Screen protector cracked right away!

1. legoguy333
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2015

legoguy333 , Mar 7, 2015 :
    Hello

I ordered a tempered screen protector for my OPO so I don't have to send it to the other side of Europe to get it fixed next time i drop it (sigh). Anyways, I applied it perfectly, no specs of dust or anything, and I've had it for 4 days... aaaaaand it cracked. Somehow. In these days I've treated my OPO like the most precious thing in my life, I haven't dropped it or bumped it in any way. Today on the bus I wanted to watch YouTube and I noticed a tiny crack with a nick at the edge of the tempered glass. I assume it happened somehow when taking it out of my pocket, and since the protector has rounded edges it must've hit the most delicate part where the glass is the thinnest. Not really happy, but since it's barely visible and doesn't expand onto the screen (yet) I'm not very bothered by it either.

Long story short, it cracked just by being used correctly and I'm not really happy about it.

The picture added is zoomed and edited to make it more visible.
    crack.jpg

2. Vadomata
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2015

Vadomata , Mar 7, 2015 :
    Hmmh... weird, haven't happened to me yet. Is that OP's glass or other?

3. woodlawn
    Froyo Mar 7, 2015

woodlawn , Mar 7, 2015 :
    at least they aren't terribly expensive to replace. thats the benefit of having tempered glass replacement screen protectors.

Mine has been as solid as the rock of gibraltar.

legoguy333 likes this.
  4. Rafztafara
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2015

5. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Mar 7, 2015

SoniaB , Mar 7, 2015 :
    Now that it has a crack, the tempered glass protector will be weakened and so the crack will spread.

My suggestion would be to replace the screen protector. I use CaseBase. I got it from Amazon. Very happy with it and plus side is that you get two in the pack.

eckbauer and legoguy333 like this.
  6. SydBrown
    Honeycomb Mar 7, 2015

legoguy333 likes this.
  7. legoguy333
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2015

No, nothing happened to the screen or to the grey plastic rim around the screen, so something tiny must've hit ONLY the protector. unlucky :/

8. legoguy333
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2015

It's the screen protector.

9. eranm5
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2015

eranm5 , Mar 7, 2015 :
    Looks more like a scratch. Screen protectors are easily scratched by sand or quartz. If it didn't leave any bubbles then you can keep using it with no problems. Keep in mind that the SP is doing its job by absorbing all of those tiny scratches to defend your screen.

10. legoguy333
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion :) but right now it's a bit of a hassle to change it since I'm on an island and things are expensive and take a lot of time to send from amazon. OPO doesn't send anything here, so not going to buy that again any time soon. I'll keep it for now.

SoniaB likes this.
  11. legoguy333
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2015

I'm 100% sure it's a crack. If you look at the pic you can see the nick on the border of the protector. Little chunks of glass came off there.

EDIT: I don't remember having sandpaper or quartz in my pocket :D

12. eranm5
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2015

eranm5 , Mar 7, 2015 :
    Well, it can't just crack without a reason. What's the temperature where you live? Some users reported that they woke up after a very cold night (<-10°C) and their screen just broke without being dropped or anything.

13. legoguy333
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2015

Nono, I don't think it just spontaneously broke, i just think that it shouldn't have broken just by nudging something super tiny. *I think* it hit my jacket's zipper when i took it out of my pocket. Anyhow, it was something tiny.

14. Vadomata
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2015

Vadomata , Mar 7, 2015 :
    But who's the manurfacturer of the protector?

15. DrJMun
    KitKat Mar 7, 2015

DrJMun , Mar 7, 2015 :
    Refund time. As long as it's not the OPO screen it's not a disaster.

legoguy333 likes this.
  16. legoguy333
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2015

It's OPO's tempered glass screen protector.

17. eckbauer
    KitKat Mar 7, 2015

eckbauer , Mar 7, 2015 :
    I use CaseBase to. Also very happy with it.:)

legoguy333 and SoniaB like this.
  18. Julixjx
    Cupcake Nov 15, 2016

Julixjx , Nov 15, 2016 :
    Same happened to be, the protector broke right on the next day, also I am not aware of any damage from my side - I set a support/exchange ticket with OnePlus but they refused to exchange - not very good support, from my point of view. Would it hurt them to satisfy a customer, by exchanging a broken part that broke right away?
    And now I found that others had the same problem > don't they think about having a qualtity problem here??? :(

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

19. Julixjx
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2016

Julixjx , Nov 17, 2016 :
    and now One Plus: There are things that are out of our control and it looks like this is one of them. - who is in charge then????
    I read a lot of reports in the last days and from what I see, they only want to SELL the goods but seem to to be very amused of having to give support on quality issues. As I wonder, if there were so many people having the same issue, there must be a quality issue. Of course this was my last buy with OnePlus.

20. petrpero
    Cupcake Mar 10, 2017

petrpero , Mar 10, 2017 :
    Mine also cracked in the middle of the screen after not two weeks of use, eventhough I handled my oneplus as it was the most expensive thing I own. I never dropped it or anything. Scratches started to show, which I expected, but not a cracked protector. Poor quality.