Root + CF.Lumen = Boot Loop

1. pure.by
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2015

pure.by , Oct 31, 2015 :
    IMPORTANT 2016.02.16 UPDATE: CF.LUMEN v3.60 WORKS NOW! [ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED]

Tested on OxygenOS 2.2.0 + Boeffla kernel. Confirmed on stock kernel by @mayursawant .

Since I'm using Boeffla's advanced KCAL settings to correct poor OP2 screen colors, I am ultimately happy to add that there is no conflict when using Cf.Lumen driver and Boeffla's KCAL configuration at the same time!
    I can switch Cf.Lumen's Red Filter on and off whenever I want, and Boeffla's KCAL settings are not influenced by that. Cf.Lumen filter is simply applied on top of whatever KCAL settings are set in Boeffla Config app.

In case you are interested in what I just said: flash Boeffla kernel, install Boeffla Config App and change your screen color settings to this:
    • Red: 255
    • Green: 255 (I prefer 250)
    • Blue: 255 (I prefer 245)

• Saturation: 270 (+15)
    • Display value: 245 (−10)
    • Contrast: 265 (+10)
    Now enjoy your hardware upgrade and thank me later ;-)

Hello everyone! I have just rooted my OP2 successfully with the latest TWRP and SuperSU. The main (if not the only) reason I rooted is CF.Lumen app, so that I can use the phone at night without hurting my eyes.

Now, the problem is that when I install CF.Lumen, give it root access and try to save my location, it sends my phone in a strange kind of "bootloop"* — phone boots fine up to the lockscreen, then immediately restarts itself and so it goes...

The boot loop isn't an issue because I've made a backup in TWRP and when I restore the backup everything is back to normal.
    The issue is — I can't use CF.Lumen!

I tried restoring the backup, rooting and installing CF.Lumen like 5 or 6 times, but it all ends with phone crashing at lockscreen.*

Anyone having similar issues with CF.Lumen or other root-level apps? Anyone knows how to fix this?
    Thanks for all the answers in advance!

Edit: I'm not looking for an alternative to CF.Lumen, I'm looking for a solution to get CF.Lumen to work.

Technical details:
    • Phone: OP2
    • ROM: (Stock) Oxygen OS 2.1.1
    • Kernel: (Stock) Oxygen Kernel (3.10.49)
    • Root access: latest SuperSU
    • Recovery: TWRP 2.8.7.0 (latest as of 2015-10-31 downloaded from https://dl.twrp.me/oneplus2/)
    • CF.Lumen version: 3.16**

Edit #2 — Most likely my phone ended up in a "bootloop" because I probably had the "Run on system startup" flag checked. I guess if that's unchecked, it will just crash the phone once.

** EDIT #3 — CF.Lumen v3.00 did not work either.
    No reboot this time, location saved correctly, driver installed successfully. But screen color simply does not change when CF.Lumen driver is selected.

• Tried both sunset and master filters.
    • Tried both driver installation methods: Normal method worked (but no color change eventually), Recovery method did not install the driver correctly (everything looked good in TWRP but Cf.Lumen app kept asking for driver installation every time after system startup).
    • KCAL driver is not present in the driver list in CF.Lumen v3.00 in my case (stock Oxygen ROM & stock kernel).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

2. Tokolozi
    The Lab Reviewer - OPPO Find N Oct 31, 2015

Tokolozi , Oct 31, 2015 :
    Arn't there free apps that don't require root to reduce eyestrain at night?

BassVity likes this.
  3. pure.by
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2015

pure.by , Oct 31, 2015 :
    No. A root-level driver is needed to change colors of the screen.

4. Tokolozi

Maquuuu likes this.
  5. Maquuuu
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2015

Maquuuu , Oct 31, 2015 :
    What about Bluelight Filter, EasyEyes or Twilight?
    E: From what I see a couple of people are having problems with soft bricks. Have you tried contacting the developers yet?

Tokolozi likes this.
  6. Tokolozi

Tadaa!

7. pure.by
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2015

pure.by , Oct 31, 2015 :
    Thanks for thinking with me guys, but just to make it clear: I'm not looking for an alternative to CF.Lumen, I'm looking for a solution to get CF.Lumen to work.

All those alternative apps display an ugly overlay which does not filter out nearly as much blue and green as CF.Lumen does, and they actually increase the eye-strain by reducing the contrast dramatically.
    CF.Lumen can do that too without the root access. It's the root access to change display color that I need.

8. Tokolozi

Well never used CF.Lumen, but I know with root and AK.kernel and synapse I can tweek individual colours, maybe just try AK kernel (with or without CL)?

9. pure.by
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2015

pure.by , Oct 31, 2015 :
    I did not, and I will only do that after I have performed a clean install of Oxygen OS, because I'm 90% positive a clean install will solve this issue.

I was just hoping someone could think of a less drastic measure to try first, because I don't know any.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

Maquuuu likes this.
  10. pure.by
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2015

pure.by , Oct 31, 2015 :
    The thing is, CF.Lumen changes colors gradually depending on sunrise and sunset times, and during my sleeping hours it turns screen all the way black-and-red.
    On top of that, I wouldn't even know what colors to choose — the fellas at Chainfire did the research, and they did it pretty damn good.

Once again, I'm not looking for an alternative. I want to get CF.Lumen running, and hopefully by not having to do a full clean re-install of Oxygen OS.

11. Tokolozi

that's why I am saying try CL with AK kernel, could be that the stock kernel doesn't agree with those changes... (first flash AK and then CF.Lumen)

12. pure.by
    Gingerbread Oct 31, 2015

pure.by , Oct 31, 2015 :
    I get your point now. Well, a custom kernel is not really something I was looking into. I might try that in case nothing else works, though. Thanks for the tip.

Tokolozi likes this.
  13. Tokolozi

All I can say AK is a really great kernel and I've been using it for a while.

14. BOSSPDA
    Jelly Bean Nov 1, 2015

BOSSPDA , Nov 1, 2015 :
    I use AK kernel and cf lumen with Kcal driver (comes with AK kernel) and everything works perfectly.

pure.by and Tokolozi like this.
  15. ButterFlYnez
    Jelly Bean Nov 1, 2015

ButterFlYnez , Nov 1, 2015 :
    I just tried cf lumen with boefla kernel and I couldn't get passed a major bootloop, AK kernel does work with cf lumen however so I'd advice that. It's a lot easier than performing a clean install!

mwayner, pure.by and Tokolozi like this.
  16. GhostSamuraiX
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 2, 2015

GhostSamuraiX , Nov 2, 2015 :
    Lumen is something I use a lot so I am disappointed to hear this. I just downloaded it and everything was working fine and I usually manually set my location but I went and turned on my location and let the app pin point my location and as soon as I hit save my OPT rebooted by itself :( I was going to flash Lord Boeffla kernel but from what I read here it doesn't work either with that kernel. Did you try again after a complete clean install?

Update:
    Got Lumen to work with stock kernel only rooted @pure.by . The problem is v3.15 and the newest 3.16 has a new root driver that does not work on all devices which OPT is one of. You need to install v3.00 and you will no longer have issues or bootloops. I'm using it right now and everything is working great!! Ver 3.00 is available from the XDA thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=51779367#post51779367 or direct download link is http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3521558&d=1446028470

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

pure.by and ButterFlYnez like this.
  17. pure.by
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2015

pure.by , Nov 2, 2015 :
    +

Thanks for the info, @BOSSPDA and @ButterFlYnez! This is very good to know. Do you know whether CF.Lumen original driver works too on AK kernel? KCAL driver is acceptable but it's the CF.Lumen original driver I am really after because of it's superior image quality in single-color channel mode.

This is exactly what happened to me! App works, but as soon as I hit the "Save location" button the app throws my device into a bootloop. I didn't think it was a driver issue because I never even made it to the driver selection screen.
    Big thanks for the info and the links, I'm going to try v3.00 out and then I'll report back.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

ButterFlYnez likes this.
  18. ButterFlYnez
    Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2015

ButterFlYnez , Nov 2, 2015 :
    I didn't use any driver AFAIK, just installed cf lumen and tried to launch it.
    However yesterday I tried the location settings and it crashed my phone. No bootloop though, but it does crash as soon as I try that. Sorry. I have no ideas anymore :(

pure.by likes this.
  19. pure.by
    Gingerbread Nov 2, 2015

pure.by , Nov 2, 2015 :
    You've been of great help, thanks. At least now I know that everyone is experiencing the same location-related issue (even on different kernels), so it's not a problem with my ROM installation or anything like that. I think this is a good moment to report this issue to ChainFire.

I'm still going to try out CF.Lumen version 3.00, hope that will work.

Edit: did you only launch the application, or have you actually used it (without location)? I mean, did you see the colors of your screen change when running CF.Lumen?

20. ButterFlYnez
    Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2015

ButterFlYnez , Nov 2, 2015 :
    I only launched it with boefla (it crashed my phone immediately and then booted into a bootloop), with AK I launched it and when that worked I was already content. I haven't used it (with or without location). Tried to use it with location and it crashed...

pure.by likes this.