Screen Unlock: How it gets better over time

1. Dale F. Copywriter Staff Member Dec 9, 2018

Dale F., Dec 9, 2018 :
    Hi friends,

I’m Dale F, OnePlus’ newest copywriter. Nice to meet you all!

As this is my first time posting on the forums, I wanted to do something extra special. So, I thought I’d talk about my favorite part of the OnePlus 6T, Screen Unlock.

Join me as I share the story of this futuristic feature - and I even speak to one of the engineers behind it.

Let’s go!

display_detail_02.jpg

One of the OnePlus 6T’s most talked about features so far has been Screen Unlock.

Allowing you to securely unlock your phone in as little as 0.34 seconds, the 6T’s futuristic in-display fingerprint sensor is the world’s fastest. But how exactly does it work? And why did we choose to include it in the OnePlus 6T? Read on to find the answers to these questions, and more.

Why did we include Screen Unlock in the OnePlus 6T?

Our mission has always been to share the best technology with the world, so it made sense for us to include this revolutionary tech in our latest flagship.

In fact, as @Pete mentioned in his Screen Unlock post, we’d been testing it ever since the OnePlus 5T. However, the technology just wasn’t up to the standards of speed and reliability our users deserve, so we spent another year perfecting it until Screen Unlock was born.

In the graphic below, you can see a comparison of the early sensor we tested and the current one that’s found in the 6T.
    Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 15.19.01.png

How does Screen Unlock work?

The OnePlus 6T’s Screen Unlock combines software and hardware to ensure it works perfectly every time.

When a user places their finger on the 6T’s in-display fingerprint sensor, it sends out light to illuminate the finger, allowing the sensor to “see” the user’s fingerprint. During the testing stage, we discovered that green light gives the best results when it comes to recognizing fingerprints, which is why we went for this color.

The graphic below explains how the 6T’s software and hardware work together to offer a great unlocking experience.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 15.18.44.png
    What are the advantages of Screen Unlock?

Screen Unlock is the natural evolution of fingerprint technology. The first Android phone with a fingerprint sensor was released in 2011. Since then, we’ve seen countless phones that feature a fingerprint sensor, usually located on the front or back of the device.

While traditional sensors have served their purpose well, we believe that Screen Unlock gives unlocking your phone a whole new level of convenience. The 6.41 inch Optic AMOLED display used in the OnePlus 6T contains the Screen Unlock sensor, making it more than just a regular display. Now, you can access your phone in a quicker and more natural way.

Plus, you can’t deny that Screen Unlock is really cool. When you first used a smartphone with a fingerprint sensor, did you ever imagine that one day it could be hidden in the display? The future is finally here, it seems.

Screen Unlock gets even better over time

The OnePlus 6T’s Screen Unlock isn’t just a high-tech sensor – it also uses sophisticated algorithms to improve over time as they learn more about the way you unlock your phone. To explain this in more detail, I called upon the wisdom of Yale Liu, software engineer here at OnePlus.

“Every time a user successfully unlocks the phone with their fingerprint, the sensor also records areas of the finger that weren't registered in the initial fingerprint setup stage. This fingerprint data is then added to the data the phone already holds, making it more complete. So, every time the in-display fingerprint sensor is used, it gathers more data about the user’s fingerprint. This means that over time, the phone will unlock even faster.

“The sensor’s algorithms are also able to figure out when the user’s fingerprint is different than usual – if their finger is wet or if they have a cut on it, etc. In these cases, once the phone is successfully unlocked, the algorithms add this new fingerprint data to the existing data to improve unlock speeds under these conditions in the future.”

Use Screen Unlock like a pro

Using a combination of hardware and software, Screen Unlock is primed to provide a consistently reliable and fast unlocking experience. But there's more you can do to improve your experience. Below, we share some tips on how to make your Screen Unlock experience an even better one.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 15.18.12.png

How about you?

So, there we have it. We’ve explored in detail how Screen Unlock works and the history behind it. Now it’s your turn to tell us what you think about Screen Unlock. Share your experiences below. Thanks for reading!

Never Settle.

iSwapnil, raphtlw, anpachori and 99 others like this.
  2. meatandy Nougat Dec 9, 2018

meatandy, Dec 9, 2018 :
    Thanks for the insider info , Yes it has seemed to be getting faster over time .

raphtlw, Ottstop, waxsta and 19 others like this.
  3. xnutzii KitKat Dec 9, 2018

xnutzii, Dec 9, 2018 :
    Hi! Nice to meet you too!

Nice information, I have noticed it getting faster overtime, it was a pleasant read.
    Really enjoyed it.

I use screen unlock as well, but I have registered my thumb two times, so it doesn't miss that much, it still needs some improvement, as it seems more first-gen then i thought.

The animations are nice, Cosmos is my favorite.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018

4. alisabrikim Cupcake Dec 9, 2018

5. Aditya Dange Honeycomb Dec 9, 2018

Aditya Dange, Dec 9, 2018 :
    Ohh fingerprint accuracy improvement thing was new for me..Thanks for the update...[e]1f609[/e]
    Welcome to community Mr.Copywriter @Dale F.

Dale F. and JelleZon like this.
  6. G_Manav_Bansal Froyo Dec 9, 2018

7. gaster KitKat Moderator Dec 9, 2018

gaster, Dec 9, 2018 :
    Hey Dale,

Welcome and nice to meet you too. Thank you for this well detailed explanation about the In-Screen fingerprint performance. I am sure some users ll be happy knowing this. Thanks again.

Dale F. and xnutzii like this.
  8. JelleZon KitKat Dec 9, 2018

JelleZon, Dec 9, 2018 :
    I am very satisfied with the new fingerprint sensor on my 6T. It is really accurate and fast enough. Because the sensor is instantly active when you touch the phone (not the screen, just grab the phone or move it a little bit is enough) you are able to unlock the device without pressing a button or tapping the display . Due to muslce mind memory I can unlock the device without seeing where I have to put my finger on. While I pull it out of my pocket I put my finger on it and before I am able to have a look on the screen it is unlocked. So for me it is fast enough.

When you know how to register the fingers it is also very accurate.
    I can also agree on the learning curve. It got faster over time.

I only have one concern.
    My girlfriend also registered her finger but when she didn't unlock my device for a few days the phone seems to "forget" her finger and it does not work anymore... Does someone else has this issue?

kennethhurt1991 likes this.
  9. vijay_lalwani Honeycomb Dec 9, 2018

vijay_lalwani, Dec 9, 2018 :
    Oh, I think the most talked feature of OnePlus 6T's is the instagram and WhatsApp stories getting trimmed from each side.

Btw it's was a great insight. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am just going to give link to this thread if any cupcake complains about the fingerprint reader.

10. JelleZon KitKat Dec 9, 2018

JelleZon, Dec 9, 2018 :
    That's the fault of Instagram developers not one plus lol.

Just write them

raphtlw and Samppa_02 like this.
  11. vijay_lalwani Honeycomb Dec 9, 2018

vijay_lalwani, Dec 9, 2018 :
    I am not complaining. just saying that it's been talked about a lot.

12. M1512120759087 Eclair Dec 9, 2018

M1512120759087, Dec 9, 2018 :
    i have recorded same finger in all the slots. It is more accurate but theres not much difference in speed. i think one plus needs to increase the input slots or increase the finger data taken by each slot

13. Chirag1plus Cupcake Dec 9, 2018

Chirag1plus, Dec 9, 2018 :
    should increase the speed of unlocking and have a problem with typing in the numbers and at same time unlock thumb impression pops up..requires solution

14. I1541787796911 Cupcake Dec 10, 2018

I1541787796911, Dec 10, 2018 :
    Very nice information you have provided. thanks it's amazing technology more people interested in this regards while I use it for unlock my phone. it's very very cool features ever.

Dale F. likes this.
  15. Sidhaarth mutreja Froyo Dec 10, 2018

kennethhurt1991 likes this.
  16. I1541787796911 Cupcake Dec 10, 2018

17. GarageRamen Gingerbread Dec 10, 2018

Dale F. likes this.
  18. sechinov Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 10, 2018

Y1517938924081, Rsdokc and Franco16 like this.
  19. YRJ KitKat Dec 10, 2018

YRJ, Dec 10, 2018 :
    Hi @Dale F.
    Welcome to the forums, @Ruby G. has been the best in her job, and I wish you the same [e]1f609[/e]
    will surely see you around and thanks for the info on the various iterations of the screen unlock ,it's working and how it gets better over time!
    regards
    Yash [e]1f60a[/e]

20. alogim Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 10, 2018

alogim, Dec 10, 2018 :
    I use neither WhatsApp nor Instagram, but if this is an issue only 6T related, than it is not the app developers' fault.