Screen size comparison discussion

1. Okarin
    Honeycomb Jun 11, 2014

2. jmazzamj
    Jelly Bean Jun 11, 2014

jmazzamj , Jun 11, 2014 :
    No, I don't. The =! symbol you used just means "different" in math, it may not be related to programming ;-)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

3. vtr4423
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2014

4. shadymilkman
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2014

shadymilkman , Jun 11, 2014 :
    @NaNuNaNu keep beating that drum.. doesnt change anything or appear to be a valid observation. it is not the cap. buttons that make the phone large. for me, i wish that youd climb over this wall, cuz im tired of weak parade for this scapegoat. i physically showed you images of the internal construction showing why the phone is so long... accepting facts even when they disagree with our own perceptions is a sign of maturity, sticking to your guns in the face of impartial physical evidence is a sign contrary to maturity.. take some time to chose.

5. NaNuNaNu
    Honeycomb Jun 11, 2014

NaNuNaNu , Jun 11, 2014 :
    You are the one with the confirmation bias, not me.

You have provided NO facts, just images of the OPO's internals, which does not prove anything. Just that they chose to base the Oneplus on the OPPO Find 7's hardware, which has only capacitive buttons. OPO didn't try to alter the phone size at all(to fit a 5.5" screen into a 5" phone) in order to keep production production costs down. Removing the capacitive/hardware buttons would have allowed engineers to make smaller bezels and hence a smaller phone like the G3. This in turn, would have raised their R&D and production costs, killing any chance of profitability and success for them.

If you could please provide links to actual facts and information, devoid of your personal observations.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

6. shadymilkman
    Gingerbread Jun 11, 2014

shadymilkman , Jun 11, 2014 :
    i like how providing you with internal images doesnt qualify as facts... its how the device is constructed, what do you want? how much more factual does it get with respect to how something is put together?

i dont understand your mentality.

youve seen the internals, now were making excuses about everything else other than the obvious fact that the buttons are not the reason for the space, but that they decided to use the space productively because it was there, due to the nature of the internal design. namely the stereo speaker arrangement.

the buttons would NOT have made the devices bezels smaller, you cant obfuscate around that. its completely irrational to think that the speakers fall lower than cap.buttons (which are essentially stickers) when deciding on the engineering the internal structure of the device. never. one takes up volume the other does not. to blame the component that takes up essentially zero volume is absurd.

you: "i wish my car were smaller, but the hood is too long"
    me: "its the engine"
    you: "they were saving money cuz they didnt do research and someone else did the leg work, so to make it cheaper they made the hood long"
    me: "its the engine"

7. NaNuNaNu
    Honeycomb Jun 12, 2014

NaNuNaNu , Jun 12, 2014 :
    You haven't provided any independent evidence to support your claim, only anecdotal evidence and certainly NO facts.

1. The Find 7 was engineered and designed for capacitive buttons - FACT
    2. The OPO is basically a Find 7 - FACT
    3. OPO as a startup needs to keep R&D and manufacturing costs too a minimum - FACT
    4. OPO and CM added software keys in keeping with their mantra 'Never Settle' - FACT
    5. OPO could have designed the OPO with only software buttons but couldn't because of #3 - FACT
    If the OPO had designed and built the phone themselves, with only software buttons, the phones size would have been closer in size to the G3 - FACT!

8. cb474
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2014

cb474 , Jun 19, 2014 :
    I agree that it's not only the capacitive buttons that make the OnePlus One bigger than the G3. You can see the bezel at the top of the G3, where the earpiece is, is shorter than the top bezel on the OPO. That has nothing to do with the capactive buttons at the bottom of the phone. Also, it seems like there is plenty of room on the bottom of the G3 for capacitive buttons, had LG wanted to do that (in fact, why don't they have a smaller bezel at the bottom, on the G3, like at the top, given that there are no capacitive buttons on the G3?). And the side bezels are slimmer on the G3 also, which has nothing to do with the capacitive buttons.

LG just did a better job of engineering, overall. That's the explanation.

But, thanks for the photos NaNuNaNu. It's amazing to see how much smaller the G3 is, with the same size screen (accentuates how much of a beast/phablet the OPO truly is, since the G3 is hardly a small phone). LG really came much closer to accomplishing what OnePlus pretended they would do, with all of their hype before the release of the OPO, about a 5.5" screen in a 5" phone. To be fair, the G3 is not a 5" size phone either, but it probably gets about as small as you can get, with a 5.5" screen and current technology.

9. markjg
    KitKat Jun 19, 2014

markjg , Jun 19, 2014 :
    What they meant by that is that even though it's a 5.5" screen it's as easy to hold as a 5" screen. Now, I don't know if they made that mark but people do say it's easier to hold than most 5.5" phones.

Chinda likes this.
  10. tantai888
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2014

11. hongquangb5
    Froyo Jun 19, 2014

12. NaNuNaNu
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2014

NaNuNaNu , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Your point about the G3 having smaller side bezels is a perfect illustration of how hardware buttons can and do make for larger bezels. Imagine a phone with hardware/capacitive buttons along the sides of a phone. The bezels would have to be larger to accommodate the buttons.

The real question for anybody and manufacturers is WHY you want to include hardware buttons on a phone in 2014? Samsung, I understand because they will not get rid of the home button until Apple does but everyone else should follow Google's guidelines like LG, HTC and Sony.

The benefits of on screen buttons:

1. Allow for smaller phones for same screen size - See New LG G3
    2. Can easily be customized - Order, Shape, Functionality ex. Use Pie controls
    3. Can Change Orientation when phone is in landscape
    4. Make for a cleaner looking device(especially when the phone is off). Big Black Slab of Glass.
    5. Makes for consistent user experience among different manufacturers
    6. Don't have to worry about keys malfunctioning - poor back lighting on OPO's capacitve keys has already been observed making them hard to see.
    7. Buttons disappear in KitKat using Immersive mode - NO wasted screen space.
    8. Buttons are dynamic and change according to what you are doing or App using.

Try doing this with capacitive buttons;)

[​IMG]
    How to customize the LG G3's on-screen buttons
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-customize-lg-g3s-screen-buttons

How to hide on-screen buttons on the LG G3
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-hide-on-screen-buttons-on-the-LG-G3_id57227

13. artbeat
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 27, 2014

artbeat , Oct 27, 2014 :
    How did they claim that OPO has better Screen to body ratio than Nexus 5!?? I'm wondering!!

OPO: 71.86%

Nexus 5: 72.28%

How??