Screen locking when flip case is open?

1. wernerc35
    Cupcake Oct 11, 2014

wernerc35 , Oct 11, 2014 :
    Hey guys,

I've had my OnePlus One for about a week or two now. I bought the flip case accessory as well. I noticed when my phone was in the case, it would randomly lock when I was using it. I'd be unable to unlock it and the screen would keep randomly blacking out. This would fix itself 30-60 seconds later. After some testing, I realized that it's only happening when it's in the flip case while I'm using it. My guess is the magnet in the case is causing the phone to think the cover is closed when the cover is open and along the back of the phone.

Anyone experiencing these problems? Anyone have any fixes/ideas?

fbnpirates likes this.
  2. tottianovic
    Donut Oct 11, 2014

3. DRCH
    Marshmallow Oct 11, 2014

DRCH , Oct 11, 2014 :
    Shouldnt have anything to do with the case :/
    There is only one magnet, which controls the on off screen
    So i See no connection to it :/

4. wernerc35
    Cupcake Oct 11, 2014

wernerc35 , Oct 11, 2014 :
    The phone acts like the cover is closed occasionally when the cover is open. The magnet appears to be tripping the sensor when the case is folded against the back of the phone. This ONLY occurs with the flip case on. The "on off screen" magnet you are referring to appears to be triggering with the case open.

I've tested this extensively since I received my phone.

Why do you think it has no connection?

5. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Oct 12, 2014

gusuraman , Oct 12, 2014 :
    The only thing i can guess is that the phone senses the magnet even when on the back.

6. wernerc35
    Cupcake Oct 12, 2014

wernerc35 , Oct 12, 2014 :
    That's my guess as well. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've ordered a different phone case from another manufacturer that I plan on replacing the flip cover with, but I'm disappointed this is happening.

7. tweazle
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2014

tweazle , Oct 12, 2014 :
    I have a similar issue which is 100% caused by the cover being fully opened and the magnet then activates the switch. My case is a Sleep/Wake featured case but is not the OnePlus branded case.

There is a magnet located inside the material of the front flip cover that activates a magnetic switch inside the phone. You can see this by using a paperclip on the front cover you'll find the magnetic spot 2/3 down the edge of the cover flap.

So the best way to prevent it is knowing about the problem and being careful how you hold the case cover when fully open. You'll need to prevent it from fully folding open and touching the backside using a finger to prop it open slightly. With mine 4mm or so, but this will depend on the magnet's strength.

8. wernerc35
    Cupcake Oct 12, 2014

wernerc35 , Oct 12, 2014 :
    Good to know I'm not an outlier. Looks like I'll be replacing the case permanently when my Diztronic one gets here.

9. tweazle
    Gingerbread Oct 13, 2014

tweazle , Oct 13, 2014 :
    So yes, the magnet can cause what you describe that but that is only on some cases. It really is going to depend on the strength of the magnet and how close the cover comes into contact with the back of the phone. One of the cases I own is a Mofi flip cover which also has the sleep wake feature built in. It does not go to sleep when opened all the way laying flat against the back of the phone. That case if also fairly skinny. It is a nice quality case and I would recommend it for the $6 on eBay.

My flip case that this happens on is different from the Mofi I described above. It did not originally have a magnet so I found one and glued it on as an experiment. It is huge at 1/8" thick and very strong. So I bought some super thin 1/32" (weaker) magnets off eBay that I expect will solve that issue.

Once I had the luxury of auto-wake I was spoiled and won't go back. I don't even use a lock screen as it not really needed when using a flip. When I flip my cover open I am exactly where I left off.

10. Glufamichel
    Donut Jan 23, 2015

Glufamichel , Jan 23, 2015 :
    Hey guys, i know this thread is pretty old but I fixed that problem.

I have a original OP Flip cover and it was also constantly locking when the flip cover was completely backwards. I used a simple trick: aluminium foil.
    Put some folded aluminium foil in the bottom right corner of the case and then put your OPO in as always. It will prevent the magnet from triggering the sensor on the front.

11. gjegadeesh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 23, 2015

gjegadeesh , Jan 23, 2015 :
    OPO Flip cover is not coming with magnet.

12. 4nlimited3dition
    Jelly Bean Jan 23, 2015

4nlimited3dition , Jan 23, 2015 :
    I have that same problem with my Nexus 7 case for which I added a magnet.
    It is likely that indeed it does that when you put the magnet too close to the sensor.

13. rajesh soni
    Cupcake Jan 23, 2015

rajesh soni , Jan 23, 2015 :
    Good optoon

14. moaliriz77
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2015

moaliriz77 , Jan 26, 2015 :
    It's been happening to me too. Will now try phone without flip cover to see if that helps.

15. joentje64
    Cupcake Feb 8, 2015

16. idbl_fanatic1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 25, 2015

wobdot likes this.
  17. idbl_fanatic1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 26, 2015

18. nemilio
    Cupcake Apr 1, 2015

nemilio , Apr 1, 2015 :
    Hi,

Anyone solved this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem...

19. Kentherocket
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2015

Kentherocket , Apr 17, 2015 :
    Same here i have a blue case my girlfriend has an orange one so my guess is which ones do u guys have.

20. djkiss
    Eclair Apr 17, 2015

djkiss , Apr 17, 2015 :
    I have the same issue with the OPO flip case but all I do is open the case fully (instead of folding it to the back) and the screen works again and all is well. It is just the sensor but I like having a great looking case such as OPO's on the phone.

I have a black one and an orange one.