Secret diary of a OnePlus employee | Part 6: MWC, Powered by Coffee

1. Lauren A H UK influencer and PR Manager Staff Member Feb 28, 2019

Lauren A H, Feb 28, 2019 :
    LaurenForum.png

Each year hoards of people arrive in Barcelona for Mobile World Congress (MWC). The show floor is full of fantastic devices, lights, colours and most importantly, phones.

My name is Lauren, I’m the UK Influencer Marketing Manager at OnePlus. I work with our YouTube and Twitch content in the Europe office in London. I’m going to tell you a bit more about my trip to MWC this year, which was, safe to say, a whirlwind 24 hours.

MWC is an important event in the calendar as everyone comes together to hear what’s new. This year, our partner Qualcomm, invited us to exhibit on its stand where we showcased a 5G prototype device.

Before the show, my job is to check which YouTubers are attending, make sure they know when to be on the stand and arrange to meet up so they can see what we have on show. I’m over here to make sure that the content is captured and to attend our MWC party which has become an annual event, and some may say, the party of the year :p

4.00:
    After heading to bed at around 9pm the previous evening (because of the early start), I jumped out of bed and hopped in the taxi to Gatwick airport.

10.00:
    Made it! Not so good with mornings. I’m already two coffees in. Arrived at Barcelona airport and went downstairs with my passport to pick up my MWC show floor pass – it’s always easier to get it from here than congress itself as there are so many people. There’s always loads of MWC staff dotted around too who are super helpful. Next task is to find the metro to take me to the Fira.

11.30:
    Just arrived on the show floor – time to make some content. Coffee first! Met up with The Tech Chap and filmed some exciting new footage with Qualcomm’s Richard Tinkler on what is 5G and what is it going to do? 5G was THE buzzword of MWC and we have such great partners in Qualcomm and EE who are able to explain what it does in more detail. Watch this space!

MWC-Stand.png

TechSpurt just appeared too who is an old friend from my days as a PR – good catch up and tell him a bit more about Shadow – an app that allows you to play any game from your PC on your mobile.

13.00:
    Had to nip back behind the booth to write a document on 5G, check in on Fnatic and our gaming partnership and send a few emails to some more influencers about other projects that we have coming up. Part of my job is making sure that I plan ahead so that we’ve always got content in the pipeline with influencers, which can be tricky at times – especially on super busy days.

16.00:
    Managed to catch up with SuperSaf, MrWhoseTheBoss and What Gear and then thought about shooting back to drop my luggage at the apartment that we were staying in.

18.00:
    So nice being in Barcelona. Found our UK PR Manager, Laura, chilling in a Costa coffee with amazing WiFi. This meant that we could send an update around on what was happening on YouTube and in media. It also meant time for yet another huge cup of coffee which is definitely needed because I’m super sleepy. It’s been a long but rewarding day already.

20.00:
    We’ve just arrived at the party which is in a venue called Ultramarinos on Las Ramblas. Literally spot a rig of all of our phones stitched together which creates a moving photobooth which is INSANELY cool. I literally love technology and geek out on anything like that.

MWC-party.png

21.00:
    At 9pm, the party is picking up and there’s an announcement – it’s @Pete's birthday. Pete makes a speech saying thank you to everyone for coming. A cake arrives on the stage and there’s red velvet cake for days.

Lots of our influencers are here which includes MrWhoseTheBoss, SuperSaf, Beginners Tech and The Tech Chap. It’s an amazing party and it’s not just UK influencers who have arrived. YouTubers from across Europe have also descended. We all jumped in the photo rig.
    [​IMG]

02.00:
    Not sure how I’m still awake but I’m on my ninth coffee of the day and possibly my fifth bottle of Pepsi Max so the caffeine must be working. We’re still hanging out with people. The party has been great but it’s well and truly time for bed.

2. Andy lone Froyo Feb 28, 2019

Andy lone, Feb 28, 2019 :
    hi Lauren you must be buzzing with all that caffeine inside Lol and the endorphins going around with all that 5g going on at MWC , hope you had a great time meeting new people and technology [e]1f4f1[/e][e]1f44d[/e]

3. Its.Leandroo The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 28, 2019

4. meatandy Nougat Feb 28, 2019

meatandy, Feb 28, 2019 :
    Welcome to the forum , it sounds like your trip went well and good luck with the upcoming 5G launch.

BTW there is nothing wrong with going to bed at nine o'clock. ;)

5. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 28, 2019

6. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Feb 28, 2019

Cheetosdust, Feb 28, 2019 :
    Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums, Laura :)

7. otto2 Lollipop Feb 28, 2019

otto2, Feb 28, 2019 :
    As we can see, it time for you to get a real coffee...

Here you are.

IMG_20190227_142122_002.jpg

Maybe it will help you and the rest of the staff finding some interesting applications for us users, that will make 5G more usable than just faster download /upload speeds....

Que aproveche

dsmonteiro, cdnfarmer, hennes and 6 others like this.
  8. the_o2 Lollipop Feb 28, 2019

the_o2, Feb 28, 2019 :
    Nice to read this post,
    Looks like working for OnePlus is nothing less than fairy tales :D:D

9. buntycubal Lollipop Feb 28, 2019

buntycubal, Feb 28, 2019 :
    _DSC9330-01.jpeg
    Pic taken by dsmonteiro on 25-2

MWC-Stand.png
    Pic taken by Lauren
    & That dude is still there playing Ace Combat 7,with same clothes on him..

10. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Feb 28, 2019

Cheetosdust, Feb 28, 2019 :
    I bet he's still there playing the game :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Checking new devices and tech is overrated, he just wants to see how the game ends. :p

cdnfarmer, buntycubal and otto2 like this.
  11. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Feb 28, 2019

12. Lauren A H UK influencer and PR Manager Staff Member Feb 28, 2019

Thanks Andy - I'm on coffee number five today so Tuesday was nothing unusual. I did miss my taxi in the morning though which I didn't mention :p

13. Lauren A H UK influencer and PR Manager Staff Member Feb 28, 2019

Thanks for the welcome. Back to business as usual in London today. :)

14. B.yashaswi Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 28, 2019

B.yashaswi, Feb 28, 2019 :
    Nice read thanks for the post @Lauren A H and welcome to the community hope we will be seeing more and more such posts and ones secret for success is coffee ;)

Lauren A H and buntycubal like this.
  15. BeingIncog Marshmallow Feb 28, 2019

BeingIncog, Feb 28, 2019 :
    @B_Wrath @Dresa91

16. Dresa91 Oreo Feb 28, 2019

Dresa91, Feb 28, 2019 :
    a coffee friend :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

otto2, sommersy, Bobbie63 and 4 others like this.
  17. B_Wrath Lollipop Feb 28, 2019

B_Wrath, Feb 28, 2019 :
    One of the coffee lovers:p:hearteyes:
    I usually have 7-8 cups a day! :D
    Welcome to the club:)
    @Dresa91 , @Lauren A H is
    [​IMG]

otto2, Bobbie63, Lauren A H and 4 others like this.
  18. Dresa91 Oreo Feb 28, 2019

Dresa91, Feb 28, 2019 :
    maybe we should start an OnePlus Coffee group :D

gaster, otto2, Bobbie63 and 5 others like this.
  19. script Marshmallow Moderator Feb 28, 2019

script, Feb 28, 2019 :

Hi, Welcome & have fuuuuuuun

otto2, cdnfarmer, Lauren A H and 2 others like this.
  20. Lauren A H UK influencer and PR Manager Staff Member Feb 28, 2019

I'm so onboard with this. Coffee for days! <3

otto2, buntycubal, B.yashaswi and 2 others like this.