Screen cast on Chromecast

1. Raikon_N
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2014

Raikon_N , Oct 15, 2014 :
    I stumbled upon this thread and got curious. My new OPO is rooted so I tried the MirrorEnabler app and got it working on my Chromecast. Before this, my Cast Screen settings cannot find my Chromecast. So it definitely needs the MirrorEnabler app(which requires root).

ultimusrex likes this.
  2. ttirkel
    Donut Oct 15, 2014

ttirkel , Oct 15, 2014 :
    i rooted. mirror enabler. cast screen now detecting chromecast. mirroring is INSANELY choppy/laggy. Some on this forum swear they stream in 480 & 720 in perfect HD no -laq quality. What is going on here? Why is it so so so dang laggy?

3. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2014

ultimusrex , Oct 15, 2014 :
    My guess is that it is your wireless connection... It could be the distance between your OPO and the router, and/or the distance between your Chromecast and the router, and/or a hardware or software malfunction in your router, and/or interference from other wireless devices or large appliances between your devices and the router, and/or compromised (tightly bent or pinched, or otherwise degraded) ethernet cables anywhere in your home network.

Other than that, I don't know. I can't compare mirroring performance yet. As I don't feel like rooting just for this.

4. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2014

ultimusrex , Oct 15, 2014 :

5. remagi
    Froyo Oct 15, 2014

remagi , Oct 15, 2014 :
    Hi have an HTC one m7 with cyanogenmod ROM and I can cast the entire screen to my chromecast.

robertfan likes this.
  6. ttirkel
    Donut Oct 16, 2014

ttirkel , Oct 16, 2014 :
    Just a single laptop connected. Router is right next to the chromecast and phone is few feet from both. What would cable have to do with it? It's going through the router, has nothing to do with how fast your internet connection is, unless you're streaming online. Mirroring local files is choppy/laggy as is just navigating the phone.

7. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 16, 2014

ultimusrex , Oct 16, 2014 :
    You don't have as sprawling a home network as I have. There are lots of ways that a cable could be involved, but not in your situation. It was just one more possibility that needed to be listed without knowing the details of your home network setup.

8. 1Puteri
    Cupcake Oct 24, 2014

1Puteri , Oct 24, 2014 :
    Screen cast to Chromecast for android is still in beta and only some devices are supported at the moment. Eventually, all android devices running 4.4.2 and above will be able to enjoy this feature.

FYI, the screen cast feature works perfectly on Roku 3! :D

ultimusrex likes this.
  9. viethoc
    Gingerbread Oct 25, 2014

viethoc , Oct 25, 2014 :
    @ultimusrex. Thank you for your firm conviction in search of a solution for those of us who don't want to root our OPO (not that we don't know how). Please share your solution whenever it is. Thank you.

10. kuri7650
    Gingerbread Oct 25, 2014

viethoc likes this.
  11. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 25, 2014

ultimusrex , Oct 25, 2014 :
    I'm not so much searching for a solution as I am trying to make it clear to other users/readers that, despite all the vague unhelpful "it works perfectly" posts, it by no means works in any way, without rooting.

I have no problem waiting for the feature to be fixed. However, if it is not actually supported, it would be nice if they would just take the non-functioning option out of the device settings until it is supported. Though I guess then, it wouldn't be so easy to use the feature on rooted devices, but then again, I believe the feature can also be activated through the Chromecast app.

viethoc likes this.
  12. viethoc
    Gingerbread Oct 25, 2014

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

kuri7650 likes this.
  13. viethoc
    Gingerbread Oct 25, 2014

viethoc , Oct 25, 2014 :
    Without relying on WiFi, I have used two smartphones (one for casting, one for hotspot) to use with my Chromecast. Can I use just one smartphone, my OPO, with its hotspot setup to connect to the Chromecast? I don't think it will work that way, is that correct? Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

14. mackaveli
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 26, 2014

ultimusrex likes this.
  15. ultimusrex

ultimusrex , Oct 26, 2014 :
    I don't understand your setup or what you want to do. First of all, the definition of a hotspot is WiFi. Using a phone as a hot spot just essentially converts its WiFi radio and network interface hardware from a client device to a router, using the phone's cell data service for the Internet, instead of a cable or DSL connection. But then when you connect to that phone's "hotspot", you're connecting to a WiFi network... But then how are you connecting to the Chromecast? Is the Chromecast also connected to the same hotspot?... Currently you definitely cannot do Chromecast screen mirroring with only the OPO, mirroring does not work on the OPO (unless you root it, of course). If you just want to connect the Chromecast to the OPO's shared hotspot and cast Netflix or any other Chromecast-enabled app from the OPO while it is acting as a hotspot, I honestly don't know. But you should be able to test that on the device you currently use as a hotspot. If Netflix, Pandora, or whatever other Chromecast works, then I imagine the same would work on the OPO, as well as mirroring if you root it and make the required modifications.

16. mackaveli

17. smort058
    Donut Oct 26, 2014

smort058 , Oct 26, 2014 :
    Does anyone know how to change the resolution? A 2 minute screencast is over a gig...

18. viethoc
    Gingerbread Oct 26, 2014

viethoc , Oct 26, 2014 :
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear on previous post. I have used one OPO to cast Hulu+, Netflix, etc... with another smartphone (non-OPO) to use as a hot spot instead of a regular router WiFi. My Chromecast connected to this hotspot WiFi. Essentially, I used three devices: Chromecast, OPO and another smartphone. My question is can I use only two devices: Chromecast and OPO to do the same with OPO's own hotspot without relying another hotspot or regular router WiFi. I don't think I can but I just want to confirm with you. Thank you.

19. ultimusrex

ultimusrex , Oct 26, 2014 :
    I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up... I don't use the hotspot feature of the OPO because I'm with T-Mobile, and I'm pretty sure that tethering/hotspot costs extra... However, if you have an OPO, I don't understand why you don't just try doing what you want to. Start the hotspot on your OPO, connect the Chromecast to it, then try connecting to the Chromecast with Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, or whatever.

It makes sense to me that this would work. But I don't know the ins and outs of the hotspot protocols.

20. viethoc
    Gingerbread Oct 27, 2014

viethoc , Oct 27, 2014 :
    Thank you for your response. I actually use T-Mobile with unlimited data plan. I have tried with my OPO with its hotspot but it didn't work. I just want someone to confirm that. Or my setup was incorrect. Thank you.

ultimusrex likes this.