Samsung Isocell GN2 | A bigger better sensor enters the arena

1. razzor228
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Feb 26, 2021

razzor228 , Feb 26, 2021 :
    Thread Header.jpg
    Source: Samsung

Samsung just announced the 50MP Isocell GN2 camera sensor, a successor to the 50MP Isocell GN1 camera sensor released last year. They announced the First generation (GN1) around May last year. The GN1 ditched the 108MP with more resolution for a 50MP sensor with bigger pixels. But it's wasn't just the resolution that changed, the GN1 also saw a 50% increase in sensor size from 0.8-micron pixels to 1.2-micron pixels. A larger sensor usually results in better low light performance.

At a time where brands like Apple and Google are still launching flagships with 12MP Cameras, it makes you wonder whether these insane megapixels counts make a difference or not.

Despite the Isocell GN1 being launched back in May 2020, Samsung chose to skip it on the New S21 Ultra and opted for the Isocell HM3 with a 108MP sensor instead. Meanwhile, the only devices that seem to use the GN1 have been launched by Vivo in the past.

To make things worse for Samsung and in this case the S21 Ultra, the Vivo X60 Pro Plus with the GN1 takes much better shots. Due to the larger sensor size, it also beats the S21 Ultra in Low Light Photography by a significant margin.

IMG_20210201_184755.jpg

20210201_184813.jpg
    Source: XDA Developers

But this does not mean it has a much better camera overall. The software also plays a significant role in making the camera output look better. Google and Apple are living proof of just how important the software can be even if you do not have a flagship-level camera sensor.

However, this shows us the potential of the GN1 sensor. Imagine the kind of shots it could take with the right kind of software. Now, take your imagination a step further and think about the kind of shots that the successor to the GN1 can take.

While there wasn’t much wrong with the GN1, OEMs never gave it a shot, but that's about to change. With the new Mi 11 ultra rumored to sport the 50MP Isocell GN2 sensor, there is a possibility of future Galaxy devices using it too.

The Isocell GN2 brings with it a whole host of camera goodies, one of which is the new Dual Pixel Pro Technology. Samsung says this is their most advanced Phase Detection Autofocus solution. With Dual Pixel Pro, each pixel is not only split vertically but also diagonally allowing for all-direction focusing. The diagonal split allows the sensor to focus on the top and bottom of the frame with much ease than earlier. This also results in improved Low-Light Performance as well as improved shooting while capturing moving objects.

Samsung has also made improvements in their HDR Technology by introducing what they are calling Staggered HDR-Feature. This allows the GN2 to increase the dynamic range in a staggered manner that uses rolling shutters over the same pixel array to capture multiple frames in short, middle, and long exposures. This ensures rich detail and vivid color in highlights and shadows. While doing all this, Staggered-HDR Technology is also energy efficient and consumes less energy than the real-time HDR mode found on the GN1.

Whilst on the subject of lighting, the GN2 also comes with Smart ISO allowing the sensor to take images using an optimal ISO i.e low ISO for bright outdoor scenes or a higher ISO for dimly lit indoor scenes. Then, Smart ISO Pro uses an intra-scene dual conversion gain (iDCG) solution to take readouts from both low and high ISO instantly to create a high dynamic range with fewer motion artifacts. In extremely low light, it quickly takes and processes multiple frames in higher ISO.

Along with all these features, the GN2 also comes with support for 8K/24fps Video Recording and slow-motion at 4K/120fps or 480fps in Full HD. While the GN2 is only a 50MP, it is also capable of outputting 100MP images by creating “three individual layers of 50MP frames in green, red, and blue” and then using a remosaic algorithm to produce a 100MP image much like the GN1.

So, what do you think is the capability of this sensor? Can it actually beat the IMX766 50MP sensor which is rumored to be a part of the Quad Camera Setup on the OnePlus 9 Pro?

2. siddiquianas
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2021

SRD., Jassaman and razzor228 like this.
  3. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Feb 26, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Feb 26, 2021 :
    Great improvent...but I think that people don't have any use of this much power since professional photographers will stick to DSLRs only...🤔
    Looking at the specs, probably yes 😉

bvbk, knkishor, Abhishek654 and 4 others like this.
  4. Aaron2017
    KitKat Feb 26, 2021

Aaron2017 , Feb 26, 2021 :
    It depends, if OnePlus can step up it's software processing skills, maybe. But that's a big maybe, I think it won't be easy to beat Samsung in the camera department...

5. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Feb 26, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Feb 26, 2021 :
    Good to know the latest tech! But as always huge effort goes in background to deliver the best output for the consumer! Samsung & sony might provide the hardware but it's the post processing which makes the difference ! I hope cameras of OnePlus 9 pro will blow the market!
    I'm hoping for quad camera set up like:
    1.108mp main with 30x good clarity zoom
    2.64mp telephoto with 10x optical zoom and not digital one
    3.48mp wide angle shooter.
    4. Maybe periscope lens or anything else!
    Instead of having 4 sub performing camera just 2 excellent camera is enough with good processing ! I'm hoping for the best!

6. OConsultYaseenP
    Gingerbread Feb 26, 2021

knkishor likes this.
  8. nile3322
    Froyo Feb 26, 2021

9. pkg3107
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2021

pkg3107 , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Feb 26, 2021 :
    According to what I feel, the camera department has been the major working for OnePlus this year... So I feel with a great software, I'm pretty sure it can beat, or atleast compete with the other flagship cameras. (Keeping in mind the new sensors are of a well reputed brand)

10. Q1613123931673
    Gingerbread Feb 26, 2021

Jassaman likes this.
  11. mallu.achayan
    Froyo Feb 26, 2021

12. mallu.achayan
    Froyo Feb 26, 2021

13. Karthick2301
    Froyo Feb 26, 2021

Karthick2301 , via OnePlus 6T , Feb 26, 2021 :
    It's because Samsung is providing the original 50MP while others are just telling 108MP but not giving the original spec. At times I'm capturing more perfect in my One plus 6T itself, this is all because of providing the original quality of the spec along with the software. I expect one plus will give much more than this. By the way all the very best to Samsung and whatever it may be I'll be supporting one plus which is never settled me....

14. Sanad4Reall
    Donut Feb 26, 2021

sahasra143 likes this.
  15. Drasm19
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2021

16. Kvl_21
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2021

17. Surlux
    Eclair Feb 26, 2021

18. ntquyet143
    Gingerbread Feb 27, 2021

sahasra143 likes this.