[REVIEW] OnePlus Official PET Screen Protector for the One

?

So What's Your Preferred Screen Protection?

1. PET (Plastic) Protectors

10.8%
  2. Tempered Glass Protectors

78.4%
  3. Nothing - don't care about scratches, or would rather use a flip case...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Coconut

10.8%
  1. rez1_k
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 21, 2015

rez1_k , Mar 21, 2015 :
    I'm pretty careful with my phones... Always keep them clean, dry and rarely ever drop them accidentally. This is why I've never really felt the need to adorn my smartphones with cases or covers. Also, I hardly ever lay the phone face down and wipe my fingers before touching the screen, so I convinced myself I can forgo a screen protector as well.

I love the industrial design and feel of the OPO, and in the effort to retain its visual appeal, I had avoided stuff like flip covers or screen protectors. After managing to get two minor scratches on the screen of my little-over-a-month-old OPO however, I finally caved and decided to get myself a screen protector. Having decided initially on the tempered glass one, I had a couple of quandaries about the added thickness. I had previously used devices with both the tempered glass and PET screen protectors, and realized that the PET was a good fit for me. So, without further ado, here's my review of the product and the installation process:

The packaging and contents:
    As is the case with everything "OnePlus", the packaging was a sight to behold. For even such a seemingly "cheap" accessory, OnePlus have gone through a certain delicate design process. This makes an occasion out of the mere act of opening the sleeve and taking the separate included components out in preparation for installation. See for yourself [excuse the grainy images please, shot in very low light]:

2015-03-21 06.16.08 1.jpg 2015-03-21 06.14.02 1.jpg

The package you receive will not look like the one in the second photo, I was an idiot and shot the photo after finishing my installation... Anyway, moving on. The package comes with two positioning stickers, a small microfiber cloth, additional stickers for removing the screen protector and for picking up dust, a plastic squeegee, and finally the screen protector itself. So it's packaged well and includes pretty much everything you'd need to get up and running. I would recommend picking up some alcohol wipes with 70% isopropyl alcohol if your screen is really dirty - just make sure you let the screen dry completely before applying the protector.

So packaging and presentation? 10/10!

The installation process:
    The back of the package shows illustrated instructions for installing the protector on your device, the text is a very small but adequately legible. It's a bit silly to bother with the instructions for this though: It's a screen protector! It's not like you'd have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out anyway; even if you mess up, the consequences aren't like thermonuclear war or something. The following is what the instructions looked like [the photo makes it look worse than it is]:

2015-03-21 06.49.09 1.jpg

The installation itself was not particularly difficult, the hard part was to keep little dust particles at bay while prepping. The included microfiber cloth did a good enough job of wiping away dust and oils. One thing I noted though, was that the two included stickers for holding the protector in place were not wide enough to properly maintain alignment. If placed as shows in the instructions, the screen protector will slightly rotate when flipping back onto the phone. This led to my installation being slightly botched the first time around.

I had to peel up from one corner of the already attached protector from the screen, realign the damn thing and then place it back on properly. This whole debacle wound up slightly warping one corner of the screen protector and gathered a lot of air bubbles. Fortunately I could use the squeegee to sweep them away eventually.

Installation and instructions: 7/10, but only because of the small, low contrast text on the back and the suggested locations for placing the alignment tabs.

End Result:
    So packaging and installation are all fine and good, but what does it actually look and feel like once you've applied it to your phone? To be completely honest, I cannot say that the feel of running your fingers across a plastic sheet is going to be as pleasant as gliding across a glass surface. That being said, it really doesn't feel bad at all! The friction is tolerably low and touch sensitivity is virtually unaffected. After using it for a while, I forgot that there was even a screen protector there at all.

Visibility is 99.9% as well. With the screen on, there's no noticeable drop in brightness and glare hasn't increased one bit. Turning the screen off, however is a different story. There is a slight "orange-peel" like appearance from certain angles that some may find bothersome; I did not feel this to be much of an issue though. Another point of note was its resilience toward fingerprints. The GorillaGlass 3 screen of the OPO is a massive finger-print magnet; this screen protector though, I have noticed that it resists grease and oils quite a bit - and who doesn't love a clean screen!

As with any type of screen protector (with maybe the exception of the MIME Ghost Glass) there are some visible cutouts which are to slight detriment of the sleek appearance of the front of the device. The cutout around the front-facing camera didn't bother me much, but the odd, pill-shaped cutout for the ambient light sensor and proximity sensor was a bit of an eyesore.

_MG_0039.jpg _MG_0042.jpg

Post-application results: 9/10. Definitely happy with the protection it offers, and it's nice to see some degree of oleophobic-ness... The only one downside is the awkward looking cutout for the sensors. So final verdict? Should you buy it? Why not? It costs like a couple of dollars... Hell! Buy five... Swap it out every time it gets a bit scratched up.

Hope it helps out someone thinking about buying this product or having a tough time choosing between this and the tempered glass option. Enjoy!

gaster likes this.
  2. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Mar 21, 2015

rez1_k likes this.
  3. kemper

rez1_k likes this.
  4. rez1_k

rez1_k , Mar 21, 2015 :
    Thanks, man... Also, you must be a pretty fast reader! It hasn't even been a couple of minutes since I posted! :D

5. Deactivated User
    Mar 21, 2015

rez1_k likes this.
  6. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Mar 21, 2015

gaster , Mar 21, 2015 :
    No i just saw the photos and your opinion and you look satisfied so. There are faster readers than me. Trust me ;)

rez1_k likes this.
  7. rez1_k

rez1_k , Mar 21, 2015 :
    Thanks, glad you found it useful. :)

8. Skf123
    Marshmallow Mar 21, 2015

Skf123 , Mar 21, 2015 :
    Honestly no matter how good a plastic screen protector is it can never compare to a real glass one.

rez1_k likes this.
  9. rez1_k

rez1_k , Mar 21, 2015 :
    True, but I chose this one since it doesn't add to the thickness... Well, that and the fact that the glass one was out of stock. :p

10. rez1_k
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 22, 2015

rez1_k , Mar 22, 2015 :
    Update: Day two of using this screen protector, and I'm actually pretty amazed at how it is more resilient to fingerprints compared to the GorillaGlass 3 panel on the OPO. Plus, I've been deliberately a bit careless when wiping the screen or putting the phone in my pocket to see if it scratches easily... Turns out, it's pretty tough as well.

I still can't, for the life of me, figure out how I managed to scratch the glass screen as easily as I did... All I did was wipe it against my t-shirt, and that too with very little force... Weird o_O

11. WolfpackN64
    Jelly Bean Mar 30, 2015

WolfpackN64 , Mar 30, 2015 :
    Well, I now applied my second Rhinoshield after nearly a year with the first one. The moment you remove that back cover though, it's like all the dust in the universe is drawn to the screenprotector. Next time, I'll go for the PET one, plastic screen protectors might a bit scratch easier than glass ones, but less fingerprints are worth it to me.

That and the moment you let your device fall on a sharp corner, you wish you have a plastic instead of a glass screeprotector.

PET's environmentally friendly too.

rez1_k likes this.
  12. rez1_k
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2015

rez1_k , Mar 30, 2015 :
    I agree... I've heard several stories of tempered glass screen protectors shattering along with the glass they're supposed to be protecting if impacted the right way. So far, my PET protector has held up well against severe scratches - there are a few micro scratches visible under bright, direct light, but it still feels good and looks excellent.

As for fingerprints, yeah, they do a far better job against those than glass does. I will admit though that glass is a bit easier to clean - the PET seems to want to just swirl the dirt around a bit when you wipe. The solution I found was to wipe with some isopropyl alcohol first to remove the oily bits and then wipe with a clean towel to dry it off.