Secret diary of a OnePlus employee | Part 11: Behind the Scenes with April Fool's

1. Jess T.
    Graphic Designer Staff Member Apr 5, 2019

Jess T. , Apr 5, 2019 :
    Diary_Jess_WeeklyUpdate-Forum (1).png
    Little known fact about me: I love playing pranks and planning surprises. Years ago, I single-handely moved a friend’s mattress up 4 flights of stairs for April Fools’ Day. Just last year, I flew 7 hours to my hometown, hid in my parents’ backyard and surprised my mom on her birthday. With this in mind, it’s only natural that April Fool's is one of my favourite holidays.

This year’s Warp Car is my third OnePlus April Fool's campaign to date; I created visual assets for Dash Energy Drink and created the storyboard, and last year’s PeiCoin was the first global campaign I ever led.

upload_2019-4-5_9-49-59.png
    Anyone remember PeiCoin?

This year, April Fools fell on my lap again and I led the campaign. We brainstormed for ideas in February. Ideas that got rejected were Warp Charge chocolates, red cable liquorice, a OnePlus Fyre Festival, Bullets Wireless for your pet, and a ThanOS UI skin. @Vito B. from France came up with the genius idea of creating Warp Car. It makes sense, since we only launched the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition in December. The idea of a concept electric car was believable, and hilarious. Below, I will share some behind the scenes for Warp Car.

upload_2019-4-5_10-2-42.png
    Test driving the Warp Car

The image Carl tweeted was created in the London office as he was busy with The Voice of OnePlus campaign in Shenzhen. Crafting the perfect tease was a challenge. We had to balance the perfect amount of tease, but make it subtle enough for our eagle-eyed followers on Twitter to notice. Here’s a photo of us trying to make the photo happen. Can you spot our “leaks”?

upload_2019-4-5_19-47-58.png
    Figuring out how to plan the tease on Twitter

upload_2019-4-5_9-44-31.png
    The photo shared on Carl's Twitter

The slick video on social media was created with the help of our in-house designer and a local videographer in London. It took us a day to shoot and edit. Our designer Jonathan T. is a huge Tesla fan so he took inspiration from their commercial to help direct the shoot.

upload_2019-4-5_9-59-59.png
    Shooting the video! DSLR on an automatic slider, and a LED light wand.

While a real life car is not in the books for us anytime soon (or is it?), a smaller sized car will be available as a giveaway on our social media! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the details. For more information on Warp Car, head to the website.

upload_2019-4-5_10-1-35.png
    Follow IG, FB and TW and head to the Warp Car site!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

2. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Apr 5, 2019

Ruby G. , Apr 5, 2019 :
    Love the opening anecdote and behind the scenes photos @Jess T. :)
    "Me and my new whip" - I always learn new slang from you ha

3. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 5, 2019

Its.Leandroo , Apr 5, 2019 :
    Nice post! I wonder how long it took to build the webpage and translate it all, in time.:confused:

4. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 5, 2019

SJBoss , Apr 5, 2019 :
    you should’ve said “first!!” Instead.
    the video shooting part seems interesting. anyways hello!

5. Moin2200
    KitKat Apr 5, 2019

Moin2200 , Apr 5, 2019 :
    Good job on the preparations for April fools. Didn’t expect you guys to go to such lengths, well done.

Though I fear for those who fell for this. :oops:

meatandy, superplus, Ruby G. and 2 others like this.
  6. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Apr 5, 2019

G_plusone , Apr 5, 2019 :
    :eek:

Easy on the pranks :p

meatandy, Jess T. and YRJ like this.
  7. YRJ
    Lollipop Apr 5, 2019

YRJ , Apr 5, 2019 :
    Wonderful post @Jess T. Aka The prankster ;) I loved how you covered the BTS of the film and the 'alleged' car which is/isn't in production!

Nice idea @Vito B.

Thanks to the in-house photographers and designers you all did an astonishing job! I am surprised why Elon Musk hasn't replied to Carl's tweet yet!

I soooo want that car, @Crystal Z. Please bring it in the raffles or give one to me if possible, 'please' :oops:
    :D

Nice one.

8. The Joker
    Marshmallow Apr 5, 2019

S1553140488652 likes this.
  9. Impersonal
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 5, 2019

10. LightningXIII
    Lollipop Community Expert Apr 5, 2019

sommersy and YRJ like this.
  11. YRJ
    Lollipop Apr 5, 2019

YRJ , Apr 5, 2019 :
    We spoke about it already :rolleyes: :p :D

12. razzor228
    Gingerbread Apr 5, 2019

razzor228 , Apr 5, 2019 :
    Could have never imagined a girl can be behind one of these pranks! Lady! That's a job well done!

13. Impersonal

14. LightningXIII

nombre74 and YRJ like this.
  15. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Apr 5, 2019

gaster , Apr 5, 2019 :
    Nice nice nice post! Thanks for sharing!

buntycubal likes this.
  16. Impersonal

Impersonal , Apr 5, 2019 :
    Its from a movie, done by a genius of comedy, he passed away, I see you are uncultured but you could show some respect

17. sommersy
    KitKat Apr 5, 2019

sommersy , Apr 5, 2019 :
    Yeah, I hope it's real. could also do with one :D :p

18. LightningXIII

LightningXIII , Apr 5, 2019 :
    I was joking but ok.
    lost all hope man

sommersy and Impersonal like this.
  19. LightningXIII

Impersonal and YRJ like this.
  20. Impersonal

Impersonal , Apr 5, 2019 :
    A simple toy car can mean so much to so many, in the right hands (or bums) is a powerful tool, it can literally change the world, its not about fandom, very few people are "big fan" of Mozzard, Dostoyevsky or Einstain, as ironically as it sounds people that truly study them tend to hate them (i.e piano players or physics students or russian literature grads) yet all appreciate their genius

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

LightningXIII likes this.