ethanchim10 and roderickh like this.
  16. roderickh

Thought about that, will do that tomorrow morning! Cheers for the suggestion but I'm gonna grab some rest first haha :) Will tag ya when I update it tomorrow~

mmoonz likes this.
  17. mmoonz
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2014

18. ar1ntx
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2014

ar1ntx , Aug 12, 2014 :
    Great post and review! Thank you! Now it is easier to select between bumper and other type of cases.
    Will order Diztronic TPU. Color is still something to think bur red looks OK.

19. Zoosh
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2014

Zoosh , Aug 12, 2014 :
    I have a couple of cases and my fave is defo the diztronic red one

vo0doodude and roderickh like this.
  20. mmoonz
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2014

mmoonz , Aug 12, 2014 :
    Yeah, They have Black, Red, and Dark Blue available

Monkeymanjr likes this.