[REVIEW] Philips Fidelio X2

1. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

Tokolozi , Apr 17, 2016 :
    After about half a week with my new purchases I think I can start with an early review on them.
    These devices being the Philips Fidelio X2’s and the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD DAC/AMP.

Let’s start with the X2’s since these where the first I received and got to unbox.

Build/packaging:

The box although simple looks nice giving you some views of the product and some marketing talk here and there. If I had to change something it would be the big white box that looks somewhat out of place. You can also find your serial number on here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the bottom you can find the more technical side of the specs, Philips is certainly claiming some excellent numbers here. Going into above human hearing territory, yet certainly not unimportant for hearing ranges (harmonics do influence sound and all that), with its deep 5 Hz bass and Highs of 40 kHz. They are 30 Ohms so shouldn’t be too hard to drive for your average device, but let’s be honest at this price range you should really get something above built in audio or a phone for listening (that’s what I did at least).
    [​IMG]

Opening the box we find…………………… Yet another box, this time no fancy pictures and just some silver branding.
    [​IMG]

Opening this one we find our purchase displayed nice and secure in a plastic mold, with its detachable (3.5mm on each side) cable, ¾ inch adapter and a cable management clip. Underneath the plastic mold I later found a small booklet with some more info on the product. The cable itself is also made exceptionally well with braided Kevlar. Philips promises a low impedance connection on these compared to the X1’s.
    [​IMG]

Now for the visual impressions. All I can say is B-E-A-UTIFUL, they simply look stunning with their silver metal mesh. They also feel amazing thanks to the Black anodized aluminum (forgive me UK) rings. On these rings you can find some branding again and remarks to the 50mm drivers in these (for a certain chuck, yes these do have a diaphragm as they are not planar magnetic). The cans themselves are plastic but don’t feel cheap at all.
    [​IMG]

Now for the headband, this consists out of two main parts, one rigid part and a free floating part that adjusts itself to your head size. The rigid part consists out of two metal tubes, I presume the cabling from the right ear goes through here. These are mostly covered by a Pleather band (used to be calf leather in the x1’s but seems to have been changed to please the vegans) with again some little branding embossed in it. The floating part consists of a “3D” mesh, it’s soft and mushy, promising a comfortable fit.
    [​IMG]

The ear cups are made from a soft memory foam covered in velour ear pad, and this isn’t your cheap kind of velour fabric, it feels soft and thick.
    [​IMG]

These are removable, it doesn’t take much effort yet won’t happen by accident, truly well designed. When removed you can get a glimpse of the angled drivers covered by them.
    [​IMG]

Here for the final pic of the babies before I start talking about the sound and comfort.
    [​IMG]

Sound:

Let’s start by saying what I actually do with these.
    1: Listening to music, all styles go in my book. My library consists of everything from classic to D&B, my main genre would be rock and all its variations though. These are all stored in 320kb/s MP3’s besides maybe a few that are in FLAC.
    2: Movies/series, Again all genres go, my collection consists of all 5.1 high quality downloads (may or may not be legally obtained) with its odd exception here and there for older movies.
    3: Gaming, FPS, MOBA and action are my main genres, but this again doesn’t mean I won’t try others.
    4: Online media consumption, mainly in the form of YouTube

Most of these happen in long sessions behind my pc and thus a comfortable pair is a must. The X2’s certainly fit these requirements. The headband needs no adjustment, something I find quite fiddly in other headsets, since there never seems to be a “goldilocks” setting for me. You just put them on and they’ll adjust themselves as needed. As for the ear pads, this may be the best ones I ever had (yes I admit I haven’t had that many or expensive ones in the past) the memory foam/velour combo is great around your ears and don’t pinch my ears anywhere. They don’t get warm in long sessions and have never really felt the need to take a break with them off, even in 6+ hours sessions.

In all my listening experience I found these sets amazing, even if they are still in their “burn-in” period. Their clarity and sound of these is simply unmatched in my previous experiences. Like many other reviews I can confirm the strange experience of them being so not flat sounding they start sounding naturally flat. Giving a boost where needed and dips where our ears are more sensitive. This due to human hearing not being the same sensitivity on every frequency.

This makes it a more pleasant experience in my ears since sometimes real flat sound signatures sound boring, not giving you an oomph where needed in the lows and some mids/highs. Something I previously fixed in my Bose in-ears by using an EQ.

The lows certainly don’t overwhelm the other sound in these, even with the 50mm drivers. This however doesn’t mean they are not powerful, in combination with my Sound Blaster I use them at a comfortably loud volume level of 50-60%. These can really go LOUD and powerful across the hearing range. Giving you a nice kick in drum and bass yet leave the vocals of bands like Nightwish come through untarnished. Often when listening I discovered new stuff in songs I’ve listened too, like a second voice whispering in a muse song while the Main lyrics are being pumped out, wherein both are clearly audible with these depending on what you concentrate on.

In gaming this can have the added benefit of hearing some faint footsteps or just making every little noise more clear, giving you an overall nicer experience. A good example would be even in a free game like SMITE, wherein Ares his chains sound real and menacing now when being fired. In movies this has some benefit again in making the sounds come to life and giving you a more immersed feeling. For youtube it’s a bit hard, seeing as the X2’s make you realize how utterly garbage most people’s audio is in their recordings.

Now to maybe the most important part of these. These are open headphones, this means you have no isolation from the outside world, nor do they from you. So not the ideal pair to wear in public or noisy environment. In fact I find these so open, when wearing them it sounds like there’s nothing covering my ears at all. I can have a normal conversation when the sound is muted or lowered on the odd occasion someone needs to talk to me in my room. But the sound levels do a good job pushing out some of the environments noise if there is some (example: My mechanical MX BLUE keyboard). What the openness does help for as well is opening the soundstage and giving you more “dimensions” in your listening.

My conclusion, I give these headphones a solid 9.5/10. Even at their MSRP of nearly 300dollars/euro’s they are WORTH it. They give your ears a whole new experience and certainly will make you listen more carefully from time to time. I do however recommend that if you don’t have one already to purchase a higher grade or at least upper entry-level DAC to get the fullest out of them in terms of quality and volume of sound. Would I buy them again? HELL YES! Would I recommend them to others? Certainly, especially if the individual wants an open pair.

I hope this personal review was worth your read and I thank you for your time.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

2. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

Linanc7, IvanMuse and #HYPEorGTFO like this.
  3. lolreppeatlol
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2016

lolreppeatlol , Apr 17, 2016 :
    Nice review dude.
    Should I buy it?

And are they better than the Icons? I have looked into those

IvanMuse, #HYPEorGTFO and Tokolozi like this.
  4. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

If you're willing to spend the price ticket and need a headphone for indoor listening, YES!

#HYPEorGTFO likes this.
  5. LilLewis
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2016

6. lolreppeatlol
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2016

IvanMuse, Tokolozi and #HYPEorGTFO like this.
  7. dsst22
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2016

dsst22 , Apr 17, 2016 :
    Congratulations on marshmallow!!

Tokolozi and #HYPEorGTFO like this.
  8. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

Yes, technically it would work with a CM device.

9. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

10. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

Mr. BG likes this.
  11. DRCH
    German POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 17, 2016

DRCH , Apr 17, 2016 :
    I am jelly :eek:
    You might just helped me to find my next Investment :D
    Really good review!

Tokolozi and Mr. BG like this.
  12. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

Mr. BG , Apr 17, 2016 :
    Hey kiddo ;)

Nice reading and congrats on the cans, I'm not going to replace my Senns anytime soon, especially after the recent refurb, but these seem to play in the same league, great :)

Tokolozi likes this.
  13. LilLewis
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2016

Tokolozi likes this.
  14. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

You won't regret it, i was hesitant at the price at first as well, but totally satisfied.

DRCH likes this.
  15. Deactivated User
    Apr 17, 2016

Tokolozi likes this.
  16. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

Yea the senns don't need replacement, hope these last as long in time.

Mr. BG likes this.
  17. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

Yea the BT's are gaining popularity here as well. AKG was on my short list as well when looking at different ones, but long story short I just liked the look of these that little bit more.
    Thanks, and hopefully I can review some more stuff in my spare time.

Deactivated User likes this.
  18. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

IvanMuse, LilLewis and Mr. BG like this.
  19. Deactivated User
    Apr 17, 2016

Linanc7 and Tokolozi like this.
  20. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Apr 17, 2016

Yea I still have the luck of being a student with a attic as a room, so isolated from the most sounds around me.

And yeah read that in an other review as well, bout a week listening worth seemed to do it for him.

Linanc7 and Deactivated User like this.