Samsung Galaxy Note 10 - Is this what you wanted?

?

What do you think of the Note 10 ?

1. I was overexpectant

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Meh!

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. I won't buy it, who cares?

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2019

YRJ , Aug 7, 2019 :
    20190808_041437_0002.png

Hello Folks,
    Time zones are crazy, people enjoying an evening launch in Brooklyn and me, well staring at my phone while I should technically be asleep.
    That aside, samsung today added 2 new phones to its note lineup. The Note 10 and Note 10+ , is it worth the buzz? Let's find out.

The note 10 series adopts a new 'boxy' design language with extremely slim bezels and a tiny hole puch camera on the front. The back has a triple camera setup (2 additional cutouts on the 10+ , time of fight sensor) the sides of the phone are rather clean with only 2 buttons on one side, the volume rockers and a Bixby button. You have the standard c type charging port, the housing for the spen, a sim tray, the speaker and NO headphone jack. Rip!

The spec sheet is no less satisfying, both phones boast top of the line specs, it is a do everything phone afterall. But that's every other flagship in the market nowadays, what sets the Note Series apart?

The Stylus: Stylus has always been an integral part of the note series, it has always been there. But with time the pen gets powerful or should I say gimmicky. What was supposed to be an artistic tool has now turned to a magic wand. Imagine standing a couple feet away from the phone and moving the pen in air, it will work or chances are it won't. But okay, the S pen is what makes the note the note so this gets a pass. To sum it up the S Pen is indedd a magic wand with little tricks up its sleeve.

Design: The New note series have a newer better and a 2019ish design. The phone looks drop dead gorgeous, all screen beauty, ultra slim bezels and a smaller punch hole camera Samsung chose to embrace!

Cameras: While the cameras are closely similar to what you might have seen on the Samsung galaxy S10! There are few nifty features that have been added in both photo and video. You have an entire video editing suite right on your phone, something OnePlus users have been asking for lately. There is also super steady feature that outputs amazing videos and live Bokeh that lets you adjust background blur in video. Another cool new feature is, microphone zoom - this allows you to zoom and focus on sound in a video. ( Again, will have to see some live examples to judge better, but sounds great!) There is also a time of flight arrangement on the Note 10+ which helps in 3d mapping and
    As far as the cameras image capabilities are concerned we will have to wait for the review units to be sent out and maybe then there will be better clarity on this.
    Samsung Dex - Smartphones are powerful on the inside to be able to convert that power into a larger form factor is extremely convenient. Do all the things you would do on a computer with the power of your phone!
    Display: It is no secret that Samsung is best when it comes to displays, and the same stands true even today. The displays on the note 10 series are all screen and nicely curved on either sides of the phone.

Cons:
    While the Note series have been builts quite well with the top of the line specs they are still lacking. The note series is supposed to be the best phone samsung has made and that is how things were until Samsung decided to bifurcate it into plus and regular models.
    The regular note 10 has sacrificed many hardware features to make way for the 10+, and it's not just the display. It's the battery, a microsd card slot, storage and a shade of aura!
    With the note series one would expect bigger numbers when it comes to display, given that OnePlus and ROG phones are hitting 90hz and 120hz of refresh ratios it would be great if Samsung followed the trend.

To conclude, the Note series is a beautiful piece of tech, I love the design of the phone and a couple nifty features that have been added. But maybe I was expecting more of the Note series.
    What do you think about the Note Series starting at $949 ? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Peace,
    YRJ

2. OTGTM101
    Eclair Aug 8, 2019

OTGTM101 , Aug 8, 2019 :
    Forgive me if I get a bit off topic while I try to keep on topic with your post. Thank you.

I was in a state of panic for quite some time (the note10+ 5G hysteria pushed me to the breaking point, lol) wanting a new gadget after the note8's screen-aspect ratio surprised (deflated actually, because not even dex was onboard) me regarding size expectations (going from 6.1 to 6.4 inches) over my much wider previous droid device, though not as long in the screen as the note8.

SO, I was pleased that I once again had a device to fit in my various pockets and packs, even if it did stick out a bit. That said, the note9 didn't faze me due to such similar size and specs as the note8, because the note10(5G) rumors kept me patiently waiting and I was ecstatic with the thought of an even larger screen on the note10+!

Yet now I see that the screen specs, though slightly squared a bit more around the corners, are basically the same screen specs as the latest oneplus. The oneplus 7 pro is much cheaper than the note10/note10+, yet the specs are roughly the same where it counts if not above par over the new note series: screen size, cam specs, cpu/gpu w/cooling, battery-charging, storage-options and the OTG/peripheral-HDMI factor.

My samsung externals and adapters work just fine with the oneplus and when docked, works and plays the same. I also can plug a generic type C hub into it and it's the perfect companion for office related situations, etc.. The earphone jack is missed, sorta, but again with an adapter this is easily remedied. If the oneplus 7 pro did not have such similar if not the same features as the upcoming note10+, I'd have waited for the new note series.

Discostu, Ruby G. and YRJ like this.
  3. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 8, 2019

YRJ , Aug 8, 2019 :
    Your post was certainly on topic, and a bit of off topic never killed anyone ;)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with everything you state above.
    Indeed, I had high expectations from the Note 10 series, the outcome in underwhelming and that's just my opinion.

Discostu and OTGTM101 like this.
  4. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 8, 2019

rameshshreyas , Aug 8, 2019 :
    I think looking at the Note lineup, the S-lineup surely looks like a much better package overall. And I'd probably be confused to choose between the S10 (if they reduce prices now) and the OP7 Pro.

OTGTM101, G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  5. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 8, 2019

YRJ , Aug 8, 2019 :
    That's right, the Samsung S10 at this point sounds like a great deal. The missing "Wow" factor from the Note Lineup is certainly dissapointing.
    Let's hope that the camera sets new benchmarks, will have to wait for a full review from the media.

OTGTM101 likes this.
  6. OTGTM101
    Eclair Aug 8, 2019

OTGTM101 , Aug 8, 2019 :
    Yep, that's the same thing I thought also. Due to such similar specs and being samsung, the S10-5G was going to be my quick fix for not wanting to wait on the note10pro+, but of course where I'm at it wasn't/isn't available due to 5G's slow expansion, and secretly I've always wanted a 1+ device.

SO, once I took my time to review specs and prices, the oneplus 7 pro being the cheaper(cheaper price wise-build wise it's one of the finest devices I've owned yet) device I had to get it, especially once I saw the popup selfie in action(just kidding about that, lol), and now I'm a happy 1+ owner, and it's a nice Huawei (blacklisted here in the states) alternative...

7. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 8, 2019

rameshshreyas , Aug 8, 2019 :
    Congratulations and welcome to the Community!
    I chose none cuz no money xD trying to push as much as I can to buy the 7 Pro for one reason and that's using the Moment lenses. They are at another level only!

G_plusone and OTGTM101 like this.
  8. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Aug 9, 2019

OTGTM101 and YRJ like this.
  9. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 9, 2019

YRJ , Aug 9, 2019 :
    It's not worth the attention/money either. :p

G_plusone likes this.
  10. Impersonal
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 9, 2019

Impersonal , Aug 9, 2019 :
    Well, I like it, maybe if I'll be on the good list, I'll get it from Santa (on the holidays, most tech shop run promotions here), last Samsung I owend was the S8+, only for a couple of weeks, I didn't enjoyed it to much and returned it (I did the same with the 7pro :p ), last awesome Samsung phone product I actually used for a long period of time, was the spectacular S3...
    But we are a few months before holidays, so who knows, I'm interested in the K20 pro, the Note 10 + ... and and probably the Pixel 4 and the 7 pro T will be out until then..

Ps: if you can manage the hype, it's a great time to be a tech fan, every couple of months something awesome, pops up on the market, so it all comes down to personal taste, there aren't any good or bad options anymore

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019

Discostu, OTGTM101 and YRJ like this.
  11. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 10, 2019

YRJ , Aug 10, 2019 :
    It's cool if you like it. It's not a bad phone at all, just that the missing "WoW" factor is what is disappointing.
    The smartphone market is on a stage where you need to do something extraordinary (industry firsts) for people to turn heads.
    If the Note lineup is popular today, one of the major factors is the stylus. It's a good thing to have for those who need it, but turning it into a gimmick magic wand? Please excuse me.

OTGTM101 and Impersonal like this.
  12. Starcommander
    KitKat Aug 11, 2019

Discostu and YRJ like this.
  13. YRJ
    Lollipop Aug 11, 2019

Discostu and Starcommander like this.
  14. ZPerri88
    Eclair Aug 12, 2019

malidan likes this.
  15. malidan
    Marshmallow Aug 12, 2019

malidan , Aug 12, 2019 :
    High refresh rate screens are old tech and Sharp have been running them for close on 5 year, so why are you giving OP and Asus credit for being 4 years behind.? Even the Razer introduced it 2 years ago.

The Mods have been handing out warnings for duplicate thread subjects and you have 2 thread still open.:rolleyes:
    The stench of blind predudice and vitimisation shrouds the forum AGAIN!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019

K1ngP1n and ilovesoneplus like this.
  16. malidan
    Marshmallow Aug 12, 2019

malidan , Aug 12, 2019 :
    It never ceases to amaze me how OP owners always seem to make less, the same as.
    Screen will be better on the Note
    Charging is better
    Cooling is better.
    Camera's are better.
    Storage is better.
    Bluetooth better
    Water resistance better
    Wireless charging better
    Speakers better
    And the list of specs and feature will go on and on and on.
    I can get the Note 10+ 5G for OP money today.
    IMG_20190812_174850.jpg

FlixbusLennart likes this.
  17. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 12, 2019

Discostu , Aug 12, 2019 :
    The note 10 lineup is compelling however price above all else gets in the way of what should be a good phone.

I enjoy the design of the phone(s) , the aurora colour in particular is quite striking - though I am not sure if I love it or hate it. The middle hole punch for the selfie shooter is world's better than the off-centre and large corner punches in the S series of phones, making it a much more aesthetically pleasing front to look at.

The baby Note 10 seems like the poor cousin missing out on features one would expect from Samsung's flagship line up - no microSD slot or QHD seem like a mistep to me. Coupled with the loss of the headphone jack and it seems like the "phones for the person who wants everything including the kitchen sink" are no more the case.

However as I said, above all else the price gets in the way. The 10 starts at $1,500AUD / 10+ at $1,700AUD / 10+ 5g at $2,000AUD. Personally I can't justify that kind of money for a phone. Even the "cheapest" of the trio is a trip to New York!

Undoubtedly there is a market for it, however I can't help but question how big it will be when the price points are so astronomical.

Impersonal, Starcommander and YRJ like this.
  18. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 13, 2019

Discostu , Aug 13, 2019 :

ZPerri88

45w charging has me jealous, warp charge is yesterday's news..​

The thing that bugs me about this is that Samsung have "pulled an Apple" - in that they ONLY offer the faster charging IF you buy the high performance charger. If not then it's 25 watt charging...

It's a bit rich when you're paying so much for a phone to not get everything they offer IMHO

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019

YRJ likes this.
  19. Starcommander
    KitKat Aug 14, 2019

Starcommander , Aug 14, 2019 :
    Imho, I don't really like the multicolored back of note 10. Damn I loved their game play with lilac, coral but this aurora color isn't my cup of tea

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019

Impersonal, sommersy and YRJ like this.
  20. malidan
    Marshmallow Aug 15, 2019

malidan , Aug 15, 2019 :
    Note 10 at 25w I don't see why one would be disappointed with a superior charging system.

A bigger battery yet still faster whilst saving the environment by using less POWER.

It's a lean GREEN machine

There is just no pleasing some people.:rolleyes:
    Screenshot_20190815-200127_YouTube.jpg

K1ngP1n, Starcommander and Impersonal like this.