[Review] Phantom Glass for the OnePlus One

1. venodanvadivel
    Donut Dec 8, 2014

venodanvadivel , Dec 8, 2014 :
    Okay, so this is my review of the Phantom Glass for the OnePlus One in case you guys didn’t notice from the title :p. This is just going to be a review of the product, and I am not going to be giving any background information on tempered glass screen protectors, or hardness scale testing, etc. All of that information is already on this forum and you can find that on your own.

Scroll to the bottom if you don’t have time and want to see a pros & cons list.

Background

This is my first and only tempered glass screen protector so I cannot comment on how it compares to other tempered glass screen protectors. I am not an expert; I’m just a consumer and giving my thoughts and opinions on this product.

Features

· Phantom Glass if made from Corning Gorilla glass, and is advertised as protecting the screen from impacts and scratches. PG is supposed to shatter rather than your screen (I would assume like all tempered glass is supposed to be).

· They claim to have zero image distortion and not degrade the screen image quality.

· Case compatible

· Has an oleophobic coating allowing finger prints to wipe off easily. PG claims that it will last for up to two years.

· Fills in minor surface scratches—I cannot comment on this since I only used my OPO for about 2 or 3 weeks without a screen protector, and I didn’t have any visible scratches.

· Has a silicon nan-adhesion layer to allow for easy installation, and leaves zero residue when removed. They claim that the screen protector can be installed in under 30 seconds.

· PG has a lifetime warranty that covers basically anything (?). I’m not entirely sure what it covers, and I don’t really want to test out what it covers.

Packaging

The screen protector came in some pretty nice packaging. The box has a clean design, and it’s very sturdy so it is unlikely that the screen protector will be damaged when you receive it. In the box you get the screen protector, a small microfiber cloth, a packet with an alcohol wipe, and some instructions with diagrams. This is the first time I had a screen protector come with an alcohol wipe, so I thought this was good. I did use both the alcohol wipe and microfiber cloth, and I’m not entirely sure if it would have been better to use isopropyl alcohol and another cloth. It seemed fine during the installation process. One thing I wished they had provided was a dust remover tab (or whatever it’s called).

Installation

This is probably the biggest selling feature for PG. It was extremely easy to install the screen protector. I usually hate installing screen protectors because I always mess up, but this was very simple once you have it aligned. You just need to swipe your finger down the centre of the phone. It took me more than 30 seconds to install it though, but that was because I had to reapply the screen protector. This was because some dust got on the sticky part of the screen protector within the 15 or so seconds it took for me to take off the film and put it on the phone. I had to use some tape to take of said dust, but I really wished they gave those dust remover tabs that some screen protectors come with. The screen protector doesn’t cover the entire screen (so it could be case compatible I guess), so made it a little harder to align it properly. Mine is slightly slanted, but I don’t notice it too much when using the phone. One thing I did notice is that the cutouts seem a little odd. There is only one cutout for the speaker grille and ambient sensor (?), however if you align the screen protector to the top of the phone, the speaker grille just fits the cutout. There isn’t a cutout for the front-facing camera, and there doesn’t really need to be one since it’s just as clear as without a screen protector. At the bottom of the phone there is a larger gap since I aligned the PG to the top of the phone. I guess the screen protector is centre-aligned. I do wish that they had made the PG to cover the entire screen and not leave a 2 mm or so gap all around. It would’ve made it even easier to install and have better alignment.

Conclusion

This is a good screen protector, but the price makes it a bit iffy. It costs about $50 with tax and shipping to Canada. I don’t know why shipping costs so much since it ships from Canada, but it does. The oleophobic coating seems to be working since fingerprints are easy to wipe off. It has rounded edges, and it seems to be compatible with most cases. I have the Tudia Slim-Fit Cygen Dual Layer protective case, and the PG fits perfectly in it. You can only notice at the bottom that there is a screen protector. If I aligned it properly, I doubt that other people using my phone would notice that there is a screen protector (other than the cutout for the speaker).

Pros:

- Very easy installation (even for beginners)

- No image distortion and image quality of the screen seems to be identical

- Front facing camera quality is the same as no screen protector

- Easy to wipe off any fingerprints

- Not a fingerprint magnet (unlike without the screen protector)

- Lifetime warranty

- 0.2 mm thick; rounded edges

- Smooth to touch and finger glides easily across PG

- Case compatible (confirmed for Tudia Slim-Fit Cygen Dual Layer protective case)

Cons:

- An expensive screen protector

- Centre-aligned—a little harder to get the perfect alignment

- Sticky side easily attracts dust within the 15 seconds from taking off the film to putting it on the screen.

- I still have one or two dust particles (not that visible unless you look at it closely)

Overall:

This is a great screen protector. I would recommend if you just want a “do it once, do it right” type of screen protector (where you don’t have to replace it multiple times), especially if you don’t have a lot of experience applying screen protectors. Only problem would be the cost, but I guess the lifetime warranty offsets the cost (?). All the other cons of the screen protector are liveable, and I have been using it for almost a month. You don’t really notice the alignment and minor dust issues when you’re using the phone (only for the first day or so).

Louluvre and vksvicky like this.
  2. Pogiguy
    Gingerbread Dec 8, 2014

3. rizzyz94
    Eclair Dec 8, 2014

4. chvzedgar
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 8, 2014

5. krusade
    Jelly Bean Dec 9, 2014

krusade , Dec 9, 2014 :
    50$ for a sp ? That'd expensive.. I wanna see what's soo spl.. Can u upload pics or provide with the link?

Nilesh Sajnani likes this.
  6. he_qian9901
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2014

he_qian9901 , Dec 9, 2014 :
    Too expensive!

7. rajaiqbal
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2014

8. venodanvadivel
    Donut Dec 9, 2014

venodanvadivel , Dec 9, 2014 :
    It actually costs $35 CAD but with tax and shipping it comes to $50. I forgot to mention that I did not pay $50 for the product. It was a review sample.

One thing I would say is that Linus (from Linus Tech Tips, etc.) gave the PG a great review (for the iPhone). He said it's a great product so I was interested in it. However, the cost is still very expensive. I'm not sure if it is worth it yet...I will have to do a review in 6 months and later to see if it is still good as when it was new.

Also, PG (for other devices) is more of a retail store product. If you compare prices to other high-end screen protectors in retail stores (in Canada at least), it is somewhat comparable.

9. venodanvadivel
    Donut Dec 9, 2014

venodanvadivel , Dec 9, 2014 :
    I don't have another phone or a camera, but I remember seeing a YouTube video of the PG for the OPO. If I remember correctly, the guy shows the installation process and everything.

krusade likes this.
  10. pav_bhaji
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2016

pav_bhaji , Jun 27, 2016 :
    On the first sight everyone is going to think that it's too da*n expensive.
    But this will change your prespective :

It is a fully engineered glass. It's worth buying, a $30 glass for a $399 phone.