Rooting and unblocking is overrated

1. astralbee
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2015

astralbee , May 5, 2015 :
    Risk of bricking is dependent on your ability to read and follow instructions.

Oneplus do not invalidate your warranty for unlocking the bootloader and rooting so the only thing you are risking it a bit of wasted time. You are not going to lose your phone or your money. Oneplus even provide all the tools and software for you to restore a phone fully to factory settings over the usb cable should anything go wrong.

And again, the return isn't from rooting itself - it is from the apps and features you choose to utilise afterwards. A bit like buying a car doesn't give you anything in itself if you stick it in the garage and do nothing with it - but it does enable you to go places if you can be bothered to use it.

Deactivated User and ozone89 like this.
  2. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean May 5, 2015

return.of.octobot , May 5, 2015 :
    Yeah, it just hit me that I was trying to explain the benefits of root to a brick wall.

3. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean May 5, 2015

This is exactly what I've been trying to get at. Ignorance of root capabilities does not equal overrated

Deactivated User and manjake like this.
  4. WakaWakaWaka

brian2012 likes this.
  5. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 5, 2015

PagalMunda , May 5, 2015 :
    Your assumption is completely wrong. Neither i am a noob nor i don't understand it. I just don't prefer to boast about my understandings. If u read the my posts i always said for the general public.

6. KforHorizon
    KitKat May 5, 2015

KforHorizon , May 5, 2015 :
    It is not for the general public!!! You have no idea what to do with root access..Soo go back to stock and live happily!

7. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 5, 2015

So you assumed that i have no understanding from my post. Ignorance is bliss and u can continue in that state mind.

8. KforHorizon
    KitKat May 5, 2015

If you did..you wouldn't have created this thread anyways!:rolleyes:

Deactivated User likes this.
  9. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 5, 2015

So now u mean my creation of this thread led u to the conclusion that i have no understanding what so ever.
    You are a true genius. May the force be with u forever. :)
    I apologize for raising this.

10. solleks
    Honeycomb May 5, 2015

solleks , May 5, 2015 :
    you do know other OPO phones such as the Chinese version dont have cm so they would need to unlock bootloader and the same goes for cm OPO users who want to try Color Os. not to mention if other people want to try oxygen os "OTHER PEOPLE"

Deactivated User likes this.
  11. Skf123
    Marshmallow May 5, 2015

Skf123 , May 5, 2015 :
    It might be overrated for you but not for others, i personally can't be bothered with it anymore as long as the phone I'm using has what i want.

PagalMunda likes this.
  12. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 5, 2015

Just now a guy was telling me how OPO is cynogen based and stuff. Maybe u should talk to him. I already apologized for raising this. ;)

13. PagalMunda
    Froyo May 5, 2015

Well said.

Skf123 likes this.
  14. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow May 5, 2015

DaxNagtegaal , May 5, 2015 :
    The amount of people that rely on their phone to keep their files safe is shockingly high... Wait a second no it isn't, it's a perfectly reasonable expectation which this phone tends to fail.

Skf123 and PagalMunda like this.
  15. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean May 5, 2015

Sorry, I forgot my disclaimer, ***********OPOs outside of China are CM based. So, you and I, as well as a large portion of the world have CM based OPOs. We done splitting hairs?

16. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow May 5, 2015

In your case it's even easier just get the adb and fastboot files from your terminal with some fancy command (easy to find) and then proceed like normal, all commands are the same except you put a . In front of them, or a / or ./ I don't remember

brian2012 likes this.
  17. Skf123
    Marshmallow May 5, 2015

Skf123 , May 5, 2015 :
    That's what happened with my OPO, updating via official OTA soft bricked my phone and the only way to get it back up was factory resetting it, fortunately i had only had it for a day or 2 so nothing important on it.

I guess if unlocking the bootloader can prevent file loss then it's definitely worth it.

DaxNagtegaal likes this.
  18. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow May 5, 2015

If your bootloader is unlocked you can just flash TWRP and adb pull your files off.. Or use MTP... Or fastboot flash (skip userdata) you have so many options :p

Skf123 likes this.
  19. SolarTrans

SolarTrans , May 5, 2015 :
    My favorite usages of root are system-wide ad blocking, ability to completely remove carrier+manufacturer bloat, and ability to adjust display density.
    I simply won't buy a phone if I can't root it for these reasons.

Furthermore, it takes like 20min max to go through the rooting process and get everything if you know what you're doing :p

Also, on many devices, all it takes to accept an OTA is a re flash of the stock recovery. Then you can just change back to TWRP and you're good to go :D

20. KforHorizon
    KitKat May 5, 2015

Haha okay then whats this? You are talking about you 'rooting' your device and unblocking it (whatever that means) and you not getting anything exciting in return! And also the part where you say that only if you are a technical guy would you enjoy its benefits! Man..you do seem like the new mkbhd after this thread!:D