Screen overlay detected CM 13

1. hamzie
    Eclair Feb 27, 2016

hamzie , Feb 27, 2016 :
    Anyone getting this problem
    If i try to access my gallery from an app like whatsapp, it tells me to change permissions for it.
    When I try to give it permission it says screen overlay detected.. and i need to turn it off :/
    but its just facebook messengers chat head which is the overlay :/
    why would i need to disable that to access gallery from whatsapp
    seems rather silly

2. anshulchobey
    Cupcake Apr 13, 2016

anshulchobey , Apr 13, 2016 :
    i have the same issue after the marshmallow update. I had to reset the phone since none of the apps worked because of overlay issue.
    it is still not solved although some apps are working ok now.

3. rekzone
    Cupcake May 2, 2016

rekzone , May 2, 2016 :
    Had the same issue as well and was able to solved it by turning off my screen filter app (e.g. Bluelight Filter app). Then I changed the permission from the app's "app info" (e.g. Whatsapp app info) and there you go, no more annoying messages to ask you to turn off screen relay while trying to change the permission. Hope that helps you.

4. 8481939
    Cupcake May 2, 2016

8481939 , May 2, 2016 :
    Was looking for this so badly! Thanks! This helped me aswell.

elicia likes this.
  5. willsyb
    Cupcake May 3, 2016

willsyb , May 3, 2016 :
    Absolute hero! Thank you

6. Apexa Sharma
    Cupcake May 6, 2016

Apexa Sharma , May 6, 2016 :
    Hi I cant find the any filter app to turn off on my settings... Help!!!!

7. Apexa Sharma
    Cupcake May 6, 2016

Apexa Sharma , May 6, 2016 :
    The only screen filter i found was on the main drop down option that puts the phone in nite, outdoor, automatic modes that changes brightness n colour n its already off on my phone... I cnt seem to change permissions coz of this damn notification or open any media file. Please help!

8. rekzone
    Cupcake May 26, 2016

rekzone , May 26, 2016 :
    Are you using the stock launcher (e.g. Trebuchet)?

Try installing an external screen filter and repeat what I did. If that doesn't help, send me a screenshot of how does your layout looks like.

9. ewaagensen
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2016

ewaagensen , Jun 7, 2016 :
    So unbelievably frustrated right now.
    I don't use any screen/light filters, I haven't added any recent apps, I just updated the system.
    I keep getting sent around that horrible Settings loop where nothing works.
    I have switched off all screen overlays, on, and single apps, and rebooted the phone I all cases. NOTHING is working.
    I am desperate to get this phone back to working order.
    Any other great suggestions, apart from buying a different phone ?

10. U.K
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2016

U.K , Jun 8, 2016 :
    Same problem here OnePlus Two...

11. G_Radzi_Aziz_lygU
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2016

G_Radzi_Aziz_lygU , Jun 8, 2016 :
    That's a marshmallow thing to sorts of improve security. In my case i have to switch off gravity screen & drupe. Others report apps that change brightness such as lux and twilight also cause this problem.
    So if you have any of these apps (including fb messenger) or any apps that you think may behave similar (can appear in front of other running app) try to disable "permit to draw over other app" in settings.

12. koushik chowdary
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2016

koushik chowdary , Jun 8, 2016 :
    If u have ambient display option in display settings then turn it off
    >go to safe mode in andriod
    >by pressing power button and tap on power option
    >u will go to safe mode
    >u can change app permission only in safe mode, u can't change in ordinary mode....

Attached Files:

13. vahid183
    Gingerbread Jun 8, 2016

vahid183 , Jun 8, 2016 :
    Just updated like an hour ago, if i only had read the forum first :(
    Thats where(settings>apps>Whatsapp>permissions) i get the ''screen overlay detected'' screen and when i tap on ''open settings'' i go to screen called ''Draw over other apps'' here I turned everything off with no effect. I also tried clearing app preference(suggested on an other thread but cant find a link right now) with no effect.

And all i wanted to do was to send pic over whatsapp. Tried with Google hangouts no problems so far.

14. vahid183
    Gingerbread Jun 8, 2016

vahid183 , Jun 8, 2016 :
    I spoke to soon now google hangouts also not working. same as system messenger :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

15. Chandanp86
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2016

Chandanp86 , Jun 8, 2016 :
    Uninstall any battery saving app like Clean Master etc. It will work after that. You will be able to change app permissions after that.

K m Bhatt, fedepia, suijin and 10 others like this.
  16. kooweikian30
    Cupcake Jun 9, 2016

kooweikian30 , Jun 9, 2016 :
    Thanks! It works on my new Oneplus 2 OS now.

17. MithunM
    Cupcake Jun 9, 2016

MithunM , Jun 9, 2016 :
    Thanks for your prompt and effective post, it really worked. the clean master,CM security, battery doctor apps such try to create issues during installation and deny permissions.Now my problem is resolved , thanks.

mohanthirteen likes this.
  18. jeetpatil.nextplus
    Cupcake Jun 9, 2016

jeetpatil.nextplus , Jun 9, 2016 :
    Thank you...!!! This worked!!

19. vahid183
    Gingerbread Jun 9, 2016

vahid183 , Jun 9, 2016 :
    Dont have any any installed. Although AVG does have a battery savings option could that cause the problems?

20. rohitsadwani
    Cupcake Jun 9, 2016

rohitsadwani , Jun 9, 2016 :
    If i try to access my gallery from an app like whatsapp, it tells me to change permissions for it.
    When I try to give it permission it says screen overlay detected.. and i need to turn it off :/
    but that too option is not working, Please guys any idea about this problem.