Ryzen 5000 Series: Discussion Thread

?

Will you be buying the Ryzen 5000 Series?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. razzor228
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Oct 8, 2020

razzor228 , Oct 8, 2020 :
    Ryzen-5000-Series-Discussion.jpg

The AMD Zen 3 launch is just around the corner! With just a few hours to go before AMD announces it new lineup of Ryzen 4000 5000 Series desktop processors based on the latest Zen 3 architecture, I can’t seem to contain my excitement. The Zen 3 is the successor to the Zen 2 (3rd Gen Ryzen Processors), the first consumer-ready processors based on the 7nm Zen 2 Architecture. When the Zen 2 based processors launched, it took the market by storm with their affordability and performance.

Before reaching this stage, where AMD is the preferred choice for most new PC builders, they had a very rough and interesting past. Somewhere down the line, they owe a part of their success to Intel. Without the developments that Intel was making, it wouldn’t have motivated the people at AMD to bring a revolutionary product in the form of the Ryzen platform.

AMD and Intel have been fierce competitors for as long as I can recall. With their rivalry going back more than 50 years, Intel has dominated most parts of it. AMD was always the underdog and had a reputation of being a lower-cost, budget-friendly middle- and low- range choice for most users.

AMD had always lacked behind in terms of performance when compared to Intel. AMD chips provided decent performance at a reasonable price, but it came with its own set of drawbacks.

With only two major competitors in the microprocessor space, AMD was the least preferred because of its widespread heating issues, causing thermal throttling. This made Intel the most obvious choice for most PC users. Enthusiasts who seek high-end performance from their CPU’s always chose Intel because it offered stable performance. Although Intel CPU’s had exorbitant pricing, for the most part, there wasn’t really an advantage for most users to opt for AMD just because they’re affordable.

But this all changed with the launch of the new Ryzen platform in 2017. Back then, with the Zen 1 architecture, AMD basically blew Intel both in terms of pricing and performance. In the 50+ years that they are competing with Intel, there have been instances where AMD did have the edge over Intel. But this time, they just do not have an edge. They seem like a clear cut winner, which is what Intel seemed like all these years.

At a time when Intel was launching $1000 CPUs (Core i7-6900K) with 8 Cores and 16 Threads, AMD riled up a storm with their Ryzen processors, which offered CPUs (Ryzen 7 1700) with 8 Cores and 16 Threads for a much much more affordable $300. And this time, their offerings weren’t just cheap or affordable; they offered far superior performance. The $300 CPU managed to beat the $1000 CPU in almost every benchmark possible except for single-core performance benchmarks. While Benchmarks do not always indicate real-life performance accurately, they proved that AMD had succeeded in bringing a revolutionary product in the budget segment that even destroyed Intel’s flagship offerings.

While the first-gen Ryzen was enough to convince enthusiasts to hop onto the AMD hype-train, what solidified it among other PC users was the 3rd Gen Ryzen processors with Zen 2 and the latest 7nm manufacturer process. The latest 7nm brought significant improvements to performance and efficiency. This allowed the 3000 Series CPUs to offer much better performance with a sizeable overclocking headroom and reduced power consumption. The Zen 2 launch highlight was the Ryzen 9 3900X, which brought an insane core count of 12-cores and 24-threads in a consumer-grade processor. To compete with the 3900X, Intel only had the disappointing Core i9-9900K, which had a scanty 8-cores and 16-threads.

Now that we are in 2020, Intel is still on an upgraded version of the 14nm process, which is almost six years old. At the same time, AMD has leaped forward with a second-generation 7nm process. In comparison, Intel might take almost two years to adopt the 7nm process. This makes it clear how the tables have turned for AMD, which was once the underdog is now the favorite.

Let’s talk about the future, shall we?

Although not much is known about the upcoming Ryzen 5000 Series processors, I did a bit of research to get most of the facts before the launch. Let’s start with what we know so far-

The Ryzen 5000 Series desktop processors are based on the latest Zen 3 architecture featuring an updated version of the 7nm manufacturing process. They were earlier referred to as the 4000 Series processors, but since AMD already launched Ryzen 4000 Series CPUs for laptops based on the older Zen 2 architecture, they decided to forego the 4000 Series and skip it for their Desktop CPUs.

While we are on the Ryzen 4000 Series CPUs topic, they deserve mention because they’re currently the best CPUs that you can get for your laptops today. With the Ryzen 4000 Series Mobile CPUs, AMD will be dominating Intel in the Mobile CPU segment too quite soon.

This time around, AMD said it has planned to focus more on the gamers and creators community, which means we might also get to see a much better single-core performance. While the Zen 2 did offer quite good single-core performance, Intel was able to eek a bit ahead with their single-core performance with the 9th Generation Desktop processors.

Summary of what we know so far about the new Ryzen 5000 Series processors
    • Based on Zen 3 architecture featuring enhanced 7nm process
    • Retains support for AM4 Socket
    • Only supported by 400 & 500-series chipset and dropped support for 300-series chipsets.
    • Most likely the last series before we move to DDR5 in 2021
    • Similar lineup to the 3000 Series Processors
    So, what are your thoughts on the Ryzen 4000 5000 Series? What are you most excited to see in the new AMD Desktop CPUs? Also, I would be doing a Post-launch coverage, so stay tuned for it.

The Zen 3 launch will take place at 17:00 UK / 18:00 CET / 10:00 PT / 21.30 IST on their YouTube Channel. You can also watch the live stream on their website.

---
    This is a Writers' Club thread. OnePlus is always looking forward to highlighting great content from its community. If you have an amazing idea for a new thread you'd like to share or have already written an engaging thread you feel like everyone would like to read, please use this form to let us know.

2. razzor228
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Oct 9, 2020

Stickied Post
    razzor228 , Oct 9, 2020 :
    Now that AMD has officially launched its new Ryzen 5000 series desktop processors, we have a much better understanding of how it compares with the Ryzen 3000 series desktop processors and, most importantly, the current 10th generation Desktop Processors by Intel.

With each passing launch, AMD seems to have gained a lot of confidence in their product. Their confidence is rightly placed because they have been consistently bringing significant upgrades to the Zen platform ever since its inception.

AMD is finally bold enough to proclaim the title of ‘Fastest Gaming CPUs in the World”. The 5900X offers up to a 26% increase in gaming performance and a 19% increase in IPC than the 3900XT.

AMD ultimately seems to have managed to own the trifecta crown of class-leading single-core performance, multi-core performance, and power efficiency while maintaining affordability. As mentioned in pre-launch coverage, AMD’s focus was more towards the gaming and creator community indeed.

During the whole launch event, AMD compared the latest 5000 Series Processors with the 3000 Series Processors and the Intel i9-10900k. The i9-10900k offers 10-cores and 20-threads with a base clock of 3.70 GHz and a boost clock of 5.30 GHz. Whereas its competitor, the 5900X, offers 12-cores and 24-threads with a base clock of 3.70 GHz and a boost clock of 4.80 GHz.

Since Intel has a low core count here, they opted for a much higher boost clock of 5.30 GHz to make up for the loss of 2-physical core and 4-threads while compromising on power efficiency. The i9-10900k has a TDP of 125W, which means it is not as power-efficient as the 5900X with a TDP of 105W. A higher TDP usually means the CPU draws more power and, in turn, outputs more heat. To overcome such a situation, AMD preferred not to break the 5 GHz barrier with the latest Zen 3 CPUs. If the 3900X is anything to go by, a 4.4-4.6 GHz on all cores is quite achievable, but at the cost of a higher voltage. We should expect the 5900X to offer a significant bump in single-core and multi-core performance while maintaining a higher all-core overclock.

While we do not have benchmarks from third-party websites, it’s better to take all these numbers with a grain of salt.

10788-ryzen9-5900x-gaming-chart-1920x986_2.jpg

One more thing to note is that only the 5600X CPU will come bundled with a CPU Fan (Wraith Stealth).

Now the thing that most of us were eagerly waiting for- “The Pricing.”

upload_2020-10-9_16-4-37.png

Although AMD has said it won’t be adding more CPUs to the 5000 Series Lineup, there has been speculation that the CPUs from the 3000 Series would receive a refresh.

Lastly, all four of the announced Ryzen 5000 Series CPUs should be available to purchase from November 5.

For more detailed information, you can check out the AMD Website.

3. BeingIncog
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

xnutzii, DuffyUSA, Xtermy and 9 others like this.
  4. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 8, 2020 :
    OG Ryzen 1000 series here ;)

5. BeingIncog
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

Xtermy, MosheG1, Tobikage and 2 others like this.
  6. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Oct 8, 2020

dsmonteiro , Oct 8, 2020 :
    I have to say I'm quite excited about this launch. While I'm still not on the market for a new CPU (my 6700k should last me until DDR5 goes mainstream), it's definitely good to see the CPU market so alive, with AMD pushing Intel to improve their own designs. In the end, the consumer gets better and cheaper products. I also hope we'll see a similar trend (and thread if it's not too much to ask :D) later this month, when AMD releases its new GPUs as well.

I was too late to tag you here. :(

7. Oreo2201

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020

Xtermy, MosheG1, dsmonteiro and 3 others like this.
  8. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 8, 2020 :
    Probably because you're using intel ;)

As for @razzor228 I won't be buying a 5000-series. I will however be buying a previous gen which will flood the second hand market now. Don't feel like updating my motherboard just yet.

9. BeingIncog
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

10. dsmonteiro

dsmonteiro , Oct 8, 2020 :
    Are you planning on upgrading? My 6700k still feels relevant, at least at 1080p.

MosheG1 and Tokolozi like this.
  11. BeingIncog
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

BeingIncog , Oct 8, 2020 :
    i don't play games, sadly. nope not anytime soon, but GTX 750 Ti needs to be upgraded for no reason!

12. BeingIncog
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

MosheG1 and Tokolozi like this.
  13. MakB
    Honeycomb Oct 8, 2020

razzor228 likes this.
  14. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 8, 2020 :
    My 3770k is now a NAS server. can handle multiple 1080p videostreams perfectly. Just struggles with 4K

MosheG1 and dsmonteiro like this.
  15. Liehjan
    Lollipop Oct 8, 2020

Liehjan , Oct 8, 2020 :
    I'm still waiting for Dell to launch a XPS 13" running Ryzen... If they launch a 5000-series powered laptop I will be first in line!

MosheG1, Tokolozi and razzor228 like this.
  16. amar2724
    Donut Oct 8, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  17. dsmonteiro

18. Tobikage
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

Tobikage , Oct 8, 2020 :
    Always ? Go back and learn your history.

G_plusone, fragargon and Tokolozi like this.
  19. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 8, 2020 :
    HP is doing wonders with ryzen laptops... it's a start.

MosheG1, Liehjan and Tobikage like this.
  20. razzor228

razzor228 , Oct 8, 2020 :

21. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 8, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 8, 2020 :
    People seem to forget the early 2000's

Tobikage likes this.