[ROM][7.1.2_r4][EAS] Phoenix AEX ROM V4.1[PocketJudge/OMS/DUI][OP3/3T]

1. elanglois
    Lollipop May 5, 2017

elanglois , May 5, 2017 :
    After seeing the direction of OB6 (useless UI tweaks and breaking things that worked great on my device rather than fixing anything or adding usefule features), I decided to go ROM shopping. I found a very interesting ROM I thought I'd share with everyone.

Full details are at the XDA thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/on...nt/rom-phoenix-aospextended-rom-v3-2-t3563765

Phoenix AEX ROM can be compared to Resurrection Remix in terms of overall style, although not quite as many features (but its close), and unlike Remix, it's based on AOSP (AEX = Aosp EXtended) rather than Cyanogen/Lineage. At it's core is is Linux 3.18.31 EAS kernel. For those that don't know, EAS is a new trick. It stands for Energy Aware Scheduling (https://developer.arm.com/open-source/energy-aware-scheduling) which is basically a way of making the Linux kernel aware of the energy consumption profiles of the cores so it can determine if its better to turn on a new core, crank up the juice, or run on a BIG core, etc. The technology is pretty much brand new and this is one of two ROMs that support it on our devices, the other being Vortex which has fewer features (closer to stock AOSP).

On top of that is Nougat 7.1.2, with an April 5 security clearance. It has all sort of app permission management (view apps by permission), an easy to access service/process manager, configurable everything, and your choice of normal or slim recents. Launcher is your choice of Google or Pixel launchers (Google allows custom icons, Pixel has the cool slide up app drawer, so I installed Nova so I can have both). OnePlus launcher won't work (I think, not actually tried TBH), and that means OnePlus's Shot On OnePlus wallpaper switcher isn't going to work either. Leave it to OnePlus to ignore the existing APIs so that you can't use the app on another ROM, or even another Launcher.

Phoenix moves a bunch of OnePlus stock apps into the ROM rather than using the boring AOSP apps, plus a huge array of features. Before you ask "Does it support ...", the answer is YES. Even dash charging and alert slider (which is infinitely configurable). It even includes a built-in automatic camera HAL switcher so that you can pretty much install any camera you want and it uses the right HAL. It comes with Google and OnePlus cameras. If you like theming, full OMS/Substratum support is included. You'll add your own root. An EQ is included, but I've added ARISE to mine.

Showing pictures of the Launcher would be pointless since you've seen all that, but here's a showing of a couple features ...

Screenshot_20170505-045339.png

Screenshot_20170505-045435.png
    Screenshot_20170505-052326.png

2. Cactaceous
    Eclair May 5, 2017

Cactaceous , May 5, 2017 :
    just flashed it on your recommendation.. very impressive ROM with a good set of features.. Thanks! :)

3. elanglois
    Lollipop May 5, 2017

elanglois , May 5, 2017 :
    Glad its working out. Its my new daily driver. There are a few issues, such as lack of scrolling screenshots, but the developer seems to be good about updates.

lostLambda and Cactaceous like this.
  4. isthatxavier
    Honeycomb May 6, 2017

isthatxavier , May 6, 2017 :
    How is battery? Can you post some bat stats including idle, Android and system os?
    Thanks for suggesting this one!

5. elanglois
    Lollipop May 6, 2017

elanglois , May 6, 2017 :
    Most people on the thread hail the battery stats. I'm not sure if posting such a thing is a good indicator since I get great battery life anyway since I don't use Facebook, WhatsApp, or any of that, and I don't care about push notifications (I'll play with my phone when I'm ready ... not when the phone wants me to — I'm the master!)

Worse, I work today, so my phone is mostly idle. I'm at lunch now.

1494040852560.jpg

There are some good utilities for taming battery. The task manager in quick settings is great, and you can turn off GPS and/or data when the screen is off (with a configurable delay). It also has wakelock and alarm blockers should you feel the need.

Vedant620, Kuldborg and isthatxavier like this.
  6. elanglois
    Lollipop May 6, 2017

elanglois , May 6, 2017 :
    Also, you can deny the ability for specific apps to run in the background and/or keep the phone awake under App Ops rather than killing all wakelocks/alarms globally. This can force some apps to behave.

7. Konamy
    Froyo May 6, 2017

Konamy , May 6, 2017 :
    Stock camera included? Nice... The battery is really better than Stock?

8. elanglois
    Lollipop May 7, 2017

9. fahad_maniar
    Gingerbread May 8, 2017

fahad_maniar , May 8, 2017 :
    Thank you for the review @elanglois. Appreciate it. I just wanted to ask if you've tried freedom OS? and do you think this is better in terms of functionality, customization, stability and battery life when compared to freedom OS? Thank you in advance.

10. elanglois
    Lollipop May 11, 2017

elanglois , May 11, 2017 :
    Yeah. Freedom OS is just Oxygen OS but they added Viper and Magisk and stuff like that in the installer. Freedom has nothing you can't flash on top of stock Oxygen OS.

Phoenix is a whole new ROM, built from source. It originates in AOSP source (not Lineage) just like OOS, but adds plenty of useful features. Many of these can tame apps by preventing them from running in the background if you don't want them to, disabling wakelocks/alarms, a task killer, etc. I would say its better than Freedom in every way, although battery/performance is similar using blu spark on top of Freedom.

Phoenix does not come with Magisk or Viper but they are easy flash yourself. It does come with full support for substratum, which isn't possible with OOS (unless OP gets their head out of their @ss)

theshinybeast and fahad_maniar like this.
  11. elanglois
    Lollipop May 11, 2017

Maybe someone that has problems with these could do so. My stats are consistently excellent.

12. fahad_maniar
    Gingerbread May 11, 2017

fahad_maniar , May 11, 2017 :
    Haha i agree with the last line lol.. Thanks for the explanation btw.. I'll do some more research on these thinge esp kernels as i am trying these things for the first time.. (Never tried any custom rom or kernel on my op3) though i had magisk installed and i did the same with Phoenix aex

Just one last question..you think phoenix is the best rom that you've tried till date? Or is there something else that you'd prefer over this in terms of battery life and performance.. Or any custom rom and kernel combination that you think is the best? Thanks.

13. elanglois
    Lollipop May 11, 2017

I think best is different for everyone. But Phoenix is the one I'm on board with and poking the Dev into making a few changes :)

14. fahad_maniar
    Gingerbread May 11, 2017

fahad_maniar , May 11, 2017 :
    Best in the sense the best battery life and performance.. I can sacrifice the custom functionalities that roms like phoenix and RR offer.

And yeah i read the forums on XDA and i saw your comments too in the thread..I appreciate your efforts and the feedback you're giving and helping others :)

I am following the thread for updates and know more about this rom and everything.. I'll do my part if i think i can contribute in any way..thanks again

15. stalvatero
    Froyo May 12, 2017

stalvatero , May 12, 2017 :
    I think "stock camera included" does not mean stock photo quality... @elanglois correct me if I'm wrong. the problem is related to the camera driver of OxygenOS that could be not included in any AOSP based Rom. So regardless of which camera do you use in a Rom, the photo quality (and video too) cannot be never compared to the original one.

This is really the only thing that stop me trying other Rom outside of OOS.

16. elanglois
    Lollipop May 13, 2017

elanglois , May 13, 2017 :
    Please read the thread on XDA. This ROM automatically switches camera HALs on the fly. It uses the OOS HAL when using OOS Camera. It will be exactly the same.

Amazing ROM

17. stalvatero
    Froyo May 13, 2017

stalvatero , May 13, 2017 :
    for sure uses OOS HAL, but not OOS driver. HAL subsystem is the architecture with which system framework connect API the the camera driver. This not mean that this ROM uses OOs camera driver but only the same HAL, the same connection architecture.

18. elanglois
    Lollipop May 14, 2017

elanglois , May 14, 2017 :
    yes, but the hardware drivers are usually pretty generic with the HAL doing the tweaking that determines quality. Also, OnePlus releases sources so the driver should be exactly the same. It may not be the most up to date version, but I doubt there has been driver changes recently, just HAL changes.

19. stalvatero
    Froyo May 14, 2017

stalvatero , May 14, 2017 :
    I'm not a dev, but I think that the situation is a little different. OnePlus released kernel source but did non provided camera driver that are exclusive property of OnePlus probably due to the manufacturer rights.
    So in AOSP ROM are included generic open source driver. Maybe they are good, but not exactly the ones created for that specific camera.
    I invite you to make a comparison of a photo shot by stock OOS and the same shot with this ROM.

I remember the earliest Linux distribution with Nvidia generic driver... they works great for years, but only when Nvidia released their own driver Linux distros open the door to game and apps that requires complex graphic data.

For what I know, except for Sony that has it's own AOSP project, no smartphone producer release property driver and so I haven't seen in the world of ROM modding a single ROM for any device in commerce that has photo quality like the stock ROM.

But I really hope that someone can disprove me.

20. elanglois
    Lollipop May 14, 2017

elanglois , May 14, 2017 :
    Doesn't work that way. All drivers link into the kernel and that means the source is GPL. That is by law. They can't use Android without obeying that.

That's why the HAL has all the magick. They can make that closed sourced, and they did make it proprietary. However, we can simply include their binary even though we can't modify it.