Ring, Vibrate, and Silent. Please help with the Alert Slider!

1. teffisk11
    Froyo May 18, 2017

teffisk11 , May 18, 2017 :
    I'm confused by how OnePlus wants us to use the Alert Slider. There isn't an option to have true vibrate and silent positions. Here is what I mean:

- Down is normal ring. This is fine, just like any other phone.
    - Middle is 'do not disturb', a mode that in theory allows certain things through. In this mode, all system noises still come through (anything that isn't an incoming notification - camera shutter, keyboard taps, Facebook messenger, screen lock noise, etc). So, noises still come pouring out of the phone in the mode. PROBLEM!
    - Top is silent OR vibrate. This depends on your configuration in this part of setting. You can't have both which is what I want.

This is a huge frustration I have with this phone. Sometimes I want my phone on vibrate! At night or in a meeting, I want complete silence!

What alert slider mode do you place your phone in when at night (sleeping), a meeting, a theater, at school/work, etc?

2. F_João_Júlio_BWVW
    Cupcake May 18, 2017

F_João_Júlio_BWVW , May 18, 2017 :
    I have the same problem as you. I hate the new configuration. In marshmallow the phone would allow you to put it in vibrate only quite easily. all you had to do was, when in normal or do not disturb modes, pull down the volume until it would be in vibrate. And you had the silent mode has it is now. After the update you have to go to settings and change the silent mode to vibration.
    This is awful and frustrating and although many people at the time said they didn't like it and asked OnePlus to give it back, nothing changed.
    Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

3. jtodd98
    Froyo May 18, 2017

jtodd98 , May 18, 2017 :
    Welcome to the party pal! Many here have a problem with the broken slider settings that OP has pushed out. They have said they are going to fix it, but that was a month ago and none of the beta's have addressed it.

4. projuker99
    Donut May 18, 2017

5. Fursan Afzal
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 19, 2017

Fursan Afzal , May 19, 2017 :
    i would like the dnd to be converted to vibrate as i think it is completely useless atleast for me.

6. Harmageddon
    Cupcake Jun 5, 2017

Harmageddon , Jun 5, 2017 :
    It would be really great if OnePlus could fix this bug, especially this one:
    When in "do not disturb" mode, which I'd like to use as a completely silent mode, I can't set the notification sound volume below 14% since the Android N update. Thus, the sounds of the camera and of sending WhatsApp messages etc. still play at 14%. Please just give us back the option to reduce all sounds down to 0 in all modes!

7. jtodd98
    Froyo Jun 5, 2017

8. G_Thomas_McGowan_Kcin
    Donut Jun 8, 2017

G_Thomas_McGowan_Kcin , Jun 8, 2017 :
    OP does not bother at all, they think they can decide fr their customers but I know I won't buy an OP anymore even though they are great phones, this really sucks.
    In Marshmallow it was just perfect, now they broke everything. Promised a fix 3 month ago and it never came. I'm just angry at them. I wish I could revert to the Marshallow version of OxygenOS.

9. markstrmr
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2017

markstrmr , Jun 8, 2017 :
    Just piling on here because this is still ridiculous.

Every time there is an update I get my hopes up that they've finally fixed this as it's been months but I just updated again and it still isn't an option.

This is my biggest issue with the phone and it's incredibly annoying to have to go into a menu to silence the phone, this is worse than not having the slider at all.

I'd like to stick with OnePlus but if they can't even let me easily silence my phone I don't know how I can buy another one or recommend one to anybody else.

10. jtodd98
    Froyo Jun 8, 2017

jtodd98 , Jun 8, 2017 :
    OnePlus has released multiple updates and even more betas in the months since a fix was stated to be in the works. Not one of those updates even attempted to address this awful, buggy slider settings. I have had the OP3 for almost a year now, and half of that has been with it being unused because I can't rely on it for notifications, either not to interfere in meetings or to actually get notifications. It is ridiculous that such a simple function of a smartphone, volume control and vibrate, could be fouled up to the point OP has.

This has convinced me that I will not purchase any OP devices again.

11. JackFou
    Froyo Jun 8, 2017

JackFou , Jun 8, 2017 :
    It used to work just fine in the 2.X version of the OS. with the switch to 4.X around new year's they introduced this new behaviour and it's been annoying the hell out of me ever since.

If it doesn't get fixed soon I might just have to use a different phone. The alert slider is a great idea but the way it currently works it actually gets in the way of things instead of being helpful. I really can't believe that on this phone it's so much of a hassle to switch from vibration to true silent.

12. jtodd98
    Froyo Jun 8, 2017

jtodd98 , Jun 8, 2017 :
    Well, by removing the simple ability to turn the volume down to 0, the phone really doesn't have a true silent/DND mode. Even when keeping vibrate off in the top position of the slider, the phone still makes noises for some apps. Argh, how is this even possible in a non beta firmware on a phone hoping to compete with premium devices.

It's getting to the point that the OnePlus motto should be "Always settle for annoying notifications!"

13. nutzaalex
    Froyo Jun 8, 2017

nutzaalex , Jun 8, 2017 :
    I also wish each of those 3 components would have more options to choose from when configuring as well as the option of swapping the order in which they activate from the button like silent to be button down not up.

chandrujae and JackFou like this.
  14. ginnamann
    Froyo Jun 9, 2017

ginnamann , Jun 9, 2017 :
    when silder is down it is normal mode where you can hear all the sounds of notifications, calls, alarms etc
    when you slide up do not disturb gets activated which deactivates notification sounds and calls which have to be configured in the settings and third one is silent mode all sounds will be disabled not even alarm will be activated in that mode

Q1511376526254 likes this.
  15. G_Thomas_McGowan_Kcin
    Donut Jun 9, 2017

G_Thomas_McGowan_Kcin , Jun 9, 2017 :
    I am going to sell my OP3 and buy a phone from a proper brand. I used to love my OP3 whan I bought it but the OxygenOS upgrade to Nougat ruined everything! OP seems to not bother at all which is sad

16. jtodd98
    Froyo Jun 9, 2017

jtodd98 , Jun 9, 2017 :
    My N6P has been a much more reliable and functional phone on Nougat than my OP3, by a longshot. OnePlus' refusal to address this issue has convinced me that my next phone will not be the OP5, as it will have the same issue.

G_Thomas_McGowan_Kcin likes this.
  17. Grimmy123
    Donut Jun 9, 2017

Grimmy123 , Jun 9, 2017 :
    I hate this, one option for silent and one option for vibrate and a final option for loud would be so much better

G_Thomas_McGowan_Kcin likes this.
  18. F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 9, 2017

F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm , Jun 9, 2017 :
    omfg did you even try to use google search there are several ways how to achieve what you want just dont be a lazy one which rather complains the searches for a solution ... fyi i running nugat ROM an i have my slider setuped so it is behaving like Ring-vibrate-total silence....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

migarcia likes this.
  19. G_Thomas_McGowan_Kcin
    Donut Jun 10, 2017

G_Thomas_McGowan_Kcin , Jun 10, 2017 :
    OP is lazy then if that's so easy! It used to be perfect in OS2.X why break it then?
    FYI I searched Google and I didn't find the way to have :
    on top slider pos : volume down to zero + vibrate
    on bottom slider pos : silent without vibrate

20. Vjk1+
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2017