Sadly. A Decline in OnePlus Service. Change in US Service Centers.

1. lpadvisor
    Froyo Nov 19, 2019

lpadvisor , Nov 19, 2019 :
    I had my OnePlus 6T repaired recently at the OnePlus service center in Austin, TX (actually an Asus repair center contracted by OnePlus). It was a cracked screen so cost on me. I had a very good experience.

Chronology of previous repair:
    Monday early eve - dropped off at Fed Ex pickup spot.
    Tuesday 10AM - delivered to OnePlus Repair (Asus near Austin, TX).
    Wed AM - Was called by service center to OK the charges for screen.
    Wed PM - Shipped back by service center via Fed Ex.
    Thursday 10 AM - received repaired phone.

So, really I was only without phone for a little over 2 days. Good Service! This is the way it should be especially since OnePlus doesn't have local service like Apple.

Now I am having a warranty problem with USB-C plug on my 6T. Wired headphones like USB-C Bullets and other headphones with USB-C to 3.5 mm dongle no longer work, and I can't connect my computer via USB to move files or debug (I'm a developer).

Contacted OnePlus last week and wanted to return on Monday Nov 18th with likely return to me Thurs (like before) or Friday before I left for Thanksgiving on following Monday.

My concern started when I got the FedEx shipping label and it said 2 day shipping instead of overnight. I called OnePlus and they said they changed repair centers to a new place in Ft Worth, TX. AND,, IT IS NOW 7 TO 10 WORKING DAYS FOR REPAIR!!!

WTF!! OnePlus has no local service and the expect people to be without their phones for 7-10 business days -> 2 WEEKS WITH WEEKENDS???

This is a BIG reduction in service. I like OnePlus a lot but this reduction in customer service has really given me something to think about in the future.

My outcome? I am waiting till I get back from Thanksgiving so I am not with my crappy backup phone while on an extended trip.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019

2. X1575603065856
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2019

X1575603065856 , Dec 6, 2019 :
    I was wondering what the service would be like in the US..... I'm in Dallas and will not buy one if they do not have fast shipping ....for service I'll get another Samsung.

D1573855743550 likes this.
  3. lpadvisor
    Froyo Dec 18, 2019

lpadvisor , Dec 18, 2019 :
    This is turning out worse than I expected.

Dec 9 - Monday (day 0) - Sent phone back with Fed Ex shipping label supplied by OnePlus. I had to call OnePlus to get this shipping label because I didn't get any email from the service center.
    Dec 11 - Wednesday (day 2) - FedEx delivered phone to service center at 10 AM.
    Dec 13 - Friday (day 4) - Hadn't heard anything. Checked OnePlus site for service update. No update. Called OnePlus. They had to check because the new service center is not giving service updates on the OnePlus website. Person said it was received on Thursday?? (See Dec 11). One day lost. They said they would update me with changes in status.
    Dec 18 - Wednesday (day 9) - Still nothing from OnePlus. Called. After checking OP said it is being evaluated. WHAT!!! They said they would update me in 24 to 48 hours. We'll see if that happens.

Will keep you updated on this traumatic experience.

4. lpadvisor
    Froyo Jan 3, 2020

lpadvisor , Jan 3, 2020 :
    This has been WAY worse than I could have anticipated!!

After dozens of correspondence and phone calls OnePlus has denied my phone is on warranty. EVEN THOUGH I CLEARLY HAD CORRESPONDED WITH OnePlus OF THE PROBLEM WHILE STILL IN WARRANTY!! I wasn't able to send back to OnePlus on my original service ticket because I was going on vacation and their repairs at the "new" service center took 2 weeks.

I was told several times by OP people that it would be taken care of on warranty because my original request was within the warranty period.

In talking with the OP support people there is nobody that can look at the situation and make the right decision. I asked several times to talk to a supervisor and they would never transfer me. I finally asked for a US address to send a letter and they couldn't or wouldn't give me a US headquarters address. I sent an email through their support site but I expect that will end up in the same place as all my other correspondence.

Truly OnePlus is not customer service centric. The support team has no authority to do anything off script.

Update 01/06/2020 - I just received an email from someone with OnePlus indicating after further review they will handle my claim under warranty. Good news! Still some moving parts to be coordinated on getting this phone repaired but I will update when completely resolved.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020

5. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Jan 11, 2020 :
    They might want to consider a chain like uBreakIfix, which I think is the chain Google uses for the Pixel 4.

Another company called iFixandRepair has a branch at a Walmart about an hour from me, and their techs seem competent enough. I live in the boondocks, so an hour drive is no big deal. I have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest decent grocery store. Everything is relative.

Having an exclusive account with one shop in a country as big as this one isn't very efficient. Dealing with chains that have branches within a reasonable drive of pretty much anywhere would save OnePlus a fortune in FedEx bills.

Also, OnePlus doesn't have a huge variety of phones, so keeping a few of the most common parts on hand wouldn't be as big a burden for the shops as stocking parts for a company that has a bazillion different phone models. I imagine most chains would be interested in talking about a deal.

Richard

6. lpadvisor
    Froyo Feb 7, 2020

lpadvisor , Feb 7, 2020 :
    2/7/2020 - THIS IS FINALLY OVER!!

I got my repaired phone back about a week ago. They DID repair it under warranty.

After 2 months, over 30 emails and at least 10 phone calls... It wasn't without considerable additional pain though.

The first time I sent it back in early Dec, 2019 after 3 weeks of them sending me multiple emails that I had to pay, the Ft Worth service center sent it back to me un-repaired. This was unfortunately after the OnePlus Customer Service email team said they would fix it under warranty. The OP CS said they couldn't catch it in time.

So I had to send it back to the service center AGAIN. I thought this would be quick since OP CS said it would be handled under warranty. But NO! The phone sat in the OP Repair Center for at least 2 more weeks and they started sending me the "I need to pay" emails again. I kept emailing OP CS and they said they were taking care of it but nothing happened. Out of ultimate desperation, since I thought they were going to send it back again un-repaired, I found some number for the repair center in Ft Worth. After multiple call attempts since no one would answer I FINALLY got a nice lady who it was not even remotely her job and she tracked down somebody. They agreed to send it back the next day repaired under warranty!

The Final Insult
    I got my working phone back in a couple days. All excited! BUT,,, the SIM tray was single SIM. The phone was dual SIM (which I originally ordered direct from OP to get Dual SIM) but the tray was single SIM. The repair tech had put the wrong SIM tray in my phone.

Back on the phone to OP and they sent me a new SIM tray. Just got it today in about a week.

The Takeaway
    I really like OnePlus Phones. But the change to this different 3rd party repair center in Ft Worth has been abysmal! It seems the communication between the OP Cust Service and the Service Center is non-existent. It seems everything is done by email and nobody at the Service Center is monitoring.

I hope this extended novel finds its way to somebody with authority at OnePlus. I would consider a new OnePlus phone in a year or two but not if improvements aren't made to the repair service.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  7. overslept
    Eclair Feb 10, 2020

overslept , Feb 10, 2020 :
    I'm in Dallas too, it would be frustrating going through OP's experience while being only a 30 minute drive from the facility.

8. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 10, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 10, 2020 :
    I think I may have said this before (I'm active on way too many forums); but considering that OnePlus doesn't have a bazillion different phone models to support, one would think it a no-brainer to cut a deal with one of the nationwide walk-in phone-repair chains.

Fewer phone models mean fewer parts, and fewer parts mean simpler logistics. The individual stores could stock the most commonly-needed parts like screens and batteries, and anything else could easily be overnighted to them from a single warehouse (or perhaps regional warehouses, if the chains already have them in place). Repairs could then be done while the customer waits, shops, drinks coffee, waxes their car, or whatever.

Richard

overslept likes this.