Screen draining the battery on 9 pro via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. Q1516004612438 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 16, 2021 :
    Hello, I've recently gotten the 9 pro, all recent updates installed, however, I've noticed the battery life is below average, I've set the resolution to FHD+ and 120hz and brightness at 60%.

With these settings, and very mild using including browsing social media only, I'm getting 3.5 SOT, mind you this is without any gaming and barely any video streaming or any sort of editing.

When I check the battery usage, the screen consumed more than 45%.

Is this normal behavior for the phone ? Or is there anything I can do to improve it ??

2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jun 16, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Jun 16, 2021 :
    Many factors that could matter. Yesterday was 7h for me. Mostly on the Community, some browsing and little bit social media. QHD+ and Smart 120 Hz.
    How many days have you had it? Ever charge to 100% or let it rest unused on the charger? This could affect the phone capabilities in finishing some maintenance work that would optimize the device further. Regular usage does over time optimize further too.

Caomhin and Liehjan like this.
  3. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Jun 16, 2021

Liehjan , Jun 16, 2021 :
    If the screen is consuming that much could be an indication of LTPO not working as designed... To be sure I would have service center to take a look at your device.

Caomhin likes this.
  4. Q1516004612438 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 16, 2021 :
    I've had the device for a couple of days now, there's no rogue app draining the battery form what I could notice, the device performa very well with no heating issues at all. Only issue I have is the screen eating up too much battery on very light browsing consumption.

I charge it to 100 percent to see what I end the day with, and so far it's the screen with other 40-50%.

5. Swejuggalo

I use auto brightness and dark mode.
    Today I had a Zoom video meeting for something around 1.5h in very bright light with screen at max brightness.

1623852032523.jpg

1623852067861.jpg
    What device did you have before? Similar screen size? A chin and forhead, resolution/pixels and screen brightness capability and so on... Screen will always be a rather big drainer. Light usage would practically make it more obvious since the CPU or GPU would use less.

Caomhin likes this.
  6. Q1516004612438 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 16, 2021 :
    1623856050002.jpg
    My usage today has only been browsing Instagram, reddit and these forums, screen brightness set to 60% FHD+ 120hz. SOT so far is 2 hours. I had the OP 5T and I abused that phone with games and battery didn't drain like this.

7. Swejuggalo

Have no experience of 5T.
    https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/OnePlus-5T,OnePlus-9-Pro/phones/10695,11556

Plenty of things that can explain that the screen is a bigger part of the drain than 5T. Hard to know the actual difference though just by looking at the specs

Caomhin likes this.
  8. Q1516004612438 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 16, 2021 :
    This is really frustrating, some users are reporting 7+ hours of SOT on their 9 pro with everything maxed out and here I am at 15% battery with barely 3 hours SOT with minimal usage and pretty much everything toned down. Could it be a due to firmware ?

9. Swejuggalo

Could be many factors that play a part. Some have high idle drain and heat. Some do not. Some have a rather obvious issue. Some have a much more complex issue.
    Even at Smart 120 Hz and going down in Hz the screen still shines and consumes a a major part of the battery. In many scenarios the screen might drain more per inch under the same nits level than the 5T screen due to the dpi and over all higher Hz in many user cases. But that is just speciation form my side. I don't really know how those 2 screens can compare.
    My SoT range from everything from 5-6 to 11h+ depending on usage and location. Always worse SoT when I'm at work due to the networks (mobile and WiFi kind of sucks there) and different usage.

You could always make a power consumption bug report via the feedback tool.

View attachment 1619161

10. Q1516004612438 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 16, 2021 :
    Thank you for the reply, this is my 3rd day with the device, again maximum I could get is 3.5 hours of SOT, incredibly disappointing as you can imagine, I have no problems at all with performance or heating, and no battery drain at idle either. Only issue is the screen battery drain.

I've read that a few users changes the firmware version from DA ( indian version, the one I have ) to BA or AA and have noticed better SOT. Should I consider that option knowing that I am on latest software ??

11. Swejuggalo

Personally I'd stick with what is intended for my region to avoid possible issues with firmware and modem differences that may or may not come at some point.
    India firmware contains some extra stuff. The online storage for example. But you could still use India firmware and ditch the extra components via adb uninstall method.
    But this does not explain a possibly abnormal high screen drain since those components would instead trigger more app/system drain. While not impossible a glitch entered Indian firmware breaking Smart 120 Hz I'm not so sure that is the case here.

Also if you already are on the latest firmware it means you must rollback and get a full wipe of the device to be able to crossflash.

12. malidan
    Nougat Jun 16, 2021

malidan , Jun 16, 2021 :
    Why are you showing graphs without stats, this is totally worthless.

13. malidan
    Nougat Jun 16, 2021

malidan , Jun 16, 2021 :
    Bro comparing your graph to your stats I would say your device is not reporting properly, unless you missed some off they are saying you used 50% over 18 hrs on phone calls and standby.

14. malidan
    Nougat Jun 16, 2021

malidan , Jun 16, 2021 :
    Bro are running exclusively on data of is it a mix with WiFi? Personally I would set the device to 60Hz and run a full cycle to see the returns, report back here with stats and graphs, if it's an isuue with the device then you should come back with poor stats for that cycle.

15. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jun 17, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Jun 17, 2021 :
    Point here was just to show that the screen is my main drain and similar to the user.
    What stats did you have in mind? My SoT?
    Show the SoT without a very detailed description of how I used every single app, deep sleep ratio and so on... It would leave some gaps of information too.

17. malidan
    Nougat Jun 17, 2021

malidan , Jun 17, 2021 :
    All I could see is a graph going down as any graph on any phone would do, without full app stats the graph is useless as you can not tell what is happening.

18. malidan
    Nougat Jun 17, 2021

malidan , Jun 17, 2021 :
    The reason for asking is because as I said you devices does not seem to be reporting app usage properly.
    Your stats were at 50%, these are mine at 57% on 5G @90hz there is way more usage information.
    Screenshot_20210617_104055_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg

Screenshot_20210617_105253_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg

No Google P40 Pro

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021