Secret diary of a OnePlus employee | Life in Europe HQ

1. Tom D. OnePlus UK Jan 30, 2019

Tom D., Jan 30, 2019 :
    new forum.jpg

Hey friends,

Tom Downs here and I work in the communications team at OnePlus’ European HQ in London. After @Dale F. kicked things off brilliantly with his Secret Diary posts these last two weeks, I want to keep the ball rolling by telling you a bit about what it’s been like to work for OnePlus in Europe.

I joined the company nearly two years ago in April 2017 as a communications intern. During my later days at university in 2016 and then as a freelance reporter in the months afterward, OnePlus appeared more and more on my radar as a brand for techies looking to challenge the status quo. Considering the nature of the European smartphone market, or specifically its domination by two particular giants of the industry, I thought working in the communications team, whose main job it is to raise the profile of this challenger brand, would be a journey like no other.

And so far, I have been far from disappointed. Joining as I did when OnePlus was still making some of its first steps in Europe, our team consisted of no more than 10 people working out of a co-working office space in East London. As such the team dynamic was very open and collective with nobody limited to just one job but instead pitching in with various tasks at any level.

Of course, in communications, the main focus is getting the OnePlus story and product into the public mind through different PR campaigns, interview pitching and of course, multiple media coffees and networking. At the same time though, it wouldn’t be unusual to find myself featuring in a video teaser for a new colour variant or giving out ice cream to people queuing at one of our pop-up events.

upload_2019-1-30_9-43-24.jpeg

Caption: Beyond press duties, it’s not been unusual for me to get in front of the camera once in a while.

As part of this small team dedicated to growing the brand across Europe, another huge perk of my time at OnePlus has been the travel. At 11 European cities and counting, it has been an immense albeit hectic pleasure to spread the OnePlus message across the continent at various launch and community events, tech conferences and media meetings. The best thing about Europe is that no two countries are the same and there’s so much cultural difference. To see first-hand how our products and brand are perceived by media and community members in each country is something I’ve found truly fascinating- whether it’s been Italian gamers asking about what’s next in mobile gaming or a Dutch professional suggesting a dedicated OnePlus smartphone holder for their bicycle...

What has been most awesomely clear however is the growing passion for OnePlus across the continent. With each flagship, our job in communications increases in scale as more and more people become interested in OnePlus. From 20 journalists at a screening of the OnePlus 5 launch livestream to 1500 media and fans at the Copper Box Arena in London’s Olympic Park one year later for the OnePlus 6 launch, the rise has been real!

Caption: From London to Rome, the one similarity is the ever-strong support from the OnePlus community.

Even internally, the European team is now nearly 100-strong with offices in 9 countries, including our EU headquarters in London. Now focusing on just UK communications (after passing my internship I should mention ) I’m still glad to say that much of the spirit from the early OnePlus London days lives on. Despite our bigger numbers, openness remains a key value with everyone aware of each other’s tasks and very approachable to assist in any way. With a much bigger office than before, we’re now even able to invite members of our community to come hang out with us- just like we did last week as we hosted our first community FIFA and pizza night.

Caption: A big new London office can only mean one thing: COMMUNITY PIZZA NIGHT

It's fair to say it’s been an incredible ride here in Europe so far and there’s absolutely no signs of it letting up. With a bigger team and growing community, we can expect to see some exciting stuff this year and of course we want to have you guys with us every step of the way and spreading the OnePlus love. Let us know your thoughts on our European journey as well as any ideas for future posts so we can keep this hype train moving!

Never Settle.

Attached Files:

2. OnePlus_Heard_U Gingerbread Jan 30, 2019

thomasct and NateDev like this.
  3. Aathif_Mahir Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 30, 2019

4. the_reckoner Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 30, 2019

5. luxuskamel KitKat Jan 30, 2019

luxuskamel, Jan 30, 2019 :
    Hey Tom,
    Thanks for the insights and welcome to the community!

How many times did you meet Carl so far?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019

6. YRJ Jelly Bean Jan 30, 2019

YRJ, Jan 30, 2019 :
    Well written! I like these series TBH.
    It adds a lot to something that was previously just a mere username!
    Well done :) keep em coming!

Tom D., xnutzii and luxuskamel like this.
  7. Ceasedd Marshmallow Jan 30, 2019

otto2 and FlixbusLennart like this.
  8. B.yashaswi Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 30, 2019

B.yashaswi, Jan 30, 2019 :
    Congratulations @Tom D. and welcome to the community and i also hope that you will be having a very successful oneplus Journey.

Tom D. and Ard like this.
  9. meatandy Nougat Jan 30, 2019

meatandy, Jan 30, 2019 :
    The secret is out now. :p

10. Nigel Rijkhoek Administrator Staff Member Jan 30, 2019

Nigel Rijkhoek, Jan 30, 2019 :
    Hi Tomasshhh!

You know I have to ask this question right? What are some your favourite words you've learned traveling through those different European countries? I think I can remember one you keep on saying...

Greetings from the Dam!

otto2, Tom D., Kate A. and 4 others like this.
  11. MobileTechMatters Gingerbread Jan 30, 2019

otto2 and Tom D. like this.
  12. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 30, 2019

13. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Jan 31, 2019

14. YRJ Jelly Bean Jan 31, 2019

otto2 and luxuskamel like this.
  15. akshayr723 Honeycomb Jan 31, 2019

Jessie Michaelis likes this.
  16. Tom D. OnePlus UK Jan 31, 2019

Tom D., Jan 31, 2019 :
    Thanks a lot @B.yashaswi, it's great to be here!

Shivang Joshi, otto2 and B.yashaswi like this.
  17. Tom D. OnePlus UK Jan 31, 2019

Tom D., Jan 31, 2019 :
    @Nigel Rijkhoek I've been looking forward to this ...

Amongst a lot of Italian and French swear words I think you know pretty well that my ultimate favourite is 'toetsenbord' from the Netherlands... Dutch is a magical language :rolleyes:

18. An.I.Am Jelly Bean Moderator Jan 31, 2019

Shivang Joshi and otto2 like this.
  19. Tom D. OnePlus UK Jan 31, 2019

Tom D., Jan 31, 2019 :
    Haha best birthday ever!

20. aris Jelly Bean Feb 1, 2019

Shivang Joshi and otto2 like this.