Screen overlay detected CM 13

1. Viserion
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2016

Viserion , Jun 10, 2016 :
    Hey guys, I did the upgrade this morning and faced the screen overlay issue. I was not able to attach any media in Whatsapp. It was super frustrating
    I had about 20 apps in the screen overlay list and it didn't make any sense to me to disable all. But I disabled the screen overlay for one app called "File Manager" and bingo... it worked!!
    Now this is my guess but I may be wrong - Any app that can access your storage directly should be disabled from screen overlay. "File Manager" app was something that could access the phone storage directly, so it was creating the issue.
    I will be happy if this helps you guys. Take care.

Deactivated User and dcuban like this.
  2. Mohanr1984 avadi
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2016

Mohanr1984 avadi , Jun 10, 2016 :
    Hi all,
    Even I had the same issue after updating latest oxygen OS with Android Marsh mallow.

I had to remove DU battery manager app and battery control optimization apps to make it work. After that I was go to able to change settings to allow WhatsApp to download or send images. seems a bug need oneplus team to fix this

3. sanjay_ara
    Eclair Jun 10, 2016

4. funkybizkit
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2016

funkybizkit , Jun 10, 2016 :
    So here is how you fix it (through safe mode)
    So first turn off the device
    Then turn it on, and as soon as you see the one plus logo appear, hold down both the volume up and down keys until you reach the desktop.
    You are now in safe mode.
    Go to Settings/Apps then click on any program which you want unlocked eg WhatsApp, and then select Permissions and make sure everything is turned on. Now restart normally and all is fixed!

Hope this helps :)

5. funkybizkit
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2016

Then turn it on, and as soon as you see the one plus logo appear, hold down both the volume up and down keys until you reach the desktop.
    Go to Settings/Apps then click on any program which you want unlocked eg WhatsApp, and then select Permissions and make sure everything is turned on. Now restart normally and all is fixed!

6. funkybizkit
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2016

7. sluipscheiter
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2016

8. yaravind
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2016

yaravind , Jun 10, 2016 :
    Whatsapp on my One Plus Two also had the 'Screen Overlay' issue post upgrade. Uninstalling Clean Master worked for me. I then uninstalled and re-installed Whatsapp and was able to restore data.

If you have Clean Master you can try the option. Thanks Chandanp86.

9. bobbysingh
    Cupcake Jun 11, 2016

bobbysingh , Jun 11, 2016 :
    I am facing same issues, any update received from one plus 2 people

10. nongdarko
    Froyo Jun 11, 2016

nongdarko , Jun 11, 2016 :
    Yes ! ! Thank you,it was CC cleaner, removed it and now it's back to normal. What a guy :)))

11. lbrian
    Cupcake Jun 12, 2016

lbrian , Jun 12, 2016 :
    After uninstalled the Clean Master app, my phone is back to normal. Thank you!

12. G_Radzi_Aziz_lygU
    Cupcake Jun 12, 2016

G_Radzi_Aziz_lygU , Jun 12, 2016 :
    You mean when those apps (lux/drupe/whatever) running on your phone, you can change other apps permission without getting screen overlay detected message? I try Google and found that some nexus also experienced this problem.

I have one M8 running MM with gravity screen & drupe installed and never experienced this problem also but I don't count it because:
    1. The phone is rooted, its unfair
    2. Doesn't remember whether i tried change any app permission since upgrading to MM (the phone is not with me now)

13. Privacy_Replacement
    Gingerbread Jun 12, 2016

Privacy_Replacement , Jun 12, 2016 :
    Thank you

14. liien87
    Cupcake Jun 13, 2016

liien87 , Jun 13, 2016 :
    had the same issues, I tried deleting my screen brightness app and did nothing. The one that caused the problem I think was an app I used for my external Ipega controller. It was android controller settings or something... So that might help some of you. When I deleted it I could access the permissions from everything else again

15. saruamit4
    Eclair Jun 13, 2016

saruamit4 , Jun 13, 2016 :
    Able to get resolution after disabling AVG AntiVirus, clean master and file manager application. thanks for suggestions.

16. vahid183
    Gingerbread Jun 13, 2016

vahid183 , Jun 13, 2016 :
    Hey thanks. But i couldn't go to save/recovery mode as all the options (appearing after i let the volume down button go) were in Chinese lol. With no option to chose other languages. But I fixed the problem by doing a factory data reset from setting menu and that solved the problems.

17. sunilrao4
    Cupcake Jun 15, 2016

sunilrao4 , Jun 15, 2016 :
    @Rohit

Rohit please uninstall all battery savers or cm security.... Etc. Press power button and press power on screen when a prompt comes to reboot in safe mode.
    Any change of app permissions can only made in safe mode.

After reboot in safe mode follow the steps

1. Go to apps in the settings
    2. Please press the round shaped gear button
    3. Please go to Access permissions
    4. There within the same manually enable storage, camera, microphone... Etc options within for apps like Yahoomail, whatsapp, Instagram.... Etc
    Please select carefully as you would be dwindling security control measures.

18. mmonna
    Cupcake Jun 16, 2016

mmonna , Jun 16, 2016 :
    also in my case, there was a problem with screen overlay due to cleanmaster. after having uninstalled it, it works...

19. lesmil
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2016

lesmil , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Same thing here, I've tried all the suggestions here. The only thing I have not done is remove my CM Launcher because I like it (always looking for suggestions as to what works better, if you have one). No one has suggested the Launcher may be the problem. My issue is why has this issue not been resolved by the developer?

20. lesmil
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2016

lesmil , Jun 19, 2016 :
    It just goes back to the message and the loop begins again. So this did not solve it. thanks for trying