Root Android Q via OnePlus 6

1. Sachin.M
    Donut Apr 7, 2020

Sachin.M , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 7, 2020 :
    I Installed latest Android Q update on my Op6 and want to root it.
    I tried using bluspark twrp 9 96 but didn't work out
    went to Fastboot mode after typing boot twrp command, phone restarted and got stuck on the screen where there is one plus logo with Fastboot mode text.
    I have to manually restart the phone and it boots to the os

please suggest

2. Artemus.
    Nougat Apr 7, 2020

Artemus. , Apr 7, 2020 :
    Describe the steps you used.

3. Sachin.M
    Donut Apr 10, 2020

Sachin.M , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 10, 2020 :
    shutdown phone.
    Went to Fastboot mode
    connect usb cable
    used Fastboot devices and found my device listed
    used Fastboot boot twrp.img
    after this phone restarted and got stuck on a screen which had 1+ logo and Fastboot mode wriiten
    had to disconnect the usb cable and hold the power button to restart the phone, phone then booted to OS instead of twrp

4. ronaksworld
    Jelly Bean Apr 10, 2020

ronaksworld , Apr 10, 2020 :
    Its possible to root without TWRP if your interested.

5. Sachin.M
    Donut Apr 10, 2020

6. Sachin.M
    Donut Apr 11, 2020

7. ronaksworld
    Jelly Bean Apr 12, 2020

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020

8. ronaksworld
    Jelly Bean Apr 12, 2020

ronaksworld , Apr 12, 2020 :
    Things you might need these files

Payload Dumper (to extract the stock *.img files)
    OTA Full Stock Image
    ADB minimal tool
    Magisk Manager APK
    Drivers (or Backup when you connect your phone)

After downloading all the above files we can now proceed, Extract the the Payload Dumper in desktop "payload_dumper"

Now open the OTA Full Stock Image and select "payload.bin" file and extract it to your "c:\users\xxxx\desktop\payload_dumper\payload_input" after its extracted, simply Run "payload_dumper.exe" and wait patently till it extracts the file in "payload_output" folder.

Till the time files are being extracted you can start to proceed Settings\About Phone\ and then click on Build Number 10 times and enable Developer Options,

Now in developer options, enable "USB debugging" and "Enable OEM unlocking"

Unlocking Bootloader

Make sure you have installed the ADB Drivers, then Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power or select reboot to bootloader if advanced reboot is activated via developer options. The phone will display "fastboot" text indicating that it has successfully entered fastboot mode.

Plug the phone into your PC, then open a command prompt window on the desktop (Shift + Right Click -> Open Command Window here) and type:

fastboot devices

This command will list the connected devices. If your phones serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.

If the phone has been recognised by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command:

Remember this Step will WIPE EVERYTHING off the phone so Backup all your Data

fastboot oem unlock

You would be greeted with a Unlock Bootloader Warning page, Hit the Vol button to select Yes and turn it Blue and Hit the Power Button to Execute the selection

Your device will reboot, show you a Secure boot warning, reboot into stock recovery and wipe all data. Once done, your phone will reboot into the OS.

Do not setup google yet simply skip and enter the OS, Re-enable the USB Debugging option and make sure OEM Unlocking is still turned on (DO NOT TURN IT OFF AT ALL)

Install the Magisk Manager and launch it, make sure you have copied the boot.img from the "payload_output" folder to your phone,

Click on ‘Install>Install> Select and Patch a file’, a new file is created named patched_magisk.img

simply copy this file to your pc and use

fastboot flash patched_magisk.img

and then fastboot reboot.

Now you should have a rooted device login to playstore and download root checker and see it all works

Sachin.M likes this.
  9. Sachin.M
    Donut Apr 12, 2020

Sachin.M , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 12, 2020 :
    this was fantastic, however in case I want to flash any new kernel/firmware how can I do that
    due to lack of twrp, I won't get those option

10. ronaksworld
    Jelly Bean Apr 16, 2020

ronaksworld , Apr 16, 2020 :
    once you have rooted there are ways to Flash Twrp you can search on XDA Developer,

I tired on mine to get TWRP working but didn't work so I haven't posted it., (Playstore has Kernel apps you can try working with stock os)

I alway prefer my phone to OxygenOS stock os with root access, except when shelf life does I play with kernels.

11. BhavyaMehta0786
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 28, 2020