[REVIEW] Skagen Connected Hybrid Smartwatch

1. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Feb 22, 2018

Tokolozi , Feb 22, 2018 :
    So After some time owning my "new" "smart watch"I think it's time that I write a small review about it.

The watch in question is this 'analogue' smart watch:
    [​IMG]

It may not be the smartwatch that you're all used to seeing with their fancy screens, but do not fret!
    This has it's own sets of benefits.

Basic summary of it's functions:
    - Step counter
    - Sleep Tracker
    - Multi time zone
    - Alarm
    - Music / app control
    - Notifications
    And maybe most of all:
    - 6 Months battery life!

So it comes down to basically taking an analogue watch and combining it with an activity tracker like the mii band. All in all not a bad combination in my eyes and I've been happy with my purchase since I bought it about 4 months ago. The watch itself is branded by Skagen, but it's actually made by fossil so it's very similar to their own hybrid smart watches. Just a slightly toned down styling, which I don't mind since it's the watch I mostly wear to work nowadays.

As for the features themselves they all work as expected and here's my view on them:

- Step / Sleep tracking:
    No complaints seems accurate and you get a nice overview in the app. It also has the option to sync with Google fit if you use that. only thing I'm missing is a heart rate sensor, but this would diminish battery life.

- Multi time zone:
    Works like a charm, as someone working in an international company with occasional travel it's actually quite handy to not have to set the new time zone when I land. Additionally I have a fixed second time zone set under one of the buttons to check the time in HQ (Japan) to see if I can contact the support there if needed.

- Alarm:
    Several alarms can be set and it notifies you by vibrating with a set strength. The max. vibration strength is enough for me to wake up but I'm using it in combination with an alarm on my phone.

- Music / app control:
    Super handy when listening to music with the phone in your pocket. You can select the button function in the app or assign several functions to one button.
    For music the controls include: Next Song, pause/play, Previous Song and Volume Up/Down
    In other apps the only thing I really saw is Camera shutter control. Maybe handy for those who like selfies?

- Notifications:
    You might wonder how the watch shows notifications since it has no screen, lights or speakers in it right?
    Well it's simple, next to the vibration you can set a handful of apps (6) to indicate when you have a notification. In the case you get one the Hour and Minute hand will both move to the number you assigned to that specific app and stay there for about 10 second. And with a press of a button you can always recall the previous notification in case you missed it.
    So not suited for reading you messages, but at least you get notified and can judge if it''s from an important source or just snapchat again.

-Battery Life:
    Well I have to say, this is what makes it better than any other smart watch I had so far. Since often I did not wear the previous ones all the time since I forgot to charge them or just didn't want to put them on after charging them (lazy me).
    With this one I wear it all the time, giving me the benefit of sleep tracking added as well. The 6 months they claim seems to be true, since after 4 months the battery still gets reported about halfway in the app and I have the vibration set to high. The only downside is it's a non-rechargeable battery since it uses a standard lithium coin cell battery. But this is a sacrifice I'm willing to take.

So as a conclusion, I really like the watch and recommend it to people looking for some smart features in a stylish watch. Or those that want to invest in an activity tracker but don't like the look of those rubber bands they usually are.

2. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 22, 2018

3. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Feb 22, 2018

4. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Feb 22, 2018

youbi , Feb 22, 2018 :
    Seems a nice alternative. But Don't you miss having a screen ? :sweatsmile: I've been using my Huawei watch the past two years and I don't see myself going to an analog one again. :p

Tokolozi likes this.
  5. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Feb 22, 2018

Only in rare occasions tbh, overall it suits my needs of being notified :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

youbi likes this.
  6. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 22, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Feb 22, 2018 :
    That's a bargain!! Awesome watch.

Tokolozi likes this.
  7. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Feb 22, 2018

Thought so too, thanks!

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  8. izzykasha
    Lollipop Feb 22, 2018

Attached Files:

Tokolozi likes this.
  9. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Feb 22, 2018

izzykasha likes this.
  10. izzykasha
    Lollipop Feb 22, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe and Tokolozi like this.
  11. SimonRam
    Lollipop Feb 22, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe and izzykasha like this.
  12. garytoman78
    Gingerbread Feb 22, 2018

garytoman78 , Feb 22, 2018 :
    I'm the same, I also have the Huawei watch, absolutely love it, but now has no further support for updates. Need to invest in a new one soon but personally there isn't a nicer looking watch than the Huawei. But yeah couldn't go back to analogue.

13. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Why people tend to steer away from analogue?

Tokolozi likes this.
  14. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Feb 22, 2018

yeah! all my watches are analogue, just like that style more.
    I have several ranging from this skagen, simple quartz to automatic mechanical watches.

NeVeR_SeTTLe likes this.
  15. garytoman78
    Gingerbread Feb 22, 2018

can't beat a smart watch, it is a pain charging but totally worth having emails, messages coming through for work is brilliant

16. NeVeR_SeTTLe

There is a big plus in my opinion on analogue watches compared to digital ones. I don't know about all of you but for me analogue watches allow me to use my brain and keep it functioning. Instead of succumbing to the digitized media digital systems, it is a better practice for my brain particles and make use of them in our everyday life, be it for something as small as telling time by looking at an analogue watch. We as society have become heavily dependent on digital media and tools.

Tokolozi likes this.
  17. garytoman78
    Gingerbread Feb 22, 2018

Everyone is different though, it might be for some and not for others.

18. NeVeR_SeTTLe

Correct, just stating my opinion that analogue watches are not that bad as people think.
    I find that analogue watches are much more elegant than digital ones, in terms of design. Digital watches have much more features but as you wrote, you have to charge them up constantly. I don't want a watch that I have to constantly charge, because what is the point of the watch then?

Hydra Bob and Tokolozi like this.
  19. garytoman78
    Gingerbread Feb 22, 2018

1519340611192.jpg

1519340611324.jpg

1519340611416.jpg

idkwhoiam322 and youbi like this.
  20. garytoman78
    Gingerbread Feb 22, 2018