Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

#HYPEorGTFO and eirigance like this.
  3. superking
    Donut Aug 26, 2015

eirigance likes this.
  4. MDMonden
    Honeycomb Aug 26, 2015

MDMonden , Aug 26, 2015 :
    No you need a PC for that. At least for now, maybe in the future it'll be possible

5. kkdn03
    Cupcake Dec 25, 2015

kkdn03 , Dec 25, 2015 :
    If i have unlocked the bootloader ....can i root it and the twrp was flashed temporarily by me .....so wat can i do

6. Abdur Desai
    Honeycomb Dec 25, 2015

Abdur Desai , Dec 25, 2015 :
    You can root without a PC (Flash super SU through TWRP), but to do that you need an unlocked bootloader, and this requires a PC. So essentially, you can't.

7. aakashjhaveri
    Lollipop Dec 25, 2015

gopinathr and davidmata like this.
  8. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Dec 25, 2015

anupritaisno1 , Dec 25, 2015 :
    what next ? take the phone and plant it in the garden so that it starts germinating and roots and shoots come out ?

post reported to a moderator

gopinathr, davidmata, Mistic and 2 others like this.
  9. nigelhealy
    KitKat Dec 25, 2015

nigelhealy , Dec 25, 2015 :
    Whilst it is true you must run fastboot command initially, the PC can be very basic. A raspberry pi, Chromebook, etc.

These other devices are useful in their own right and be very low cost.

#HYPEorGTFO likes this.
  10. olly1999
    Cupcake Apr 4, 2016

olly1999 , Apr 4, 2016 :
    I'm no expert in flashing, custom roms or getting root access, so this is more of a question to more experienced people. Would it not be possible to flash SuperSU through the inbuilt OnePlus recovery software (I don't know if it's called "Recovery Software" but you get to it by holding the power and volume down while booting up the phone). I only say this because I was able to flash the new version of OxygenOS through it, and if it's only a matter of flashing the SuperSU file, then could it not work?

Again, this is a question, and I don't know if it will work. I'm more seeking advice from somebody more experienced than myself.

11. matt_simpson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 4, 2016

matt_simpson , Apr 4, 2016 :
    Erm, why?

#HYPEorGTFO and sfomin like this.
  12. lukie257
    Honeycomb Apr 4, 2016

lukie257 , Apr 4, 2016 :
    Probably not. OnePlus has most likely only allowed the recovery to flash zips with their signature.

13. locxFIN
    KitKat Apr 4, 2016

locxFIN , Apr 4, 2016 :
    Yeah it will not work. You need a custom recovery, TWRP is the best option. Stock recoveries almost never allow flashes that modify the system files beyond stock.

14. guitarboy0211
    Honeycomb Apr 4, 2016

guitarboy0211 , Apr 4, 2016 :
    The stock recovery allows you to update manually but that's about it. With Twrp, there's a whole bunch of things you can do, essentially, the stock recovery is meant to flash ota zips in case the in-built installer doesn't work.

15. stephenboyo
    KitKat Apr 4, 2016

stephenboyo , Apr 4, 2016 :
    I rooted my OPX with Kingroot from XDA and without a PC.

16. Saeed Ashif Ahmed
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 4, 2016

Saeed Ashif Ahmed , Apr 4, 2016 :
    Without Unlocking Bootloader ?
    You are then Genius !

17. stephenboyo
    KitKat Apr 5, 2016

stephenboyo , Apr 5, 2016 :
    Yes. I have posted details below. That's how I rooted my OPX witjout pc but proceed at your own risk. Works brilliantly for me.

Rooting your OnePlus X:

1. Download KingRoot and install it from here.

2. Once KingRoot is installed, open it and root OnePlus X with just one click. Process of rooting will take 2 - 5 mins. One done, Download Root Checker from Terminal Emulator for Android from play store.
    2. Download and unzipReplace_Kingroot_With_SuperSU.zip which contains SuperSU installation stuff.

Steps to install SuperSu.

1. Copy the downloaded Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU-v2.0 to your phone and extract it, extracted folder will contain "mrw" folder. Send the extracted folder "mrw" to the internal storage of your device and make sure that this folder contains 4 files. This should be the path for your mrw folder. "/sdcard/mrw"

2. Open Terminal emulator and type

Code:
    su
    this will ask for super user permissions for terminal app, allow it.

3. Type :

Code:
    sh /sdcard/mrw/root.sh
    It might display some error, at the end it will launch supersu or open supersu manually.

Update su binary normal, then reboot.

Voila, your OnePlus X is fully rooted without needing the TWRP or even a cable or PC.[​IMG]
    You can now uninstall KingRoot and Purify apps.
    Cheers [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

Saeed Ashif Ahmed likes this.
  18. Saeed Ashif Ahmed
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 5, 2016

Saeed Ashif Ahmed , Apr 5, 2016 :
    Thanks man, I will make a blog post on it :)

stephenboyo likes this.
  19. rjsidz
    Gingerbread Apr 5, 2016

rjsidz , Apr 5, 2016 :
    if any one tested that king root with op2 , do share your experience , would be great and easier :)

20. #HYPEorGTFO
    KitKat Apr 5, 2016

matt_simpson and rphlfjrd like this.