Screen concern

1. TxTech27
    Honeycomb Apr 30, 2014

TxTech27 , Apr 30, 2014 :
    Hi all,

I'm currently debating between this phone and the Nexus 5. I know both phones are great, similar specs, etc. my main concern though is the screen size. And it has more to do when the phone is not in use. I wear a suit most days and I definitely can notice that my iPhone is in my pocket due to the thinness of the pants and at times the outline of the phone is even visible. Now this doesn't bother me but I'm concerned going to a phone this big might. Any current phablet owners have any insight into how phones this size feel in the pocket (front) and of the added bulk is any annoyance to you?

2. Elisha Siegelman
    Cupcake Apr 30, 2014

Elisha Siegelman , Apr 30, 2014 :
    Well, none of us have gotten it yet, so...

3. theslimshadyist
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2014

theslimshadyist , Apr 30, 2014 :
    I have the same use case as you, in suits everyday and on planes. I do own the N5 and it fits perfectly in my suit's inner pocket but I haven't owned a phablet to test it out and would be curious to see what others have to say. Regardless, I'm still going to get the OPO just because I am a gadget freak! lol

TxTech27 likes this.
  4. JoeMaring
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 30, 2014

JoeMaring , Apr 30, 2014 :
    From what we've seen so far in hands-on videos, it looks quite similar in size to that of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I reviewed the Note 3 on my YouTube channel, and it was surprisingly pocketable for a 5.7-inch phablet. The OPO isn't the smallest phone out there in terms of dimensions, but it shouldn't be too cumbersome either.

TxTech27 likes this.
  5. Tom Gray
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2014

Tom Gray , Apr 30, 2014 :
    I have a note 3 which is roughly the same size of the Opo. If I'm wearing jeans or a suit, I constantly feel it pressed against my leg. However, I almost always have cargo pants on, which makes it nice to have.

If you're worried about size, this might not be the phone for you, as it's pretty much a phablet. I think phones stop being phones at the 5" mark.

JoeMaring and TxTech27 like this.
  6. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Apr 30, 2014

ChrisTerp , Apr 30, 2014 :
    I wear suits too and the phone size of OnePlus One doesn't bother me as suit pants generally looser fit; now when I wear jeans - that is when it may get tricky. Looks like we have a conundrum with our attire now. I will fight that battle when I get the OnePlus One in my hand, and pockets.

TxTech27 likes this.
  7. TxTech27
    Honeycomb Apr 30, 2014

That's why I asked about phablets in general...

8. chrisc91(1+1)
    Gingerbread Apr 30, 2014

chrisc91(1+1) , Apr 30, 2014 :
    I've had a Note 3, and I believe the OPO should be similar in size (maybe slightly taller). I've always put my phones in the breast pocket of my jacket and had no problem.

9. TxTech27
    Honeycomb Apr 30, 2014

i never think to use that pocket, maybe I should start. Definitely a seasonal option for me as when it's summer in Texas the jacket rarely gets used.

Simonbarsinistr likes this.
  10. Elisha Siegelman
    Cupcake Apr 30, 2014

Elisha Siegelman , Apr 30, 2014 :
    Sorry..well, I know that the note three fits ok in my pocket, and since the One is thinner, I think it'll feel better.

11. theslimshadyist
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2014

I agree that the 5" mark is the sweet spot, at least for me. I also have a Moto X and even though it's 4.7" it seems a lot smaller than my N5. I also have an iPhone 5s, which I rarely use because I feel like I'm having to squint at the dang screen after using my N5.

12. Tom Gray
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2014

Tom Gray , Apr 30, 2014 :
    yes. I too have a Moto X, Just sold my Nexus 5 and Note 3. I love my note 3, tried going to my moto X and simply can't do it. However, I often miss active display.

13. chrisc91(1+1)
    Gingerbread Apr 30, 2014

chrisc91(1+1) , Apr 30, 2014 :
    Oh I understand completely. I graduated from baylor last year so I know exactly what you mean. Lol

14. theslimshadyist
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2014

I know exactly what you mean! I can't let go of my Moto X because of active display and all of the other intuitive features that are baked into the software. The battery life is the BEST I've experienced from any device I have owned. And believe me, I have owned a boat load of them! :)

Tom Gray likes this.
  15. GetMe1
    Froyo Apr 30, 2014

GetMe1 , Apr 30, 2014 :
    I have the note 2 and it's screen size 5.5 is perfect, although I don't mind a little bigger. 1+1 doesn't have similar specs as Nexus 5, it blew away Nexus 5 in every catergory.

16. dmo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 30, 2014

dmo , Apr 30, 2014 :
    As someone who is not a fan of large phones, I played with the OnePlus One today @ the CyanogenMod event, and honestly, I didn't worry one bit about the size. The black front really helps give it a small footprint feel. On the other hand, Galaxy Notes (white ones especially) tend to feel overly large.

To me, 5.5" is a bit too big for me in general, but given how gorgeous the screen is I didn't worry one bit today. The ergonomics were also fantastic.

17. TxTech27
    Honeycomb Apr 30, 2014

Yeah you got it, the struggle is real.