[ROM][7.1.2_r4][EAS] Phoenix AEX ROM V4.1[PocketJudge/OMS/DUI][OP3/3T]

1. G_JZ_Chan_OfOd
    Eclair Jul 23, 2017

G_JZ_Chan_OfOd , Jul 23, 2017 :
    I see. Let it rest, I prefer not to get too technical. ;)

2. fahad_maniar
    Gingerbread Jul 24, 2017

fahad_maniar , Jul 24, 2017 :
    @elanglois just wanted to ask you still on paex with the stock kernel? Or you found anything better than that?

3. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 24, 2017

elanglois , Jul 24, 2017 :
    I was using 4.2 PAEX with RenderBroken's stock kernel. I'm on Vertex OS at the moment as part of a ROM roundup, testing different ROMs. It has fewer features, but I'm liking it. The biggest issue is I can't get rid of Recents and no alternatives are built in. I've installed Omniswitch, but using the tab handle rather than the button is hard to get used to.

I'll be testing the latest PAEX and posting results. Originally, I was going to test AOSPA as well, but I had some rather severe problems with it that seem to be rather common. I don't consider it a candidate anymore until the bugs are addressed.

I considered adding Zenity or OwnROM to the list, but decided to call it quits. And my camera test is kinda pointless since Vertex and PAEX both use OOS camera. I'm finishing up some performance testing now and will install the new PAEX for test next. Honestly, I may end up putting Vertex back on!

4. fahad_maniar
    Gingerbread Jul 24, 2017

fahad_maniar , Jul 24, 2017 :
    Hmm interesting.. You mentioned the recents problem with vertex but you are still preferring it over PAEX? Any specific reason? And does it have any edge in functionality or anything over PAEX that you would like to mention?

I would be looking forward to your answer after you have tested the roms.. So do post the results of your experience please.

And one more thing i am on 4.2 on PAEX as of now..i tried 4.4 but i didn't like it.. I found it a bit sluggish and not so smooth like 4.2 and even the battery life took a hit on 4.4. So i would like you to just clear my doubt and maybe test both versions if you can and let me know your results because many people have said that 4.2 seems faster and better than the current one. So I would like to know your thoughts on that too.

5. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2017

elanglois , Jul 25, 2017 :
    I used 4.2 for awhile and about to test 4.4.

Vertex isn't a heavy feature ROM. It's more minimal. The Dev is the one that wrote the PowerHAL for Render's Kernel. Basically, the powerhal is the ROM side of EAS. There are a couple neat surprises, like you can clear battery stats with a tap. The main stuff is there like Ambient Display, OOS Camera, etc, but it's mostly just plain AOSP.

So I'm hoping the Dev will add a quick hack to let my Recents button activate OmniSwitch. Until then, I have to use the drag handle. The kernel is very fast and gave the best Vellamo score so far and decent enough battery with no crashes. I'm also using DCI-P3 with it (no switch for it in the ROM but easy to turn on). The main thing is it's open source, so I can add my own features if I want, like Omniswitch. Open Source also means peer review. Having the code open gives you a piece of mind you can't get anywhere else.

fahad_maniar likes this.
  6. G_JZ_Chan_OfOd
    Eclair Jul 25, 2017

G_JZ_Chan_OfOd , Jul 25, 2017 :
    Hi there, yeah I'm on v4.4, noticed on gaming now has worse performance, lag can be obvious. An user on xda said he flashed blu spark kernel on v4.4, and performance is back to tip top. It sounds like a kernel issue, but I don't know much, as the developer has add some of his own tweaks to the kernel.

fahad_maniar likes this.
  7. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2017

Try RenderZenith kernel from the VertexOS project. Blue spark is good, but the point of PAEX is EAS and blue spark is still HMP.

However, I used the blue active governor in my OnePlus One ROM. Blue active is really nice, but EAS was a bit more performant. I'm on OwnROM now. It's Lineage based and kinda feature heavy, kinda nice. Its stock kernel doesn't support DCI p3, but Zenith is an option About to switch back to its stock kernel and do some benchmarks

8. G_JZ_Chan_OfOd
    Eclair Jul 25, 2017

Yeah I heard about RenderZenith too. Might give that a shot, as it's still EAS.

I see. Holding PAEX until later?

What does DCI p3 can do, is it to calibrate the display colour?

9. G_JZ_Chan_OfOd
    Eclair Jul 25, 2017

Sir the latest version of RenderZenith kernel, there are 2, 1 ended with v3, another ended with dcip3. Any particular differences?

Attached Files:

10. fahad_maniar
    Gingerbread Jul 25, 2017

fahad_maniar , Jul 25, 2017 :
    Yeah even i read that..but i didn't wanted to flash blu spark kernel as it's not EAS. I wanted to be on the stock kernel as it's recommended with the rom. People have even complained about the lags in games in 4.4. It was just not working for me so i downgraded to 4.2. Let's see what the future updates hold.

11. fahad_maniar
    Gingerbread Jul 25, 2017

fahad_maniar , Jul 25, 2017 :
    Oh wow it's open source? I didnt know that. That's nice. I installed PAEX after reading your review on this post and was happy till 4.2. I wouldn't mind trying vertex if there is no downside as compared to PAEX as i love this rom.

I'll be waiting for your test results and maybe try vertex if you recommend it and please post how you feel about 4.4 as well.

12. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2017

Didn't check the Changelog, but v3 is newer and includes the dcip3 support.

Yes, the DCI p3 is a setting in the hardware. You'll need a 3T with the "A5" display (the one used in the OP5 - I don't think any OP3's have it). It's a color profile used in many newer 4K TVs. It's an extended color space, so displaying content designed for regular screens (sRGB) will be oversaturated. However, OnePlus didn't use sRGB by default but rather NTSC, a useless non standard that not a single device ever adhered to. To me, sRGB feels a bit washed out with grey/pink whites while default felt like someone is raping my eyes with my screen! It hurts! And reds all look like some shade of fire. DCIp3 is more saturated than sRGB without looking like a scene from the Wizard Of Oz, with natural bright whites, and deeper reds that don't burn. It's the look I could never get with any amount of tuning.

The ROM itself doesn't support it, but its easy to turn in with root or 3rd party apps.

13. G_JZ_Chan_OfOd
    Eclair Jul 26, 2017

G_JZ_Chan_OfOd , Jul 26, 2017 :
    Yes, I think I'm gonna try RenderZenith version, it's still EAS. I noticed during gaming, when the CPU reach around 50℃, the performance suffer.

fahad_maniar likes this.
  14. G_JZ_Chan_OfOd
    Eclair Jul 26, 2017

Weird, tried RenderZenith kernel on my PAEX v4.4 0719 build, 3 issues:
    1) Backlight for hardware buttons stay on even if I turn them off.

2) sRGB wouldn't stick. Even if I disable and re-enable it, as soon as I turn off the screen, it got disabled again when I turn on the screen.

3) DCI p3 didn't work for me while I was on RenderZenith kernel. Terminal emulator said couldn't create file or so, and permission denied.

Pretty sure my 3T is on A5. So after the 3 aforementioned issues, I flashed back Render Broken R7 Walt kernel.

Attached Files:

15. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 26, 2017

elanglois , Jul 26, 2017 :
    1. You want
    echo "2" >/sys/class/misc/btk_control/btkc_mode
    If you want the OOS mode, use 1. I use 0 to control them myself and I think 2 is off. If 2 fails, try 0 or 1. And obviously, use root, so "su" first.

2. Odd. Not sure as I don't like sRGB

3. Joshuous got the case wrong on the node. I already told him about it. You just need to match the case (after su) ....
    echo "1" >/sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fb0/dci_p3

16. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 26, 2017

Thermal throttling will occur on all systems, although 50 seems low for throttling.

17. G_JZ_Chan_OfOd
    Eclair Jul 26, 2017

1) Didn't try it as I'm back on RenderBroken's official R7 version.

2) Yes odd. Probably compatibility issue with PAEX. I didn't like it too, but it's better than the original over saturated colour.

3) After su, I input this:

echo 1 > sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fb0/DCI_P3

And I got permission denied.

18. G_JZ_Chan_OfOd
    Eclair Jul 26, 2017

Yes, not sure if it's the latest version has kernel tweaking issues. The Dev mentioned in change log there are many changes, aiming to fixed freeze on f2fs.

I got the same temperature in v4.2, and no throttling that makes gaming lag.

19. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 26, 2017

I've been stalling om my PAEX test in case he fixes some of this, but with 2 open source EAS ROMs there is less reason. I think I'm going with Vertex and I'll not even bother with the PAEX test. I know the ROM and I can see the latest changes.

FYI, RenderZenith has been testing FASTER than blue spark on my tests!

20. G_JZ_Chan_OfOd
    Eclair Jul 26, 2017

Ah, that's a shame if you decide to abort on PAEX test. How's OwnROM?

You mean Zenith kernel is faster than blu spark in your test?