Root?

1. zerverus
    Gingerbread Oct 9, 2014

zerverus , Oct 9, 2014 :
    i've been looking at post talking about rooted phones... and i couldn't find a thread to really talk about what it means... someone can explain??

2. mkmach
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 9, 2014

dustbunnyck likes this.
  3. Hanson Lee
    Marshmallow Oct 9, 2014

Hanson Lee , Oct 9, 2014 :
    Just... search please... I've had enough writing essays every minute to help one by one.

Tobikage likes this.
  4. BerkAscipinar
    Gingerbread Oct 9, 2014

5. sharkbitten741

6. KausXP
    Gingerbread Oct 9, 2014

7. nanaba4r
    Jelly Bean Oct 9, 2014

nanaba4r , Oct 9, 2014 :
    here you go mate

Information
    Rooting this device is actually quite a simple and easy process. Before you begin, it is recommended that you at least try to understand what each part of the process will do. Although this guide will elongate each step in order to show all of the details, the method used can be broken up into 3 main steps: Unlocking the Bootloader, Installing a Custom Recovery and finally Rooting. Each new step relies on the previous step to have been completed, and a basic summary of each part is:

1. Unlocking Bootloader: Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the phone.
    2. Installing a Custom Recovery: A custom recovery is flashed onto the recovery partition of the device and overwrites the stock recovery that exists by default. Custom recoveries bring lots of functionality and give you the ability to perform wipes, install flashable zips, create full backups of your NAND (Nandroid backup), and various other features. An unlocked bootloader is needed to install a custom recovery.
    3. Rooting: You can gain root by either flashing via recovery a pre-rooted custom rom, or flashing a zip containing the SuperSU binaries. A custom recovery is necessary to do this.

After completing these steps your phone will be rooted, the phone will have a custom recovery installed, and the phones bootloader will be unlocked. This, in my opinion, is the most practical and beneficial method for rooting your phone. It gives you some basic adb/fastboot knowledge, and should hopefully help you have a decent understanding of what is going on. Also this method will work regardless of what android version your phone has.

If you are confused by anything in this guide, I would highly suggest getting it clarified being before moving on. Ask your question in this thread and I or someone else will likely answer. Also I'd suggest that you read over the whole thread a few times before actually doing anything to the phone.

Understand? Good...lets begin (continues on second post):

Deactivated User likes this.
  8. KausXP
    Gingerbread Oct 9, 2014

KausXP , Oct 9, 2014 :
    Copy and paste is your friend. Much faster than typing all that don't you think?

9. zerverus
    Gingerbread Oct 9, 2014

10. Hanson Lee
    Marshmallow Oct 9, 2014

Hanson Lee , Oct 9, 2014 :
    I can't be ******* bothered to go all the way back to my previous posts look at my post count!

11. KausXP
    Gingerbread Oct 9, 2014

KausXP , Oct 9, 2014 :
    You're bothered enough to lectured the guy tho, obviously. Oh wait is that how you rack up your post count?

Mushi -Shi, tavietarra and fayd like this.
  12. arvinmradze

13. hudsonkw7
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2015

hudsonkw7 , Apr 28, 2015 :
    I'm very interested in rooting my OnePlus, however I'm a complete noob at this sort of thing and I do not wanna screw up my phone and/or void any warranty. With that being said, what do you guys think is the best thing for me to do with my phone in terms of rooting it? Also, if I do decide to root it, is it possible to make it near stock or completely stock....similar to a Nexus? Thanks!

14. jkb114
    Lollipop Apr 28, 2015

jkb114 , Apr 28, 2015 :
    Do not even try to root or anything like that unless you know exactly what you are doing. There are plenty of guides that explain things.

Tobikage likes this.
  15. bakerbarber
    Jelly Bean Apr 28, 2015

bakerbarber , Apr 28, 2015 :
    61504025.jpg

Root your phone noob.

I'm a noob and I figured it out.

No explosions or loss of blood.

I lost all my data. That happens the first time you unlock your boot loader.

So do it sooner than later and it will be less painful.

Tobikage and WakaWakaWaka like this.
  16. WakaWakaWaka
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 28, 2015

17. WakaWakaWaka

18. CM12BACON

CM12BACON , Apr 28, 2015 :
    If you dont know what it means you shouldnt root your phone. Sure it has some advantages, but for some it also has disadvantages.

Tobikage likes this.
  19. Deactivated User
    Apr 28, 2015

20. zerverus
    Gingerbread Apr 28, 2015

zerverus , Apr 28, 2015 :
    Rooting basically is like giving you administrator access to your phone, it is just as the same as a computer, you can do limited stuff something like a normal user would do (i think it is the best option for you), if you want full access or administrator access to your phone then root is the option for you. if you want to go back to a default setting you can simply hard reset your phone. i recommend you stay as you are.