Review: Sony MDR-10RBT Bluetooth Headphones

1. littleman00
    Froyo Feb 1, 2015

littleman00 , Feb 1, 2015 :
    Spent about a month with the Sony MDR-10RBT Bluetooth headphones, and now I feel comfortable enough to write a brief review. I'm constantly on the lookout for good Bluetooth headphones, and after some research, I settled on these. Previously, I used a pair of Klipsch Image One Bluetooth headphones, but the sound had way too much bass and a crack developed on one side after about a year. The Sony ones have a much flatter sound, which I prefer, and are much more comfortable to wear after a few hours. They're also over-the-ear, which also helps with comfort (although I know people who prefer on-the-ear because the 'seal' the cups form which can help block out sound).

These headphones feature Bluetooth 3.0 with NFC pairing. The NFC capability is nice, since it made it pairing with my OPO easy, although it's a feature I don't use often. Occasionally my phone won't pair right away with them, so I'd have to hold my phone up to the side of my head so the NFC tags would pair (and it makes me look kind of ridiculous). The battery life is good; Sony rates them at about 17 hours of playback, but I get maybe around 15 hours, which means I'm charging them every 3 days or so. I charge them via my PC through a USB 3.0 port and it usually takes a couple of hours to fully charge.

The Sony MDR-10RBT's aren't exactly "compact" like other headphones, but I don't find them too bulky, either. They fold flat, which makes them comfortable to wear around the neck when you're not using them, but I would've liked it if they could fold inward for extra portability. Build quality is good, but not great. These are basically plastic but with soft leather on the earcups and the headband. The plastic itself is pretty durable. I took these with me on a 3-week trip to Asia and they held up just fine in my bag and around my neck.

Now for sound quality. As I mentioned previously, I prefer flat sound to come out of my headphones/speakers/earbuds, etc. This is because I find the sound closer to how a song is mixed and I don't want speakers or headphones dictating how music should sound (like the lower end Beats headphones with their excessive bass - but I'll admit, the higher end Beats cans sound great). If I don't like how my music sounds, I'll use an equalizer, but I get better results if the sound is "flat" to begin with. The Sony MDR-10RBT aren't flashy, and some reviews I've read have even said that they're lacking in bass, but for me, they're balanced, handle music well at high volumes, and the around-the-ear design does a decent job of blocking out sound.

Call quality is good, but not great for crowded environments. The music controls on the right cup work fine, although I feel like the "forward/backward" switch should be reversed. While wearing, flicking the switch "backward" skips the music ahead, and flicking it "forward" does the opposite. To top things off, the cans also have a wired option if the battery dies. Speaking of the wired option, the 3.5mm audio cable has this ridged feel to it, and the material isn't stiff like some cables can be. I like this because it makes the cable easy to fold up and easy to untangle. Oh, and there's a soft carrying case that's functional, though I'd prefer a hard case for better protection.

I think they retail for about $199USD, but I got mine from eBay for less than $100. If you can grab them for $150 or less, it's a great buy, considering other Bluetooth headphones with the same performance can cost more, like the Sol Republic Tracks Air, which start around $199.99, or the Harmon-Kardon range of BT headphones, which start at $249.99

https://forums.oneplus.net/attachments/image_20-jpg.247862/

dineley likes this.
  2. Deactivated User
    Feb 1, 2015

3. dineley
    Donut Feb 1, 2015

dineley , Feb 1, 2015 :
    I have these as well... The swivel part near the ear is a little fragile had a pair break within a couple weeks but got them replaced and no problems with the new pair going on 3 months now

4. littleman00
    Froyo Feb 2, 2015

littleman00 , Feb 2, 2015 :
    The build quality is good, but not great. The plastic has enough pliability for most heads, but definitely don't go twisting the headband too much. The leather is nice and soft, though, so the headband and ear cups are super comfortable. The light weight of the cans also add to their comfort level.

5. wakoven
    Cupcake Feb 9, 2017

wakoven , Feb 9, 2017 :
    Hii littleman00!!
    In your review you mention that you are facing any kind of issue in connecting your phone with headphones. So here i want to share some solutions of this connectivity issue:
    • Make sure Bluetooth is turned on
    • Determine which pairing process your device employs
    • Turn on discoverable mode
    • Make sure the two devices are in close enough proximity to one another.
    • Power the devices off and back on
    You can also use Sony MDR-10RBT Manual to correct this issue.

6. Zh_kilat
    Android Q Feb 9, 2017

7. cassis87
    Cupcake Feb 9, 2017