Rhino Shield First Impressions/Install

1. rennat
    Froyo Aug 2, 2014

rennat , Aug 2, 2014 :
    Rhino Shield
    [​IMG]

Shipping
    Ordered my RhinoShield and it took 3 days to get to my house. Bought it on July 28th at 10pm and they had given it to USPS had it processed through USPS's shorting facility by the next day. The protector costed $24.99 and shipping in the USA is $5. A total of $29.99

Installation
    If I had to describe my screen protector installation skills it would be somewhere slightly above intermediate. I work at Best Buy and I install Zagg glass (dry install) and plastic (wet install) often, so I am familiar with the process.
    I would rate the installation to be on the easier side of installation methods and products. I used a damp (not wet) towel to lay everything on and washed my hands before hand (*pun not intended). The package came with the protector, a microfiber cloth, dust stickers, a card, and instructions.

Microfiber Cloth
    [​IMG]
    Their microfiber cloth is more clothy than zagg's microfiber cloths which are more silky. Occasionally, I find that zagg's cloths leave tiny black specs on my hands which can pose a problem for the installation. I did not notice this problem with their microfiber cloth. Also due to it's more clothy feel it seemed to better remove finger prints from the screen rather than spread the skin oils around.

Dust Stickers and Card
    [​IMG]
    It comes with dust stickers you can use to remove any dust after you have used the microfiber cloth. These are a great addition as there can easily be micro dust on the screen you can not see easily. I did notice that they can leave some sticky residue on the screen occasionally, for this I used the microfiber cloth again to remove. Still a great addition but I would rather not use the cloth again after I have stickied the screen.

Process
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The process is outlined in the instructions and is pretty straight forward. However, it does not go over a trick that I do which aids in the install. This trick is when removing the plastic off the adhesive side, only peel off half. Proceed to align the top very well at the top. Use the card to press it down as you slowly pull the rest of the plastic from the adhesive side. This aids in the making sure there are no dust particles under the protector although it may make it harder for aligning it correctly. Using the normal way of removing it all makes it easier to align but may make it slightly easier for dust particles in the air to get on the protector. After you have put it on and got all the bubbles out you take off the plastic from the front.
    There were small lines on the screen on the top that I went back and used the card and microfiber cloth to get out.
    I ended up with no bubbles or dirt particles under the protector. It was misaligned by a fraction of a millimeter to the left. Most people would call it perfect but sometimes I tend to be a perfectionist.

Fit & Cut Outs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is cut/fitted quite well. It covers the whole screen very well and has very well cut holes for the ear piece, camera, and proximity sensors. Each of those are separate cut outs. The sides are very well cut and the size is very well done. If I was nit picking, I would say the proximity sensor's cut out was a fraction of a millimeter to much to the left and the camera's was another fraction of a millimeter to the right. But that is very nit picky. The picture above of the lower right corner shows it is cut out very well. As I mentioned I misaligned it by a fraction of a fraction of a millimeter to the top left.

Clarity & Feel:
    *weather location removed from pictures. Smudges from those locations are edits not the protector
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was my only worry about it when ordering. I was preferring the glass protectors for their feel and clarity but I was pleasantly surprised at it's clarity and feel. It is very clear. You will not notice a difference in the colors on the screen unless your eye is very trained. I would say that glass would be more clear but I have no picky problems with the clarity of the protector. The feel is also very good. It does not grab your finger the way other protectors may. You will have no problems with all your swipes and taps. There still is a slight difference between the glass and rhino shield, but it is very close to what glass can offer. Finger prints are about the same from the coating that OnePlus has on their glass. It may have been ever so ever so slightly easier to remove from the stock glass but I am starting to get picky again. It does reduce the glare ever so slightly which is a plus but overall, glare is very similar to the actual glass screen.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

2. Theendgamelv3
    Froyo Aug 2, 2014

3. rennat
    Froyo Aug 2, 2014

rennat , Aug 2, 2014 :
    I would lead to believe it would work well with cases because it is cut out very well and the nature of the chrome outliner of the oneplus one.

4. Slomo34
    Froyo Aug 2, 2014

5. rennat
    Froyo Aug 2, 2014

rennat , Aug 2, 2014 :
    Oh I'll add that to the post. It was $24.99 and $5 shipping so.. $29.99 shipped in the USA.

Slomo34 likes this.
  6. almondbetter
    Gingerbread Aug 2, 2014

7. erictjf
    KitKat Aug 2, 2014

8. kawaii
    Honeycomb Aug 2, 2014

kawaii , Aug 2, 2014 :
    you can easily buy 3 tempered glass protectors for the price of one rhino, plus tempered glass feels better

9. Zolowow
    Eclair Aug 2, 2014

Zolowow , Aug 2, 2014 :
    Nice! I'm waiting for my Rhino Shield, just found a 10% discount code at youtube, in discription on this guy video:

The code is : RSREF10%
    I think that, this guy could get some benefits for using his discount code but I really don't care if I can buy this screen protector cheaper, I think its good deal.
    Discount code will work till 5 august.

Maybe do you recommend any bumper or case to compare with Rhino Shield? :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

XGUESS likes this.
  10. basrone
    Jelly Bean Aug 2, 2014

basrone , Aug 2, 2014 :
    What made you decide on this vs a tempered glass protector?
    Nice install how to by the way!
    Thanks.

11. chaunceyau
    Donut Aug 3, 2014

12. Kokorone
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2014

Kokorone , Aug 3, 2014 :
    Your picture of Miku makes her look more than a little high. haha

13. rennat
    Froyo Aug 3, 2014

rennat , Aug 3, 2014 :
    I am not going to get a case for my One as it is already big enough for me to handle and I am really good with taking care of my phones. I hate the normal plastic wet install protectors and was going to get a glass one but the protection caught my eye with the rhino shield. On closer look it really does it's job and it seemed to be a clear and hard protector. I don't mind spending some money for a protector if it does the job and will last. Like someone mentioned above you can but 3 glass protectors for the price of the rhino shield but I can buy 35 glass protectors for the price of buying a new OnePlus One... Quality is the only factor for me if it is under $35

I am totally good with the how it feels on my screen.
    I didn't notice any need to adjust the normal auto brightness before I put it on as I normally use Lux from the play store to adjust the brightness. After I put it on, I am wanting a slightly brighter screen now so I am using lux to adjust the auto brightness just slightly. It is a clear protector but I would day there is a subconscious difference between it and the crystal clarity of glass.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

Beedeezy14 and basrone like this.
  14. paulissimo
    KitKat Aug 3, 2014

mohammadhelmy likes this.
  15. mohammadhelmy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2014

mohammadhelmy , Aug 3, 2014 :
    It's worthy... I take a long time to think about it :D But finally I decided to buy it instead of buying an expensive case, so I bought the RhinoShield and a normal Bumper :D
    Good luck ;)

paulissimo likes this.
  16. waltjr98
    Donut Aug 7, 2014

17. MINE
    Froyo Aug 7, 2014

18. MediocreBadGuy
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2014

MediocreBadGuy , Aug 7, 2014 :
    My OnePlus One and RhinoShield both came the same day at the same time. Installed right out of the box. Looks very clean.

19. jay ray
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 7, 2014

jay ray , Aug 7, 2014 :
    I just ordered this as well... And thank goodness for your review. Very clear and detailed. You should do YouTube reviews.

20. andrewhennessy
    Donut Aug 27, 2014