Screen brightness decreases automatically even when auto brightness is off

1. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 9, 2020

PauloW , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I've set my brightness to fixed settings. The screen looks bright and sharp. But whenever I open a system or 3rd party app, brightness drops down automatically within a few seconds. When I return to home screen, brightness is up again.

So something is wrong with brightness settings in apps on the Nord. This issue was addressed in this topic but it was overtaken by the green/purple problem. Therefore this new topic.

Why does brightness decrease when auto brightness is off?

Swatiranjan likes this.
  2. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Aug 9, 2020

Swatiranjan , Aug 9, 2020 :

Hi Paulo,

1.First of all, check Settings-Display-Adaptive brightness switch. If it's off, please switch it on.

2. Please try to use the device in a different light condition or environment.

3. Open [Settings]-[Display] to check whether Reading mode or Night mode is enabled.

4. If the issue still persist try to clear cache, back up all the data and flash to the latest OS version.

5.If actions above are not helpful, please contact OnePlus after-sale support.

3. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 9, 2020

PauloW , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Hi Swatiranjan,

I've done (almost) every step that you suggested, but the problem is still here.

1. Adaptive brightness switch turned on. Tested in different rooms and lighting situations. With the switch turned on, the brightness is automatically pretty dim. About half as bright as manually set at 100%. This is way too dark for me, because I like my screen as bright as possible. But even at this automatic brightness (with adaptive switch on) the brightness drops after a few seconds when I'm in an app. So same behaviour. And in every lighting environment.

2. Different light condition or environment. Done it. See step 1.

3. Reading mode and Night mode are disabled.

4. I've cleared cache through the recovery menu. No change. The final step (flash to the latest OS version) I haven't done. I received my new Nord yesterday. Right from the beginning I saw this brightness issue. So I hadn't updated the phone yet. The system update message was already in my notification bar, but I just didn't do it immediately. After about an hour, when I was finished with other settings, I downloaded the latest system update for the Nord. I hoped this would solve the brightness issue, but it didn't. So I don't believe that flashing to the latest OS version can solve the issue. Therefore I didn't do that step.

I know of at least two other new Nord buyers who have the exact same problem, and there are probably more. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I don't use a dark theme, but a light theme, and that I set my screen brightness manually (with adaptive switch off) at about almost 100%?

Can you tell me what I can do? Cheers from The Netherlands.

4. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Aug 10, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 10, 2020 :
    Factory reset. If it doesn't help, contact cs. I'd have returned it. Btw, does it heat up, while decreasing brightness?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020

5. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 10, 2020

PauloW , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I'm not doing a factory reset or a return yet. In this topic many more people seem to have this issue, so I think it's a software issue. So I'll wait for the moment.

BTW: my Nord doesn't heat up while decreasing brightness.

6. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Aug 10, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 10, 2020 :
    As you wish, but you may never receive the software update for this issue or get it in 2/4/6 months, no eta... Besides, the thread you posted was originally meant to be for display problems in general, however this trickey guy @Varun Penumaka couldn't make up his mind to reduce risks and try avoiding awkward questions.

Tinting issues, black crush and else shit will never be fixed, remember my words. They're here for years, and yours may become just another new one. Display problems follow OnePlus as a shadow since OPO.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020

Swatiranjan likes this.
  7. tarunvats33
    Donut Aug 10, 2020

tarunvats33 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I am also facing this issue...

Brightness automatically increase and decreases with adaptive setting as off...when we swap between different applications...such as wats app, Facebook , dialer app, gmail ...

8. bajajaditya19
    Froyo Aug 10, 2020

bajajaditya19 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 10, 2020 :
    Nord BIG ISSUE
    In almost all google apps ,there is a problem.
    Firstly i will tell you my settings -
    1.) Adaptive brightness is off
    2.) Screen Calibration is set to VIVID which was default
    3.) 40-50% brightness
    4.) Sleep is set to 10 mins
    5.) Nothing changed in OnePlus laboratory like dimming feature and yes i cannot find it the laboratory in nord.

The problem is the display auto dims after 2-3 secs of inactivity and brightness up again after touching it. It's actually quite irritating.
    I actually cannot surf internet on google chrome due to this problem.

So i want to know that this problem is to every nord which can be fixed by software update or it's just me having the problem (Some display manufacturing defect might be,will go for replacement/return if any)

In almost every google app, i am having this problem.
    Google Chrome ,Gmail and Goole Drive TESTED, all are having this problems.
    Kindly reply.
    Thanks.