Secret diary of a OnePlus employee | Part 12: 900 days at OnePlus

1. Pym C. Marketing Manager UK Staff Member Apr 18, 2019

Pym C., Apr 18, 2019 :
    Diary_Pym_WeeklyUpdate-Forum (1).png

Hello friends,

Last week I hit my 900th day at OnePlus! It made me think about the incredible journey I’ve been on and so I wanted to share some of my highlights with the people who make everything possible, you.

2016:

I remember the ‘good old days’ when I first joined OnePlus. There were 4 of us in a little glass box at a WeWork in London (@David S., @Laura W. & Caio), all working with the same belief: to share the best technology with the world. I’m so proud that all of our hard work has helped to grow the community, and the OnePlus team. There are now over 100 of us across Europe, each embodies the Never Settle spirit and does all they can to engage and grow the OnePlus community.

I joined as we were planning to launch the OnePlus 3T. My highlight was the OnePlus 3T pop-up, there’s no other experience quite like the countdown to opening the doors at a pop-up. The atmosphere is electric and it’s fantastic to be there when the community holds a new device for the first time.

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 3T London Pop-up queue
    2017:

The thing that makes OnePlus so special is the community, so we are constantly looking for ways to get you involved. One of my highlights was the student marketing challenge we held, asking for students to pitch their marketing ideas to win an internship to make them a reality. There were a lot of very long days to review all the applications to try and pick the best ones which were put to a community vote. The final round was a dragon’s den style live pitch session, where students from all over Europe came to London to pitch their campaign. In the end AD2 won, (@Adam Hoskin & @ADAMREASON). They joined us for the summer and worked with our favourite videographer/producer and friend Giacomo to make our first student video.

Another highlight was the Dash Energy April Fool’s ‘pop-up’. We decided, less than two weeks before April 1st, that we wanted to go even bigger this year! We had to find a van, design and wrap it and get hundreds of cans of Dash Energy and get everything to somewhere in central London. This is probably my favourite April Fool’s because I’m so proud of what we were able to accomplish together in such a short period of time.

2018:

This year we took it up a notch, asking you to help us to create the adverts for the OnePlus 6 in our Never Settle Films. Each film we added more and more suggestions to build up to our epic finale revealed at the OnePlus 6 keynote.

The OnePlus 6 was the first launch event held in Europe, and one of the biggest we had ever held, with over 1500 attendees. Sadly, I locked myself in a windowless room to make sure the livestream worked so that everyone at home could watch! I still remember getting goosebumps hearing all of the clapping and cheering reverberating through the venue.

Some behind-the-scenes photos of @Ruta giving her pep-talk on the morning of the launch and the stage during rehearsals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OnePlus 6 launch

Unlock Your Speed was probably the last time you saw a post from me on the forums. It’s an incredible achievement that together, we exceeded one tap for every person on earth! I want to apologise for the frustration I know some of you had, especially in the first few days after launching. While we had methods in place at launch to prevent cheating, we underestimated how many people would try and ruin the fun for everyone. Congratulations to all the challenge winners and the grand prize winner, a member who is on the forum from Germany.

2019:

We are all super excited for 2019, which looks like it’s going to be our best ever year! We hope to do more community events this year, so I might see some of you again soon ;) @Lauren A H and @Jack P. will be at Insomnia this weekend, so hope anyone going will come and say hello.

I’m grateful for having met so many members of the community all over the world, you really are the inspiration that keeps us all motivated, Never Settle.

Pym

2. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Apr 18, 2019

Cheetosdust, Apr 18, 2019 :
    Hopefully this was before or after the launch :p

Still of one of the greatest.

Thank you for the thread, @Pym C. and congratulations on the 900th day. :cool:

3. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Apr 18, 2019

Ruby G., Apr 18, 2019 :
    What a nice look back, Pym! You've been behind so many cool projects at OnePlus.

4. DARTH 007 KitKat Apr 18, 2019

DARTH 007, Apr 18, 2019 :
    hello my friend.
    u r an employee.thats ok.
    but what is your job and designation at OnePlus?????

Ravi BINAVAT and G_plusone like this.
  5. Ruta Project Manager Staff Member Apr 18, 2019

6. Moin2200 KitKat Apr 18, 2019

Moin2200, Apr 18, 2019 :
    Another well written post. It's been a long ride.
    Thanks for your hardwork and I hope you'll stick around for another 900 days. :)

7. Moin2200 KitKat Apr 18, 2019

Moin2200, Apr 18, 2019 :
    He's the marketing manager.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  8. Ruta Project Manager Staff Member Apr 18, 2019

9. G_plusone Lollipop Apr 18, 2019

10. superplus English POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 18, 2019

superplus, Apr 18, 2019 :
    Great stuff, I still remember your intro thread ;) Hopefully we'll finally meet at some event :cool:

11. Pym C. Marketing Manager UK Staff Member Apr 18, 2019

12. Pym C. Marketing Manager UK Staff Member Apr 18, 2019

Pym C., Apr 18, 2019 :
    Yes - I still can't believe this hasn't happened yet!

13. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Apr 18, 2019

SoniaB, Apr 18, 2019 :
    @Pym C. Congrats on the 900 days!!

I remember that room during the OP6 launch. Never have I seen so many Dash energy drink cans, extension plugs and devices getting charged en masse.

I don't remember meeting you that day but the O2 guys were fun to hang out with.

14. meatandy Nougat Apr 18, 2019

meatandy, Apr 18, 2019 :
    WOW , A few OP admins actually spending time in the forum other than David and Ruby. :)

15. YRJ KitKat Apr 18, 2019

YRJ, Apr 18, 2019 :
    I'm awestruck @Pym C. What a fine thread. This was the best addition to secret diary series!

Sure I haven't been around for long but the threads you know they, never die! I have been to various of your past threads and the weeklies you used to do, they are great, no wonder people still push you to do it!
    But I still am furious with you for that tapping contest, I really tried hard :(

Also it's a pleasure to see how you people work BTS and the n number of projects that you've been a part of. My time and experience on these forums gets better with each passing day! I'm glad to be here.

Congrats on your 900, here's to another 900. Cheers :)

All the best and hang around more often ;)

Will see you around, provided you are here.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

16. DARTH 007 KitKat Apr 18, 2019

looks like the big fish are being told to interact with the common mass to generate a feeling of the community interaction, which Carl always talks about.

Ravi BINAVAT and G_plusone like this.
  17. DARTH 007 KitKat Apr 18, 2019

lol .. awestruck...
    looks like u just saw the moon..

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  18. YRJ KitKat Apr 18, 2019

YRJ, Apr 18, 2019 :
    Please buddy, I know you have some issues and your personal problems, but let there be some positivity around the forums. It's after long that the forums are back to good and Pym is here too.

I said 'please', we'll do this some other time!

19. DARTH 007 KitKat Apr 18, 2019

personal problems, issues , with whom ..??
    lol ..
    just learning from your words.
    awestruck for what...still figuring out.
    nice diplomacy though.

Ravi BINAVAT and i_am_JSK like this.
  20. YRJ KitKat Apr 18, 2019

YRJ, Apr 18, 2019 :
    I will not humour you again.
    Expect this as my last!