Samsung Galaxy Note 5 ? any thoughts?

1. FrizeLimao
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2015

FrizeLimao , Aug 13, 2015 :
    You can't compare Note 5 with OP2. They play in different leagues, hence the price difference.

Note 5 has a better screen, camera, build, overall specs. But that's logical. It will cost almost two times more.

I won't be buying neither, as I'm currently waiting for the new Nexus, not because they aren't great devices, but because they lack some must have features for me like expandable storage, FM Rádio, (NFC, Wireless/Fast charging - OP's fault on those :p), good UI (speaking to you Samsung!).

And OnePlus, you must improve your invite system. I mean, I'm an early supporter and I witnessed last year's mess. I understand you were a startup. But no excuses this time.

2. Versed
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2015

Versed , Aug 13, 2015 :
    Its now mid August, no 5.1.1, unless one wants to jump through hoops. Inexcusable. They still haven't got a stable and good release with Oxygen. And even switching depedning on thoughts and how you want to do it is a pain in the ***. And One Plus is not alone n this.

3. Methiri
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 13, 2015

Methiri , Aug 13, 2015 :
    Smaller Battery with 3000MaH - We need to wait for reviews to see real world usage. Smaller 14nm chip is more efficient. Smaller doesn't necessarily mean shorter usage time.

No SD Slot - Yes, annoying I agree. But for most people 32GB is miles more than enough.

No 128GB Model - Don't need, research shows most people don't use above 16gb. 32GB and 64GB is fine. It's the price increase to get the storage that's bad. Storage is very cheap.

Non-Removable Battery - If it works well this is not necessary.

Not significant higher PPI Density - Your eyes can't even make out FHD, QHD is totally totally pointless. It's a stat, nothing more. 4K is only used for VR and no-one is using their phone like that at moment.

No Camera changes - Not needed, S6 is easily best camera on market.

No USB-Type C - Very early days for Type -C, not really a big deal.

This will be an amazing phone, shame it's not coming to Europe. Battery life could be a worry if processor efficiency isn't as touted but if that comes through this will be the world's best phone.

Prathamesh Borgharkar and sfomin like this.
  4. sfomin
    Nougat Aug 13, 2015

sfomin , Aug 13, 2015 :
    I approve this post

veratoloz2005 and Methiri like this.
  5. eckbauer
    KitKat Aug 13, 2015

6. Methiri

Methiri , Aug 13, 2015 :
    I agree, I don't understand OP especially with the updates. People get these phones so they can flash the latest ROMs as they come out don't they? I worry that they are forgetting the OPO then at Christmas they might put OPT on backburner when this new phone comes out!

7. DarrellSimon

DarrellSimon , Aug 13, 2015 :
    But samsung is lightning touchwiz

youngmouss likes this.
  8. Prathamesh Borgharkar
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2015

Prathamesh Borgharkar , Aug 13, 2015 :
    my friend too had OPO display problem last year

9. armmani2001
    KitKat Aug 13, 2015

armmani2001 , Aug 13, 2015 :
    Its released now but I haven't checked the specs yet :p

10. Prathamesh Borgharkar
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2015

i wanted to say most of it.. Just that i was too bored to type.
    and i totally agree with u.
    i said the exact same thing just with less words.
    and would u buy the Note 5? If given for free?
    bcoz if free then yeah i would use. But paying for it, then i would say i'm still a student and would buy if earning.

11. Methiri

Methiri , Aug 13, 2015 :
    It's probably the best phone in the world, but is it worth £600? Is any phone? I'm not sure. I used to always buy the best phone on the market but the market has changed, you can get very good phones - the OPT, the MotoX, the new Nexus phones - for about half the price. Yeah the Note5 is better, but how much better, certainly not £300 better. I think I would rather have a phone that's very very good - say the Huawei Nexus if it lives up to it's billing - for £300-350 rather than the market leader for £600-650.

12. Prathamesh Borgharkar
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2015

well that's true.. wasting Rs.60k on a phone is waste because atleast in India u can get a 3D TV of samsung at that price and i have that tv only :p
    I say companies like OP, Moto, Huawei, Oppo are really keeping the phone price at its best.. Unlike iphone (it is completely different thing so lets not get there). But there should be a limit of price tags and seriously saying i would never pay more than Rs.30K on a phone ever.

13. elchapinde617

elchapinde617 , Aug 13, 2015 :
    and of course, only the 32gb option is available for T-Mobile... greatly disappointed

14. yanick
    Aug 13, 2015

15. Methiri

Methiri , Aug 13, 2015 :
    Thing is Apple make crazy money, Samsung have posted losses for 5 quarters in a row. Apple is a religion, Samsung is not. Samsung have to change their pricing model and with Xiaomi coming into Samsung dominated markets like Europe and India (and even Africa which is nearly 100% Samsung dominated) they have to change their pricing via distribution and advertising models to keep pace. Savvy owners are looking at those brands you mentioned but soon even the casual owners will know about Oppo and Huawei and Xiaomi, Samsung have to adapt or continue to lose market share and price is the ultimate attention grabber to the consumer.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015

16. yanick
    Aug 13, 2015

17. Wafflez946
    Eclair Aug 13, 2015

Wafflez946 , Aug 13, 2015 :
    samsung keeps trying to copy apple and by doing so they have gone away from what made their phones so great =/

18. davidbae
    Froyo Aug 13, 2015

davidbae , Aug 13, 2015 :
    Gotta agree here. Samsung's Note 5 feels too unfocused and the entire release felt way too rushed for the release of a flagship product that you're hoping will boost sales. I get the vibe that they rushed to put together a presentation in order to pre-empt the iPhone release. The whole presentation felt incredibly unfocused and just a little bit of, "WE HAVE EVERYTHING!" Like those horrible pan-asian restaurants that supposedly cook "all asian food" and end up doing nothing well.

Want a physical keyboard we got it! Want a big screen? We got it! Want a camera? We got it! Want to live stream to Youtube? We got it! (Who has ever been desperate to set up a livestream to youtube via phone?)

With all that being said, this is a pretty mean package of a phone, I'm a little bummed about the slimmed down battery, but we'll see what real world usage looks like, Samsung must have a lot of confidence in their QHD screens and their Exynos processors to be able to efficiently push power without straining the system with the 4GB of RAM.

I think we're seeing the end of microSD and 128GB, the lack of 128 option is proof that the option wasn't selling for Samsung. The future is in cloud storage, and online everything, more and more companies are pushing for a seamless connection between devices, and a constant reliance on the cloud, evidenced by Samsung's push and announcement towards their SideSync

I think alot of the things about Samsung's new software features seem great, but we'll see how they pan out in the realworld. I was really excited about air command conceptually, but in reality... it didnt turn out to be as great as I had hoped, same with auto-scroll, same with detecting eye movements for screen-sleep, etc. etc. The jotting down notes with the screen off is great, but they need to add a quicker access towards their fantastic camera like the MotoX's double-twist gesture.

19. yanick
    Aug 13, 2015

yanick , Aug 13, 2015 :
    http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5-s6-edge-128gb-633983/

20. Methiri

Methiri , Aug 13, 2015 :
    I agree the future is cloud but at the moment many people distrust it for security and privacy reasons and from a hardware and implementation side, it is far from perfect. Storage seems OK with Dropbox and the like but that relies on a steady data connection, not always possible. And real time access can have it's drawbacks like we're seeing with Xbox Live and server side cloud storage, it's just not as stable/flawless as one would want. All those Samsung features - Air gesture, head scroll, etc don't work very well, I would rather see a leaner, meaner device that scrapped all that (along with the bloatware although that won't happen as it generates a lot of money for Samsung). I actually thought the camera on the S6 was very fast to access but going into 2016 I think it should be almost instantaneous.