Rooted OPO wont automatically update

1. BrianPoon
    Donut Sep 18, 2014

BrianPoon , Sep 18, 2014 :
    So i recently rooted my phone and when i tried to update cm, the phone would restart into TWRP and nothing would happen. Does anyone know why? im still new to this so pls bare with me

faridul islam likes this.
  2. smrtphn
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 18, 2014

3. BrianPoon
    Donut Sep 18, 2014

4. Tee00max
    Gingerbread Sep 18, 2014

yclo likes this.
  5. BrianPoon
    Donut Sep 18, 2014

6. BrianPoon
    Donut Sep 18, 2014

I tried it and the same thing happened. The phone rebooted into recovery, butbdidnt instll the update

7. agntlgn
    Eclair Sep 18, 2014

8. oneeyedhobbit
    Gingerbread Sep 18, 2014

oneeyedhobbit , Sep 18, 2014 :
    I've only had my OPO for about a week, but my experience has been that if you have a custom recovery (TWRP, CWM) installed you can't (at least at present) use OTA updates. You can manually download the ROM and install it, which reverts your recovery whether you have "Update recovery" checked or not, but you can always just reflash TWRP after.

If someone knows how to update OTA with a non-stock recovery please enlighten us!

9. Raddin
    Gingerbread Sep 18, 2014

Raddin , Sep 18, 2014 :
    I recently went to normal CyanogenMod on my rooted OnePlus One and I am so much happier because of it.

Seriously, if you own a OPO, the best thing you can do to it is get rid of the garbage that is CM11s and go to a nightly or stable build of CM11. I update my OPO every few days and have never ran into a single problem with updating since I went to CM11.

10. chrism1548
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 18, 2014

chrism1548 , Sep 18, 2014 :
    I'm don't think once your rooted with custom rom you can get ota automatically, im using twrp and I can't get the ota automatically So I just dl the update zip file and sideload it. Also I and supersu zip in the queue to install when installing the update so I don't lose root.

NexusFive likes this.
  11. BrianPoon
    Donut Sep 18, 2014

Yeah I figured id just manually install the update. Do I need to do a wipe before installing tho?

12. BrianPoon
    Donut Sep 18, 2014

rizalrazali likes this.
  13. amorosa
    Honeycomb Sep 18, 2014

amorosa , Sep 18, 2014 :
    Yes ! Its a good choice. Update to 25R and stay there. And when the new update comes out, just wait a few days and read what people write over the new update. I do the same

14. nem3sis
    Jelly Bean Sep 18, 2014

nem3sis , Sep 18, 2014 :
    Yeah agreed. 25r is top. Gives me near 5 days battery with moderate use.

15. amorosa
    Honeycomb Sep 18, 2014

amorosa , Sep 18, 2014 :
    Yes. I nearly get 8 Hours Screen ON time. Or even 10 Hours if i stay in wifi. But 7 Hours is more realistic.

16. timekills
    Froyo Sep 18, 2014

timekills , Sep 18, 2014 :
    You absolutely can get the updates while rooted and with TWRP. I downgraded (wiped/reset) my OPO to 25R and put TWRP back on and rooted. It gave me the 30R upgrade and then the 33R incremental. It boots into TWRP and automatically installs each update.

The only reason it won't work is if you have changed a file, such as the boot graphic, or some people made a mod to the microphone setting file back when 25R had microphone issues. If the installer finds a file that has been changed from stock (this does not include root, xposed framework, apps, or the recovery, just system and/or boot (ROM) files) it will stop and fail. This is true even if you kept the default recovery.

Bottom line, neither the recovery files not rooting prevent OTA updates.

NexusFive likes this.
  17. oneeyedhobbit
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2014

oneeyedhobbit , Sep 19, 2014 :
    I don't know what you did differently, but that was not my experience at all, and I didn't change anything on the phone. Immediately after powering it on I unlocked the bootloader (since it wipes everything anyway), flashed TWRP, and rooted my OPO. My device successfully detected and downloaded the update, but after it restarted in TWRP it failed and gave me an error message. I don't have it anymore to try to dive in and figure out what it was complaining about; since I hadn't set anything up on the phone yet it seemed easiest just to download 33r from cyanogenmod and flash it directly. To reiterate, I didn't modify any of the system files, change the boot image, or anything like that.

Wizel10 likes this.
  18. Wizel10
    Froyo Sep 19, 2014

Wizel10 , Sep 19, 2014 :
    On 11S, which garbage you mean?

19. Raddin
    Gingerbread Sep 20, 2014

Raddin , Sep 20, 2014 :
    CM11s has a lot of bugs that have been fixed in the nightly builds of CM11. CM11 also has new features, such as a version of trebuchet that allows for more customization like allowing you to set the rows and colums of icons and it even has cursor control in the keyboard.

The only thing CM11s has going for it is a few extra features, like the custom lock screen and camera app, but all of those extra features can easily be added to CM11. So there really is no reason to use CM11s, except for if you just want outdated firmware on your phone.

I made the move to CM11 and am very happy with my decision.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

Bajo76 and Wizel10 like this.
  20. s2514
    Eclair Sep 20, 2014

s2514 , Sep 20, 2014 :
    If you wipe the cache and dalvik cache you should be good. This won't wipe any data but it will cause your phone to go through an app optimization process at boot which can take a while depending on how many apps you have.

Do a full wipe if you plan to install a totally different ROM though and don't forget to flash gaaps (if using normal cm) if you plan to use google play.