Samsung S10 plus owner reviewing Oneplus 7 Pro

1. Riz157 Froyo May 23, 2019

Riz157, May 23, 2019 :
    Where do I start with this, well let's start with my S10 plus 512gb version as that was my daily driver since launch. For me that's a seriously long time to stay with the same phone. It still is top notch, pardon the punt.
    I never thought I would leave my favourite phone and for good reasons too to pickup the cheaper Oneplus.
    The following are the reasons why I'm currently holding on to Oneplus 7 pro, the features which I most impressed with:

1. QHD 6.67" amoled all screen, vibrant big and bright all screen. Nearly as vibrant as Samsung's screen.

2. Camera best Oneplus have produced. Images sharp with good detail, really impressed. Obviously not as good as Samsung's but for me good enough. I'm not a massive picture taker or selfies person. 4k 60fps super stable.

3. Loud dual speakers, again this is top notch. Not as full or rich sound as S10 plus but it's darn close. Another surprise.

4. Triple SSS performance (coin that one) - Super smooth speedy performance. No strutting or freezing experienced as of yet.

5. Near stock firmware with a few Oneplus touches. Love it better then stock android a actually

6. Quick updates to latest Android software.

7. Pop up camera prefer it over the hole in the screen, use it unlock phone as it's a cool feature.

8. That damn refresh rate, boy ow boy is it smooth. This has completely spoilt me, it's fluid. This was always missing in android phones when comparing to iPhone. It's not perfect but it's brilliant.

It's pricey but when I consider how much other flagships are selling for its value for money.
    I would pick this phone over any other phone even though it doesn't have wireless charging and waterproof ratings and only 256gb storage. Anyone overly reliant on these features then this phone isn't for you. Fortunately I'm not and I'm sticking with it for as long as I can.

So far I haven't missed my S10 plus and I'm glad Oneplus took this flagship route too. And I'm glad they've given people choice of going premium or the cheaper version.

Any questions give me a shout.

2. meatandy Nougat May 23, 2019

3. Riz157 Froyo May 23, 2019

Riz157, May 23, 2019 :

meatandy

Why would you need more than 256gb storage anyway?​

For those who want everything on the device I suppose, I actually prefer the extra memory. I've already used up around 140gb on my S10 plus.
    1558606992136.jpg

gmaria1987 likes this.
  4. Discostu Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2019

Discostu, May 23, 2019 :
    I've blown through my 128gb and wish I had an SD card - I save all of my professional photos to my phone :)

Bouncer71 and gmaria1987 like this.
  5. MasterSwami Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2019

MasterSwami, May 23, 2019 :
    great post. Even I sold my S10 plus for this beast.
    sure, s10 plus is good is many departments, but boy o boy the 90hz display, OOS, performance and the vibration motor is enough to make me stick to this one.

Lokeshwar chanda and Riz157 like this.
  6. Riz157 Froyo May 23, 2019

Riz157, May 23, 2019 :
    Thanks for the encouraging words.
    if I may ask is there anything you do miss on the S10 plus?

7. MasterSwami Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2019

MasterSwami, May 23, 2019 :
    S10 is a complete package both hardware and software wise, though many of the Samsung apps are junk, specially ones from FB, Foursquare, Flipboard etc.

I do think S10 cameras are better. also the always on display, video wallpapers, edge panel, resize apps screen and so on as nice to have features but not must haves.

but then i look at it this way -
    - OnePlus will always perform better than S10, thanks to Oxygen OS.
    - OnePlus will get Android Q faster than any other OEM.
    - OnePlus open beta program is as good as stable and lets you test all the lastest features.
    - though s10 display is bit more vibrant and bright compared to op7p, the 90hz is a game changer.

8. NeO_Sk8eR Donut May 23, 2019

9. HayHayIsALoser Froyo May 23, 2019

HayHayIsALoser, May 23, 2019 :
    I have an s10e and have used the 7 pro quite a bit. I have pretty much the same opinions as you xD.

Though the addition of telephoto on 7 pro is nice, I wish the wide angle lens was a little wider. Also, I feel as though nightscape on OnePlus beats out Samsung's offerings by a long shot. It could be dependent on the update Samsung pushes out and when, but as of now I think OnePlus > Samsung for night photography

Riz157 likes this.
  10. ShirayuHS Donut May 23, 2019

ShirayuHS, May 23, 2019 :
    Posting here since this seems to be the thread for it. I've journeyed through phones for a while now. had the Galaxy s8 for two years, then upgraded to the S10 due to the killer trade in deal they had. $300 for a two year old product was too good to pass up for me. Then the OnePlus 7 pro came around.

Once I saw OnePlus step up it's game to give us flagship bells and whistles of the quality of the s10 for less than even Samsung's s10e, I jumped on board.

What I love about the OnePlus 7 Pro
    -Screen quality is comparable to the S10 in many respects
    -90Hz refresh rate makes the phone feel like butter
    -haptic vibration is pretty on point. It feels amazing
    -Minimal bloatware, just few non core OnePlus apps, and a messenger and gallary. this is one thing I love and a reason I don't think I can go back to Samsung. I have hated the sheer number or duplicate apps for the same function.
    -Gaming mode! The S10 has one, but I love the way it's implented here. only thing missing is Auto dimming to near off conditions if you idle in the game for too long as some games don't let your phone go to sleep.
    -UI dark mode is always a plus
    -Shelf, it's where I out all my widgets now. something similar to ios which is one of the features from there I liked a lot
    -Alert slider, another apple feature that I loved but this does it one better with a silent mode as well :)
    -NO BIXBY, now I'm not gonna say Bixby was crap, but the crap came in two flavors. The first is why compete with what you're built on? Google assistant is miles ahead and works very well, add another assistant and you're just competing for resources. on my Samsung voice wake up just doesn't work well because the assistant is relegated to the background due to Bixby. the second is that damn button. good riddance for me.
    -Community oriented OS. Samsung is definitely corporate. no matter how they try with Samsung+ to try and make it more community oriented. at the end of the day the feedback feels like it just gets wasted and it's more gimmicky. OnePlus feels like a lot of features and the evolution of the OS came from community contributions like a true Linux. keeping close to the core and just enhancing upon it. I love it

What it's lacking:
    -Comprehensive dark mode. the notification shade is in dark mode, but the notification cards are not? may have something to do with the UI is from OnePlus but the cards are from Google. maybe something Android q will fix
    -colorful dark mode. I like colors, the point of dark mode for me is so that my eyes don't burn out at night by the bright white light, but doesn't mean I don't like other colors in my UI.
    -Messenger is lacking: Gallary, I get, some people want to separate local photos from the cloud. I choose to use Google photos, but I can see why a native Gallary is attractive. the messenger app though is a bit of a miss for me. especially when Google has their own native messenger with web integration, that was very well for my purposes. If this is something the community championed for, I won't argue with it, but I also don't get it.
    -Community app dark mode. how is this not here yet? xD

somethings to consider with the next iteration are
    -wireless charging: it's starting to become a crowd favorite, if you can do it on the cheap and make it work as well or better than others, do it
    -More charging standard support. WARP charge is amazing, but if I'm at the airport I probably won't have my warp charger on me. your partnership with Qualcomm should help in incorporating their quick charge standard on the cheap
    -ultrasonic fingerprint sensor. more secure, and Qualcomm produces them. use the partnership, and your coding prowess to make the sensor as fast as the current optical iteration, the components in bulk can't add to much to the phone cost.
    -SD card support, a very cheap addition for power users
    -improved DAC and sound system. you've upgraded the screen to Samsung level, next it's time to upgrade the sound system to LG level
    -

These minor hardware additions I can't see adding more than $30 to the overall phone, so the base model starts at $700. at that point the only thing critics will give you crap for is IP rating, which I totally get why the company doesn't do it.

Overall I want the company to become it's motto. "Never Settle" it's damn close, but with a few more upgrades that will keep the phone at about $700 base price, I think OnePlus will win the long game, and start putting epic pressure on Samsung and apple at that point.

never change oxygenOS close to stock nature. it won me over.

11. Spelt Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2019

Spelt, May 24, 2019 :
    Phone storage really should only be temporary storage until you get a chance to move it.

12. seiadoon Froyo May 24, 2019

seiadoon, May 24, 2019 :
    Question for those of you who have used the S10+: any issues with the 7P in pockets and sitting down?

13. Riz157 Froyo May 24, 2019

Riz157, May 24, 2019 :
    any particular issue you are concerned about? I've not experienced anything unusual.

14. seiadoon Froyo May 24, 2019

seiadoon, May 24, 2019 :
    I'm curious about it because I don't have any dummy phones to try out. Not even a dummy Note8 (which has almost identical dimensions).

I have a fairly athletic build, so my main concern would be whether the phone would cause stretching in the pocket/push up against my hip (even with medium sized to deep pants pockets).

15. ShirayuHS Donut May 24, 2019

ShirayuHS, May 24, 2019 :
    depends on the types of clothes you wear I guess. I typically wear straight leg jeans with deeper pockets, so it has a bit of room. it's about the same thickness as an s10+ so I haven't had any issues with it so far. I have a slender build, and haven't had any problems

16. Riz157 Froyo May 24, 2019

Riz157, May 24, 2019 :
    I see sorry can't help there mate as I'm a big lad with big pockets.
    used to body build
    I'm not having issues myself.

17. recon0xe Donut May 24, 2019

recon0xe, May 24, 2019 :
    I dunno about the S10+ but I imagine it's better in almost every way apart from the screen.

I've come from a Note9 and sadly miss it. The AOD, wireless charging, miles better camera and actually the Samsung UI has so many features and feels more polished even if it is slower and sometimes lags when you don't need it too but I'm definitely going Note10 just hoping is has 90hz refresh.

7Pro just needs a couple fixes with the camera in my experience especially is ASUS can out it with similar spec and lower price and similar launch date.

bp328i likes this.
  18. Discostu Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2019

Discostu, May 24, 2019 :
    Why?

I work from my phone when I'm out shooting and on the run, I edit all of my photos and save them locally. When people need them or want to view them I have immediate access at all times

Z1558104614413 likes this.
  19. seiadoon Froyo May 25, 2019

seiadoon, May 25, 2019 :
    Thanks for the info.

20. Riz157 Froyo May 25, 2019

Riz157, May 25, 2019 :
    As I'm pretty new to Oneplus I've got couple of questions.
    do you lose warranty if you root?
    can you change the font?

I like to customize my phone and try custom ROMs where available.