Secret diary of a OnePlus employee | Part 1: Journey to OnePlus HQ

1. Dale F. Copywriter Staff Member Jan 15, 2019

Dale F., Jan 15, 2019 :
    secretdiary.jpg

Hi friends,

My name’s Dale Fox and I’m a creative copywriter at OnePlus. This is a new weekly post on our UK sub-forum in which we write about life behind the scenes as a OnePlus employee. In this first post, I’d like to tell you about the journey that got me here.

I remember when I first read about OnePlus on a tech site, back in 2014. There were rumours about a so-called Flagship Killer – a phone that had every feature a tech nerd like me could want, at a price that a poor student (also like me) could afford. Needless to say, I practically counted the days until the OnePlus One’s UK release date.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get an invite and get hold of this amazing beast of a phone (although that was down to me being too lazy to try hard enough; I simply signed up to the OnePlus mailing list and hoped for the best), but that didn’t stop me from following this company’s every move. In fact, while I was studying journalism in my hometown of Preston, I wrote and submitted a case study on OnePlus to my lecturer at the University of Central Lancashire – it’s plain to see I’ve been a fanboy since day one.

After spending two years living in Beijing working as a reporter and editor for a newspaper, I decided it was time for a change. I’d been checking OnePlus’ jobs page obsessively for a long time, and one day, my luck came in when I saw the role of “Creative Copywriter” appear. After a very long interview process (I was interviewed by four separate people at OnePlus and given several assignments to complete – they don’t just take on anyone here, it seems) I woke up one morning to receive an email that felt better than if I’d received 100 OnePlus One invites in my inbox back in 2014. “Welcome to the OnePlus family, Dale!” it said.

Dale_Fox_OnePlus.jpg
    Can you guess where I work?

To go from fanboy to employee was a feeling that’s hard to describe. The first day I walked through the shiny glass doors of the OnePlus office, I felt like Charlie when he enters Wonka’s chocolate factory (although there were no Oompa-Loompas or pools of chocolate, unfortunately). This was a company I’d admired for years, and there I was, being handed a OnePlus ID with my name and photo on it, and – even cooler – my very own Never Settle T-shirt.

During my first few days, I was introduced to my colleagues (who are all lovely - especially Hannah, the adorable office Shiba) and given a tour of the office. The atmosphere here is completely different to any place I’ve worked before. It’s very “tech company” – colleagues whizz around the place on scooters, all the desks are open-plan, and it’s not unusual to see Pete and Carl around the office, dressed casually as they chat with colleagues. Plus, the office has a sky garden with the most beautiful view over Shenzhen Bay – you can even see Hong Kong over the water.

OnePlus_Dog_Hannah.jpg
    Cutest colleague ever

The coolest thing about this place, however, is the treasure trove of OnePlus goodies tucked away in a corner as you enter the office. There’s a display area that contains live demo units of all of our phones, plus loads of unreleased experimental products made by OnePlus, from unusual phone cases to a recyclable drink holder. In fact, there may even be a special feature on these products coming up soon – you heard it here first (^_^)

My journey here has only just begun, but it feels like I’ve been a part of the OnePlus family since the start.

I hope you enjoyed reading this post. We’ll be back next week with another behind-the-scenes tale, but if you have any questions or post ideas you’d like us to cover, let us know below.

Never Settle

2. karthik yadawad Gingerbread Jan 17, 2019

Jerohdez and Dale F. like this.
  3. Sourav Kumar Sahu Gingerbread Jan 17, 2019

FlixbusLennart and Dale F. like this.
  4. Manish_Saha Cupcake Jan 17, 2019

Dale F. likes this.
  5. the_o2 Lollipop Jan 17, 2019

the_o2, Jan 17, 2019 :
    It's a joy to read your post, only few people got there dream/desired job and you are one of them :)

6. alessiodales Gingerbread Jan 17, 2019

alessiodales, Jan 17, 2019 :
    Amazing story.

I enjoyed so much reading this. I'm also a fanboy and i would like to do so.

Dale F. likes this.
  7. theshinybeast Lollipop Jan 17, 2019

theshinybeast, Jan 17, 2019 :
    A long........? Oh, the irony of it all.:rolleyes:

Sorry:(, but I just couldn't resist it.:p

Nice story though.

8. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Jan 17, 2019

toastytoast1234, Jan 17, 2019 :
    Secret diary of a pedantic English teacher. Maybe they have a job opening for an editor, but I warn you - it may take a long.

MafionzoR, Szymon K., SJBoss and 9 others like this.
  9. theshinybeast Lollipop Jan 17, 2019

theshinybeast, Jan 17, 2019 :
    What can I say? It's an occupational hazard, almost a curse. :rolleyes:

SJBoss, xnutzii, Cheetosdust and 4 others like this.
  10. cdnfarmer Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 17, 2019

B.yashaswi, YRJ, Cheetosdust and 2 others like this.
  11. Dale F. Copywriter Staff Member Jan 17, 2019

Dale F., Jan 17, 2019 :
    Haha, nice catch. Now let's hope @Chris dB doesn't notice (we're always having grammar wars with each other...)

B.yashaswi, Ruby G., xnutzii and 10 others like this.
  12. Gaston NP KitKat Moderator Jan 17, 2019

Gaston NP, Jan 17, 2019 :
    Thanks for the presentation, very nice.
    Welcome to the Community :cool:

13. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 17, 2019

dsmonteiro, Jan 17, 2019 :
    Don't be an picky person.

SJBoss, xnutzii, luigimario and 7 others like this.
  14. rkidcd911 Donut Jan 17, 2019

rkidcd911, Jan 17, 2019 :
    good post very enjoyable read on my cold commute into work keep it up and congratulations on the job

fulladd and Dale F. like this.
  15. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Jan 17, 2019

Moin2200, Jan 17, 2019 :
    Every oneplus fanboys dream, congrats Dave and welcome to the forum.

16. Shivang Joshi Starting Point Expert Jan 17, 2019

Shivang Joshi, Jan 17, 2019 :
    Yeah, Pete in a cool blazer and Carl in bzzzz costume, right? :p

That's cool :cool:

Please tell me it's not 5G :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your story with us :)

17. YRJ Jelly Bean Jan 17, 2019

YRJ, Jan 17, 2019 :
    That was such a nice post!
    From day one! You continue to amaze me @Dale F.
    The insider ;)
    Nice one!
    I am glad you achieved what you originally planned to, you are lucky. Not all get to do what they really want to do. :)

Dale F. likes this.
  18. RJBoss The Showcase Reviewer Jan 17, 2019

RJBoss, Jan 17, 2019 :
    Wow. A case study on OnePlus? Time for me to write one and submit it to my Professor as well. ^^

I hope someday I can be a cool copywriter like you, too :)

B.yashaswi, SJBoss, gaster and 5 others like this.
  19. theshinybeast Lollipop Jan 17, 2019

B.yashaswi, Ruby G., SJBoss and 5 others like this.
  20. GopalB. Marshmallow Jan 17, 2019