Secret diary of a OnePlus employee | Part 2: Life as a OnePlus copywriter

1. Dale F.
    Copywriter Jan 22, 2019

Dale F. , Jan 22, 2019 :
    Lifeasonepluscw.jpg

Hi friends,

Last week, I introduced myself and shared my journey to OnePlus with you. This week, I’d like to explain what a typical day is like for me, as well as what goes on behind the scenes of the copywriting team. So, join me as I share the life of a OnePlus copywriter.

If you’re not familiar with this job title, a copywriter is basically someone who creates copy (text). At OnePlus, this could be anything from an email to a product tagline to even the words inside an app. In fact, probably everything you’ve ever read on the OnePlus website or even inside OxygenOS itself was written by a member of our copywriting team.

There’s an overused saying in many workplaces that “no two days are ever the same”. Well, although it’s a cliché, it’s certainly true of OnePlus. To give you an idea of what life is like here, I’ll go through some of the things we do in a regular day.

Luckily, I live just five minutes’ walk from the office, so I usually wake up about 45 minutes before I start work, do some quick exercises and take a shower, then enjoy the short stroll to the office. Thanks to the wonders of delivery apps, my breakfast and coffee are already waiting for me in the OnePlus kitchen when I arrive, so I sit down to enjoy them while checking my emails before heading to my desk.

At any given time, my copywriting colleagues @Chris dB, @Malindi S. and I are usually working on at least four or five different projects each, so we’re always busy. Right now, for example, I’m working with members of our e-commerce team to create an email campaign to send to our UK mailing list subscribers. At the same time, I’m also helping our software engineers create new copy for an updated version of one of our apps, and I’m working with our marketing team to come up with copy for a cool video that’ll be uploaded to our social media channels soon. Last week, I finished creating an annual report that’s now live on our website, and I finished helping create the last in a series of posts on the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition that you may have seen on our social media accounts.

As you can see, a lot of our work is about collaborating with others. Actually, one of the many great parts of this job is how open people are and how easy it is to communicate with anyone in the company – there are no barriers here. Recently, for example, I wrote a deep-dive article on Warp Charge 30 and was easily able to meet up with one of the engineers who helped create this technology. In my past experience, this kind of thing would normally take days or weeks to arrange, and would probably involve sending multiple emails back and forth for days until I got the information I needed. But at OnePlus, I simply sent the engineer a message and asked when he was free for a quick chat – easy. And if I’m curious to know what @Pete thinks about the weather, I can just ask him in the lift in the morning :D Nobody hides behind closed office doors here.

As for my teammates Chris and Malindi, what do they think about life on the front lines of OnePlus’ copywriting team?

“If there’s one thing that’s certain about OnePlus, it’s that it’s chock full of creative individuals,” Malindi told me. “I’m lucky enough to work with these awesome people on a daily basis. Sometimes it’s for a simple social media post and on other days it’s for brainstorming massive new campaigns. Everyone is constantly creating something new and inspiring.”

OnePlus Copywriting Team.png
    @Malindi S., @Chris dB and @Dale F., the team behind OnePlus' copy (photo by the multi-talented @Ruby G.)

"Life at OnePlus has gradually evolved over my time at the company, but the same kinetic energy that pulled me in the door three years ago is still visible in everything we do,” Chris shared. “Whether I join a product designer in a passionate argument over the copy for the packaging of a new case, or spend the afternoon fighting for a marketing campaign to be approved, every day at OnePlus provides further proof that everyone here loves what they do."

And “love” is definitely the key word that describes the spirit of OnePlus. A love for our products, along with attention to detail and passion, are qualities that it seems every OnePlus employee possesses. Indeed, many a lengthy discussion takes place over seemingly trivial things on our team, like how drastically a comma would impact a tagline, or whether the font in one of our social media graphics is slightly too small. However, that only shows how important even the tiniest details matter to everyone here, no matter what our job is.

So, what’s my favourite thing about working as a OnePlus copywriter? Well, being both a OnePlus fanboy and a tech nerd, I love when I get to write copy for OxygenOS. It’s so cool to know that something I've created will be seen by millions of OnePlus users all over the world, even if it’s just something as simple as an OTA changelog. A (very) close second, however, is being able to write articles like this for the community. It feels like we’re all on this journey together, so I want to share as much as I can about life at OnePlus with you.

That’s it from me this week; now it’s time to get back to work! What are your opinions on the life of a OnePlus copywriter? Would you like to do this job? And if you have any suggestions for future posts, please let us know.

Never Settle

2. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Jan 24, 2019

Stickied Post
    Ruby G. , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Just gonna leave this here https://www.oneplus.com/careers#openings

dsmonteiro, otto2, luxuskamel and 6 others like this.
  3. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 23, 2019

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Jan 23, 2019 :
    Any copywriter job openings? ;)

4. Moin2200
    KitKat Jan 23, 2019

Moin2200 , Jan 23, 2019 :
    Always such a fun read. Looking forward to the next one.

Shivang Joshi, Dale F. and YRJ like this.
  5. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Jan 23, 2019

Cheetosdust , Jan 23, 2019 :
    Thank you once again for sharing these insights to the daily life of a OnePlus copywriter, @Dale F. :cool:

A very nice read.

So, what does he think about the weather? :p

6. YRJ
    Lollipop Jan 23, 2019

YRJ , Jan 23, 2019 :
    If you need any help, I'm just a PM away.
    I hope I did not make it obvious that I want to work for OnePlus. I want to be a copywriter so bad! You are doing the best job possible.
    @Dale F. another great read, like always keep us updated Mr. Insider ;)
    I will look up to you for all things on the inside :)

Just because you asked, why don't you ask @Malindi S. To kick start her forum activity. Looking at the fun, you 3 copywriters are having in that pic above, I am sure @Malindi S. is a fun person too.....
    We know you and @Chris dB haven't heard from her yet!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019

otto2 and jlasensiofi like this.
  7. G_Mark_Patrick_fTkN
    Cupcake Jan 23, 2019

8. Gangadharr
    Gingerbread Jan 23, 2019

YSudhakarReddy likes this.
  9. Bibin Alexander
    Froyo Jan 23, 2019

Bibin Alexander , Jan 23, 2019 :
    I have always been a fan of the One Plus social media team and wanted to ask if there's any way I could apply for digital roles.

Loved the culture and the story and would definitely like to be part of this team.

10. sommersy
    KitKat Jan 23, 2019

otto2, Shivang Joshi and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  11. meatandy
    Oreo Jan 23, 2019

meatandy , Jan 23, 2019 :
    Nice story and I spied the community t-shirt in the background. , Thanks to @pipecpa .

12. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Jan 23, 2019

jlasensiofi , Jan 23, 2019 :
    Really interesting @Dale F.

I always liked to know about the ins and outs of companies, about what the day to day of the workers is like, and now I check it with their work at OnePlus. I think it can be the envy, healthy, of many people.

Congratulations :);)

Never Settle.

Shivang Joshi, buntycubal and Dale F. like this.
  13. A1548290474087
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2019

14. Bibin Alexander
    Froyo Jan 24, 2019

Ruby G. likes this.
  15. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Jan 24, 2019

Ruby G. , Jan 24, 2019 :
    "Ah it's raining heavily today, a perfect day for everyone to stay in and focus on their work."
    "It's a beautiful day outside, perfect conditions to inspire everyone to work hard today."
    "It's so humid today, everyone can stay inside and work hard on their projects today."

:p I kid, kind of.

16. Dale F.
    Copywriter Jan 24, 2019

Dale F. , Jan 24, 2019 :
    I miss sunny days as a school kid when the teacher would let us work outside. Maybe we should suggest that to Pete :D

17. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 24, 2019

otto2, Shivang Joshi and Ruby G. like this.
  18. sethisidd
    Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

otto2 and Ruby G. like this.
  19. sethisidd
    Jelly Bean Jan 24, 2019

sethisidd , Jan 24, 2019 :
    Just loved reading the insights and the experience.!!!!
    Continue writing to the community about the experiences...

20. Seagal_aikikai
    Honeycomb Jan 24, 2019