SD810...is the OnePlus team lying to us?

1. lightsalot Froyo Jul 19, 2015

lightsalot, Jul 19, 2015 :
    A few reports more have been coming out about the "SD810 v.2.1" that the OP2 will be using is not so different from the original SD. HTC has come out and said they're using that SD already, among other companies like Xperia (Z3+) and they're still experiencing overheating issues despite putting out updates to try and fix this issue.

There was a post on Reddit not long ago calling out the OP teams' lack of transparency and insufficient customer service skills (focusing on putting the users at fault rather than being transparent) and since then, OP has taken a step in the right direction by improving their CS. I also know they recently put out a blog saying "they're mad" about these rumours regarding the SD 810 but they really failed to address how they developed a more improved version of it.

Significantly larger companies like Sony and HTC are still struggling to fix this issue, as much as I am anxious and excited about the OP2, I seriously doubt the development team at OP would be the ones to find a solution to this mess. The HTC spokesman said there really isn't a 'new version' of the SD 810, there is just one chip and he basically accused OP of lying to their fans so they can create an illusion that 'v.2.1' is a solution to the overheating, even the

Tweet by Jeff Gordon (HTC's communications manager), attacking the OP2
    Qualcomm on SD10 a few days ago
    Meaning the current version of SD 810 everyone is running on is an 'enhancement' to the previous one, it doesn't necessarily mean its a fix to the overheating, otherwise HTC, LG, Sony would have been out of the woods, but they're not and still working to find a fix.

LG on SD10 & OnePlus
    It'd be nice if the OP team can address this more in depth...I went from being skeptical about the OP2 following its SD 810 announcement to almost completely put off after this last week. I had planned on getting this phone asap, but I think I'd rather wait until the dust settles now.

EDIT
    I know the team said they will run the phone at 1.8ghz instead, but how does that solve the issue? The difference isn't noticeable...but if we're paying for a phone that is supposed to deliver 2ghz but we're receiving 1.8 instead (even if its considered a 'solution' to the overheating), then we're still losing out on 10% of what was promised to us and that is not our fault.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

Karu Ss, envy1, vici0us and 94 others like this.
  2. Salmonfish KitKat Jul 19, 2015

Salmonfish, Jul 19, 2015 :
    We won't know till the 27th...

3. Bihom_17 Gingerbread Jul 19, 2015

Bihom_17, Jul 19, 2015 :
    How? Will they tell us whether they've been lying? ;)

4. GrantPlus Gingerbread Jul 19, 2015

5. lightsalot Froyo Jul 19, 2015

We already know, maybe if you read the post then you would understand. If it's too lengthy for you, just focus on the quotes.

I don't think the issue is so much as OP lying to us anymore, I think it's clear that they are now. But some transparency is what would be courteous at this point.

6. scrivz69 Jelly Bean Jul 19, 2015

scrivz69, Jul 19, 2015 :
    I know the feeling, hence I am going to watch reviews and loads of them, they have committed to it so they have to use it, will be interesting to see what happens. Anyone can type HYPE.

7. p51d007 KitKat Jul 19, 2015

p51d007, Jul 19, 2015 :

Granted, when he runs benchmarks over and over and over, as the processor heats up,
    it starts to throttle, but in "real world" day to day operation, you won't see the hit. He only
    mentions that the back DOES become somewhat warm to the touch after prolonged use.

FYI...for what its worth...

Snapdragon 810 : How "bad" is it really ???

Damir Franc 4 hours ago
    +Niki Dimitrov the One M9 already uses the same "improved" 2.1 S810 so don´t expect much improvement on the OnePlus 2, the only thing they can improve is maybe the thermal design with a optimized device design and also tweak the kernel to run cooler but they can only do as much. it won´t change the general way the S810 behaves

8. arendon7 Gingerbread Jul 19, 2015

crist125 likes this.
  9. Shrapnelist Jelly Bean Jul 19, 2015

crist125 likes this.
  10. Salmonfish KitKat Jul 19, 2015

To be honest, Oneplus might very well be lying to us about a whole new version of the chip. The implementation might be different from phone to phone...and Oneplus might've optimized it to be better suited for the Oneplus Two. Yet again, we won't know if this so called "second version" has any difference, and that is what I meant when i said "We won't know till the 27th..."

11. Salmonfish KitKat Jul 19, 2015

No but the benchmarks, and reviews will tell us. And we won't know if this so called v 2.1 is actually different, or actually has a difference. It might just be in the way Oneplus implemented the SD 810, and they thought they could market it as a whole new version due to the new implementation...YET AGAIN: WE JUST DON'T KNOW

crist125 and Gonzo01 like this.
  12. geraldcortez Jelly Bean Jul 19, 2015

geraldcortez, Jul 19, 2015 :
    It's simple.. if you don't like the specs and performance, then don't buy it... there are lots of option out there... for me, I'll probably buy the Oneplus 2 out of curiosity, if I like it, I'll use it, if not, then I'll just give it to any of my relatives who needs a phone upgrade.

I had the Oneplus One, but I like the Nexus 6 better, so my son is using my Oneplus One now.

snider, JHong, FaWoTu and 3 others like this.
  13. Critic2k Gingerbread Jul 19, 2015

Critic2k, Jul 19, 2015 :
    From what we have heard, the SD810 will run at a lower speed (I believe 1.8GHz to the possible 2.5 GHz). This means that it will not achieve the Benchmark speeds of Samsung's Exynos in the S6 but still be faster than many phones out there.

The question is whether anyone actually needs those speeds anyway or whether it's all a marketing gimmick.

greenair, Gonzo01 and SoniaB like this.
  14. Majamulli KitKat Jul 19, 2015

Majamulli, Jul 19, 2015 :
    It's not lying, it's called marketing strategy.

(And yes, they are lying, not the first time)

DrJMun, JHong, Purealoha and 3 others like this.
  15. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Jul 19, 2015

SoniaB, Jul 19, 2015 :
    until the launch of OP2 on July 27 and the initial reviews for OP2 from tech sites come in, we cannot be certain that the OP2 will overheat with SD810 v2.1

We already know it will be under clocked to deal with the overheating. So wait until the launch and reviews come in.

Pretty much every review will address the potential overheat issue.

Flyka, JHong, arundas5959 and 6 others like this.
  16. Up1 Honeycomb Jul 19, 2015

Up1, Jul 19, 2015 :
    They might do some underclocking but the 810 v2.1 is exactly the same physically as others.

17. lightsalot Froyo Jul 19, 2015

I actually just addressed that in my edit...their 'solution' is to underclock it so it runs at 1.8GhZ, which is not a solution...its just a loss for us consumers. It may not be a big difference from 2 to 1.8, but it is still 10% and that's not something we should be punished for.

isaumya and veratoloz2005 like this.
  18. Salmonfish KitKat Jul 19, 2015

The transparency that you're dying to hear is gonna come on the 27th. All these teasers and the so called V 2.1 are supposed to dissuade fears of overheating and throttling. It's to get you to buy the phone regardless of how it actually is, it's supposed to generate hype. The real reviews and real benchmarks will come, and they will show if this so called V 2.1 really does have a difference or not. A new "version" doesn't necessarily have to be a whole new chip...it could be a new implementation of the same chip

19. Salmonfish KitKat Jul 19, 2015

EXACTLY what i've been saying...but even then, it's a "might". We don't know if this new "implementation" (whatever it is) will have a difference or not

Gonzo01 likes this.
  20. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jul 19, 2015

dsmonteiro, Jul 19, 2015 :
    You're not paying for a phone that is supposed to deliver 2GHz, the specs were announced from the beginning as being 1.8GHz, so you're not losing or winning anything. You're getting what they said you would.

Jamesst20, gmsm, BillBauman and 24 others like this.