Screen cast on Chromecast

1. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 7, 2014

ultimusrex , Oct 7, 2014 :
    I am pretty sure you are both referring to the same thing. But what I found when I looked it up is that it requires root. How is that working perfectly? Working perfectly would be not having to jump through any hoops and root the phone in order to make a feature work... You can't just say "yeah, do this, it works perfectly," to people with unrooted phones if your phone is rooted, because they can't just do that and have it work perfectly.

2. slack2012
    Honeycomb Oct 7, 2014

slack2012 , Oct 7, 2014 :
    yess you need to be rooted to enable screen casting because script wont work if youre not rooted

3. reverenddak

reverenddak , Oct 7, 2014 :
    Works as advertised. There is a lot of confusion, but basically the Cast Screen feature works for some, but not for others. It worked out of the box, for me, but then stopped working. This little app got it working again, and it's pretty impressive to Cast my screen to my TV.

4. ultimusrex

ultimusrex , Oct 7, 2014 :
    It does not work for some. If you have to root the OPO and/or trick it, or otherwise modify it, in order to get "Cast screen" working, that is NOT working! That is a broken-*** feature that people have found workarounds for. I understand that they are supposedly (or hopefully) working on a fix, and I can wait if I have to, but people need to stop flooding this and related threads with "hey, it works perfectly", especially if your phone is rooted, as I see from your signature that yours is! Because even if it does for you, it obviously does not work for others. I have yet to see a single person reply to a "Cast screen" thread that it is working properly on their phone without root and without third party apps.

If I was desperate enough and unable to wait for a fix, then I would consider rooting my phone to get "Cast screen"/mirroring working, as I successfully rooted my previous phone and am very computer/technology savvy. But others are afraid to root, or they aren't comfortable enough with the technology to modify it so deeply, even if it is very simple with countless walk-throughs and tutorials available across the internet. So to keep banging the drum of "this feature works perfectly, all you have to do is root the phone" is just asinine and thoughtless.

To make a few things perfectly clear... For UNROOTED OnePlus One phones, "Cast screen"/mirroring via Chromecast DOES NOT WORK! (If it does for you, please tell us what build of CM11S you are running. Also, this might be different for currently unrooted but previously rooted phones)... Screencast is not the same thing as "Cast screen" or screen mirroring... The Chromecast feature/button inside of certain apps, like Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, etc., is also not the same thing as "Cast screen" or screen mirroring.

I have not actually tested any of the third-party apps that people have suggested in this thread, but just by looking at them in the Play Store, I can tell that at least a couple of them are designed for DLNA and UPNP applications, and I doubt that I'd be able to cast anything and everything to effectively mirror my OPO screen with them. I'm not positive how the Chromecast mirroring works either though, so maybe these do accomplish essentially the same thing... But the fact remains that a feature of our phone does not work, regardless of whether the feature can be replaced or worked around, the feature should work. It's in the damn settings menu, FFS. I will reiterate AGAIN, that I am willing to wait for the feature to be fixed, that's something that comes with buying a phone with an ever changing and updating Cyanogenmod version of the OS. What I can't put up with is everyone telling me and the other unrooted OPO & Chromecast users (current or potential) that this feature is working flawlessly, because IT IS NOT!

The OP does not yet own an OPO and is asking whether this feature that is supposed to be part of the phone is working, and to tell them that it does is just deceitful, since they may not be expecting that they would have to root their phone in order use a basic feature.

@reverenddak, what is "This little app" that got it working again for you?... though since you're rooted, I am sure it won't work for us unrooted users. And yes, apparently it does (or did) work out of the box, until you apply the first OTA update, then it's broken, as you reportedly experienced.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

viethoc likes this.
  5. addam
    KitKat Oct 7, 2014

addam , Oct 7, 2014 :
    quit playing with chromecast and buy a cheap rikomagic, or tronsmart hdmi dongle that running 4.2 or higher.

6. Innomi
    Honeycomb Oct 7, 2014

Innomi , Oct 7, 2014 :
    Of course I can say it works perfectly If you install and app an root the fone.
    Since it does work perfectly then!
    If I would say it works like crap than I would lie.
    I didn't say it worked right out of the box.
    I said to Google the how to or read xda how it works.
    Yeah you need to root your opo.
    But that isn't the fault of opo. It is the fault of chromecast and their support.
    Just use Google for the full explanation of the bad support.

In short
    If you want perfect Screencast?
    Root your opo and install the app (see the how to on xda opo forum) and enjoy mirroring/casting opo to your chromecast :)

7. AndrewA
    Donut Oct 7, 2014

AndrewA , Oct 7, 2014 :
    I have had no problems screen casting to my miracast adapter with stock everything. I modified nothing.

8. TheRad1
    Honeycomb Oct 7, 2014

9. reverenddak

reverenddak , Oct 7, 2014 :
    I'm not sure if I should bother answering your question, since you're obviously not paying attention or too bent out of shape to consider that a workaround that works, works. But it did work, period. My OPO build was 33R out of the box (I never applied an OTA upgrade). And it worked, but stopped. I have no clue if it was because rooted it. But the app, which was shared in the 3rd reply to the OP (original post), fixed it. I have no clue if I need root for the app to work. I don't care, because I went root so I could do things like install a hack. But if you're not willing to root (and hack, tweak, or experiment with) your device, then that's your problem. You easily could of paid double for a locked down device instead, and have the same problem (and then what? Probably whine for a fix.)

What I can't stand are whiners that whine when things aren't perfect from the get-go, as if they're entitled to it and the rest of the world revolves around them and can predict their every desire. I blame Steve Jobs for that mentality.

10. ttirkel
    Donut Oct 7, 2014

ttirkel , Oct 7, 2014 :
    what's clearer/smoother/most fluid video quality, chromecast mirror or miracast dongle? For (1) playing local video files and (2) playing streaming movies like from Showbox

11. ttirkel
    Donut Oct 7, 2014

ttirkel , Oct 7, 2014 :
    how is the video quality streaming showbox ? Fluid? HD? Choppy? Can we use MX video player to stream chromecast to tv? What about local video files? same questions on quality/mxplayer

12. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 8, 2014

ultimusrex , Oct 8, 2014 :
    The issue I'm taking with what you said is that you didn't mention that your phone is rooted. You just said it works perfectly, which is confusing to some people who are trying to figure out how to get this feature working. Granted, it was a short Google search away for me to find the method you mentioned and realize that it only worked with rooted phones.

I'm also not trying to heap any blame for this feature not working onto OPO or Cyanogen. Honestly, I do not NEED screen mirroring for anything right now. It would be nice to have, but I don't have any problem waiting for a fix. In the meantime, I am more than happy with the Chromecast features built into certain apps. But a few weeks ago, is when I remembered that there was supposed to be some sort of screen-mirroring feature to the phone, so I searched the forums and found other threads where people were trying to figure out if the feature existed and how to make it work, but a significant chunk of the replies were people just stating, "It works", much like has happened in this thread. I spent a good couple of days really frustrated that I couldn't get it to work and was really confused as to why some people had zero luck with it and others seemed to have no issue what-so-ever... I dug and I dug and finally discovered that those people who said "it works", with no extra information in their posts (though, yes, yours in particular did at least give a direction in which to look) had rooted phones!

So when I saw something similar happening in this thread, my immediate thought was, "No! Stop telling people it works!" (especially to someone like in the OP who does not yet own a OnePlus One and is considering spending $350, expecting to have a working feature, we shouldn't assume they are planning to root their OPO)... You are correct. You can certainly tell people it works perfectly. But I wish you would say that it works perfectly for you because your phone is rooted with a fix applied, to reduce the confusion... Again, your post in particular was more helpful than aggravating, but I still got frustrated when there was no mention of rooting.

I am paying close attention, but you just mentioned an app, of which several have been mentioned in this thread (though, I guess I didn't realize that YOU actually mentioned the app specifically earlier in the thread, my apologies).... Of course a workaround works. But other people who are trying to figure out this feature or considering buying the phone may not want to root their device... Though if you didn't know that rooting is what allowed it to work, then I can't fault you for that.

I don't know that it's my problem if I don't want to root the device but expect a feature to work that is in the unrooted phone but non-functioning. That being said, I also do NOT expect everything to be perfect all the time with CM11S and the OPO, I knew exactly what I was getting into when I bought the phone with the OS that used to be just a custom ROM that rarely worked perfectly before the OPO. I am attempting to do a service for other people who were like me a few weeks ago and very confused as to why so many people say this feature works when I and many others can't get it to do anything. But people keep saying, "It works," "It works!", when actually there is a very big caveat to getting it to work (assuming the device has been updated).

By no means do I expect everything to be perfect from the get-go and I do not feel entitled to anything, though I do usually expect an included feature in a phone to work, though again, I realize this is CM and always in development, so some things will inevitably get broken.

As for rooting. I am not completely unwilling to root my phone. I've been going back and forth on possibly rooting my OPO to gain some extra abilities and tweaks. I rooted my previous phone, a Moto Triumph, and installed CM9 on it, because the stock OS was never going to be updated and had a horrible bug where it would eat up empty storage space... CM11S installed as the stock OS is the #1 reason why I wanted a OnePlus One, the #2 reason being the price. So, since the phone already has CM on it, I have not had a huge desire to root it... There have been a few things that have come up that would be made easier or possible if I were rooted, but so far they haven't been important enough to push me over the edge. So far, all (or most) the tweaking I've wanted to do can be accomplished without rooting the device, which is why I love CM11S so much. If the screen mirroring feature reveals itself to be unfixable via a future update, then I will most likely root my phone. But like I said, it's not so important to me that I cannot wait a little while.

I apologize if I came off as accusatory or sounded entitled. I was just getting frustrated with so many people saying that it works without explaining why it works in their case. Also, @reverenddak, I know I quoted your post, but my entire (ranting) post was not necessarily aimed exclusively at you, it was for all of the "it works" posts. Sorry if you felt attacked.

13. redi2roc
    Froyo Oct 8, 2014

redi2roc , Oct 8, 2014 :
    I can Also concur with this statement I use it everyday so I confirm it does work :) enjoy

14. reverenddak

reverenddak , Oct 8, 2014 :
    FYI, @ultimusrex , and others: 38R seems to have fixed the ability to Cast Screen to Chromecast. Because I had to revert back to an un-rooted state, uninstall the Mirror Enabler App (and other Root-based apps) to do the update. After successfully installing the update, Cast Screen showed up on the Quick Settings menu, and my Chromecast shows up under Display & Lights > Cast Screen.

ultimusrex likes this.
  15. ultimusrex

ultimusrex , Oct 8, 2014 :
    Oh boy! I can't wait to get the update and test it out.

16. ttirkel
    Donut Oct 9, 2014

ttirkel , Oct 9, 2014 :
    would you say video quality, like playing movies both locally and streaming (showbox, etc), are about equal for chromecast vs miracast?

17. rsharpe
    Eclair Oct 10, 2014

rsharpe , Oct 10, 2014 :
    Not sure this is true. I have an unrooted phone and have updated to 38R and all that shows in Display & Lights > Cast Screen is "No nearby devices were found" ...

ultimusrex likes this.
  18. reverenddak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 10, 2014

reverenddak , Oct 10, 2014 :
    Just checked mine, it's still there. Now, it's possible that whatever settings the Mirror Enabler changed that enabled it when I was in 33R may have remained. But I did delete that app (because it needed root, and root-enabled apps were causing my update problems) and I did a wipe and re-installation of the system partition, so I don't think the Mirror Enabler's fixes should have remained. But I could be wrong. All I know is that it now works, and I didn't have to do anything.

Early reports say the update of the Google Play Services is what broke it in the first place (I cannot confirm) but there is a new update to Google Play, so one can try that.

Anyway, to simplify my case. It used to work. Then it stopped. I could only get it to work again when I installed the Mirror Enabler app. I deleted that app. Updated to 38R. And it's still working.

19. rsharpe
    Eclair Oct 11, 2014

rsharpe , Oct 11, 2014 :
    I've actually had to do the very opposite of you in that, I had never rooted my phone before but have had to in order to get access to the Cast Screen option even after my upgrade to 38R. I'm not a power user and in all other cases, a non-rooted device suits me just fine but needs must and I really wanted to be able to cast my screen.

20. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2014

ultimusrex , Oct 15, 2014 :
    I finally received the 38R OTA yesterday and was able to test this last night. The update had no effect on the "Cast screen" feature, it still does not work. @reverenddak, it definitely seems that whatever settings/files/etc. get changed in rooting (and gaining the mirroring feature), do not get restored in the unrooting process. Both you and @BrettPlusOne claim the feature functions correctly on your unrooted OPOs which were previously rooted at some point. The wait continues... Someone's gotta fix it eventually, right?... *Le Sigh*

TeamValor91 likes this.