Rooting and unblocking is overrated

1. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 4, 2015

PagalMunda , May 4, 2015 :
    I appreciate that but my main concern is we are going through a process where we can brick our phone and the things that we get in return does not measure up to the risk. OK the process might be very safe and stuff. However, there is always a minute chance of things going in the wrong direction. Anyways guys this was not meant to be a bashing thread. The OP may be misguided. I just wanted to know that are there really any huge perks by going through the process and the answer seems to be dependent on person to person. So my bad. I apologize.

2. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 4, 2015

I don't think that perspective applies to this forum. More like for cynogen forum.

3. brian2012
    Froyo May 4, 2015

brian2012 , May 4, 2015 :
    I'd like to root my phone, but can't find any good instructions.

Ceasedd likes this.
  4. WakaWakaWaka
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 4, 2015

5. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean May 4, 2015

return.of.octobot , May 4, 2015 :
    You do realize that you're OnePlus is a Cyanogen based device right?

6. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow May 4, 2015

DaxNagtegaal , May 4, 2015 :
    Check the guide in my signature.

7. erzengelsachiel
    KitKat May 4, 2015

erzengelsachiel , May 4, 2015 :
    This is exactly what I've been saying for a while now. Main reason (pre OnePlus) to root in the past was so that one could install Cyanogen or Clockwork but the OPO comes with (back then anyway) CM from the get go, so rooting is just for the needed permissions to use Titanium, Greenify, etc. If you don't need any of those apps, you shouldn't need to root. I'm glad you get it bud!

MrFingerIII, Ceasedd and PagalMunda like this.
  8. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 4, 2015

It was.

Ceasedd likes this.
  9. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow May 4, 2015

DaxNagtegaal , May 4, 2015 :
    And how about the people who's phones got semi-bricked by the OTA and lost all their files? They could've saved those files with an unlocked bootloader.

Skf123, WakaWakaWaka and Ceasedd like this.
  10. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 4, 2015

The files. Are u serious? Almost all of my files are on cloud now or on my laptop. Really u don't have to even try for that to happen.

Ceasedd likes this.
  11. erzengelsachiel
    KitKat May 5, 2015

erzengelsachiel , May 5, 2015 :
    True, good point but nobody expects an OTA to brick their device. That's kind of unforseeable. But valid point sir! I agree.

DaxNagtegaal likes this.
  12. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean May 5, 2015

return.of.octobot , May 5, 2015 :
    Until the OPO stops shipping with a stock Cyanogen OS and starts shipping with Oxygen, it still is. Right now, the OnePlus is one of a limited number of devices officially supported by Cyanogen. Yes, it's true that their partnership will not continue for the OnePlusTwo, but as far as the OPO goes, it has been and will continue to be a Cyanogen supported device, with Oxygen as a secondary option.

WakaWakaWaka likes this.
  13. ozone89
    Honeycomb May 5, 2015

14. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 5, 2015

PagalMunda , May 5, 2015 :
    Still your 'broader perspective' was supposed to be for devices which are not cynogen based.

15. brian2012
    Froyo May 5, 2015

brian2012 , May 5, 2015 :
    The issue I am running into is that I only use Linux Ubuntu. I don't have Windows.

WakaWakaWaka likes this.
  16. WakaWakaWaka
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2015

WakaWakaWaka , May 5, 2015 :
    I applaud your patience even though I think you are wasting it on this guy. Honestly wonder what type of reply he was looking for.

17. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean May 5, 2015

return.of.octobot , May 5, 2015 :
    You're absolutely right, how could I be so ignorant, I'll be unrooting my phone immediately.

18. WakaWakaWaka
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2015

WakaWakaWaka , May 5, 2015 :
    I rooted mine on Linux I will try to find the guide I used and send you a link

19. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 5, 2015

PagalMunda , May 5, 2015 :
    Your phone your choice!!!

20. manjake
    Gingerbread May 5, 2015

manjake , May 5, 2015 :
    You rooted your phone and just because no changes were immediately obvious you came on here to tell everyone it's overrated? It gives you complete access to your phone to truly change it however you want. Just because you are a noob and dont understand it doesn't mean it's overrated.

ozone89 and WakaWakaWaka like this.