Secret Diary of a OnePlus Employee - Part 5: Meet Janko, our UK Operations Manager

1. Janko S.
    UK Operations Manager Feb 22, 2019

Janko S. , Feb 22, 2019 :
    WeeklyUpdate-Forum.png
    On the left, with @Fry B.

Greetings community!

My name is Janko and I work in our European HQ in London as our UK Operations Manager. In this post, I will tell you how I got to OnePlus, what a typical day looks like and also try to explain what business operations are.

A question I am often asked during our events is how I got to OnePlus. And I often answer that it was by a total accident, which is completely true. I was searching for a new job and one listing was for the position of Office Manager, but there was no company name listed, only the requirements etc. I got through the phone interview, however I forgot to ask the name of the company. It was only on the day of my interview when I messaged the interviewer I spoke with, that I enquired about the name of the company. I received a simple, one-word answer:

“OnePlus”

Fortunately I was at home because upon reading that message, I literally shouted in surprise “ONEPLUS?!” I could not believe it for a moment, as I have not been expecting this. Yet, I kept my hopes low in case it was another company similarly named.

Once I arrived for the interview, I saw all the logos, phones and team members around the office. Yes, it truly was THAT OnePlus. The interview went pretty well, however I thought that I failed because I messed up one of the specs when talking about the OnePlus 3T. I felt a bit bummed, but after two days, I received a call – I got the job! :cool:

Community.JPG
    Kicking some *** in Super Smash Bros. Melee during one of our community gatherings.

After joining, right off the start on my third day in, I made a huge faux paus when talking with @Carl. Back then we had a much smaller team and we used to have Friday lunch together. We would all sit around the table and talk one by one about what we have been working on.

Now, I knew about OnePlus and what they did, but I was not a fanboy - I had no clue what Carl looked like. It was my first such lunch and also my first time seeing Carl. As we were going around the table and he finished his part, I asked: “So, what do you do here, what is your position?”.

Immediately after I said those words, the whole room froze and the Earth stopped rotating. Everyone besides me was just waiting to see what was going to happen whilst I, still full of enthusiasm, smiled at Carl, waiting for his answer.

- “I am one of the Co-Founders.”
    - “Oh…”

Needless to say that with that very sentence, I broke all the ice there could have been, probably sped up the global warming along the way. However I think that it genuinely helped because from that point I didn't have the boundaries that I may have had before and we became friends along the way (at least I believe so, maybe he still hasn´t forgiven me… ;)).

Almost two years have passed from that very moment. OnePlus turned 5 years old just recently, so I like to say that I am a Senior Member :D. A lot of stuff has changed. Not only have I gotten promoted, but we have also grown a lot, hired many new people, opened new sales channels and new offices in new countries, got two dogs in the office and launched many great products. So what does a typical day look like and what do I do?

When I arrive to the office, I am usually greeted with a welcome bark from our Chief Bark Officer - @Fry B. (read his diary here). As I know my manners, I also bark my hello to him, completed with a belly rub. You know, he is keeping us safe and he never fails to announce any visitors so he deserves a pet or two!

I then proceed to our kitchen to make myself a tea and grab a snack to get me going in the morning. I am usually joined by our second in-house dog – Lula, our Director of Growls or DOG for shorter. She never fails to strike a puppy eyes on you anytime you are in proximity to food, often successfully securing a small treat for herself.

Fry.jpg
    Here with our CBO (Chief Bark Officer) Fry and Lula the DOG (Director of Growls).

I then head to my desk and get working, but what are the operations that I help to look after? Business operations is a wide term and I am pretty sure that the definition will vary from company to company. You could sum it up as “everything that happens within a company to keep it running.” It can range from logistics, forecasting, replenishment and organization to optimization of daily processes.

For me specifically it means communication with our HQ and our business partners, making sure all the parties have the correct info, optimizing processes along the way to make it quick and simple for everyone, collecting demands from our partners, resolving any issues they/we may have, monitoring all the deliveries and working closely with them on their intake forecasts (how many phones and when they want them). Making sure that their intake forecasts are precise is key to our industry as markets and tech are changing quickly. Should their forecasts be wrong, they may end up with too many legacy devices for which there is not enough demand or the other way around – run out of stock.

It is often a complicated process where we have to keep in mind many factors like upcoming promotions, new devices being introduced by our competitors or simply even the season of the year – I can promise you that the demand during months like November and December, when there are events like Black Friday and Christmas, will see much higher demand than July, when most of the people are spending money for their holidays and festivals. Nevertheless, getting all of the above right is crucial because you really don´t want to launch a promotion and then run out of stock within a first few days! There are however occasions when we are literally unable to meet the customers' demand due to the limited availability of certain products – special colour editions for example.

Charging.jpg
    Moments rarely seen by a public - preparations for the launch of the OnePlus 6, charging and flashing the demo phones.

Last year, we opened a new sales channels for our customers in the UK when we have moved from being exclusive with O2 to being widely available also with EE, Vodafone and retailers like John Lewis, Amazon, Carphone Warehouse and others. I have to admit that it was a real challenge to onboard all of them and getting adhered to all of their requirements, especially when it comes to the shipping and labeling. You would just simply not believe how much “science” and compliance goes into that sticker on the back of your device box!

But that was last year and as you know, we NEVER SETTLE. So what is coming next? You would surely like to know right? And it would be really nice of me to tell hm? Well, I am pretty certain that since you are reading this you already know, but just in case you missed it, I will provide you with a simple, one-word answer:

5G :)

Have an awesome day friends and May the Force be with You!

Janko

2. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Feb 22, 2019

Ruby G. , Feb 22, 2019 :
    @Janko S. how do you take such great selfies with dogs? Animals often look away from the camera when I try to pose with them XD
    Looking forward to meeting you at some point :)

luxuskamel, gaster, sommersy and 10 others like this.
  3. YRJ
    Lollipop Feb 22, 2019

YRJ , Feb 22, 2019 :
    Are you sure he just said Co-Founder and nothing else?
    He must have mentioned a bee or a panda! :oops:

Anyway, Hi @Janko S. Welcome to the forums. It was nice reading through your first experiences :D
    Hope to see more of it.
    Regards
    Yash :)

4. muharrem1961
    Gingerbread Feb 22, 2019

G_plusone and Janko S. like this.
  5. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 22, 2019

Moin2200 , Feb 22, 2019 :
    I am loving these. Welcome to the forum @Janko S. !
    I look forward to reading more of these stories, as it helps paints the picture of the people working behind the scenes that are just as important as the rest.

Also we need more pictures of those dogs :p

luxuskamel, otto2, G_plusone and 3 others like this.
  6. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Feb 22, 2019

luxuskamel, buntycubal, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Joehad83
    Honeycomb Feb 22, 2019

G_plusone and Janko S. like this.
  8. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Feb 22, 2019

otto2, G_plusone and Janko S. like this.
  9. Plenkske
    Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Feb 22, 2019

10. Ruta
    Project Manager Feb 22, 2019

Ruta , Feb 22, 2019 :
    Wow I didn't know about that Carl story - epic!
    And such nostalgia seeing the 100 charging phones, dream team, you guys did an amazing job :)

luxuskamel, cdnfarmer, gaster and 5 others like this.
  11. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Feb 22, 2019

B_Wrath , Feb 22, 2019 :
    Like an inflatable robot? o_O

12. ...j
    Cupcake Feb 22, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  13. Janko S.

The word on the street says that I am an animal whisperer ;)

14. Janko S.

Do not try to face unlock my phone! :D

luxuskamel, cdnfarmer, Baymax and 2 others like this.
  15. Janko S.

Thanks to that session the office never ran out of spare chargers :D

Ard likes this.
  16. Moin2200
    KitKat Feb 22, 2019

Moin2200 , Feb 22, 2019 :
    I think you should talk to your parents. They might have something to tell you. :eek:
    That necklace you received for your 18 birthday is part of a 2 set piece.

cdnfarmer and Baymax like this.
  17. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Feb 22, 2019

G_plusone , Feb 22, 2019 :
    Now that is A good start :p
    Hello Janko :)
    Nope alter ego Treymax
    Nice looking red

Baymax, Janko S. and B_Wrath like this.
  18. nitramcek
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 22, 2019

19. Janko S.

Nope, I am from Slovakia, but live in London for a few years now :)

TibiTibi likes this.
  20. meatandy
    Oreo Feb 22, 2019

meatandy , Feb 22, 2019 :
    *Not a robot* :D

Baymax likes this.