Secret diary of a OnePlus employee | Part 7: You Fight Like A Dairy Farmer

1. Sohaib A.
    Head of European PR Staff Member Mar 11, 2019

Sohaib A. , Mar 11, 2019 :
    Sohaib_WeeklyUpdate-Forum.png

'allo, I'm Sohaib, head of PR for Europe. I've been at OnePlus for just over a year, and you may have seen me running around at our launch events.

@Lauren A H stole my topic, so instead I’m going to talk about my not-so-secret love of retro games.

Fortnite, PUBG, Apex Legends. I’m useless at all of them. Most lunchtimes you can see me taking a beating on FIFA - though me and @Constantijn Appelmans destroyed @Ard and @Tom D. the other day.

I loved tech from an early age, I remember loving our Atari XE (yes, I’m old - CASSETTES!), and being in awe of the Sega Master System. But it was the Commodore Amiga 500+ which changed my world. This was in the era when processing power and graphics were… less sophisticated… so games had to rely on gameplay. But then I discovered the adventure games from the legendary LucasArts team, which combined painstakingly built beautiful scenes with compelling stories and hilarious dialogue.

The Monkey Island series remains a firm favourite of mine, and depending on who you want to believe, was part of the inspiration for the early Pirates of the Caribbean films. Kinda circular, as the game was partly based on the Disney ride anyway! The graphics are still impressive for how intricate they are and the puzzles are challenging but fun. I even have some box art prints in my flat from the amazing Maya Pixelskaya.

I’m in the middle of playing Grim Fandango again (but stuck!), and would love to give Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis another crack. I’ve got Day of the Tentacle on my laptop, and fire it up on long flights. I need to get Full Throttle again.

There have been some great games since from the creative geniuses behind that era - Pyschonauts, Brutal Legend, The Cave, and my most recent favourite - Thimbleweed Park.

You should definitely (legally) check out some of the LucasArts games. Here’s ScummVM on Google Play, for those who need it.

I have yet to succeed in sneaking-in a reference to Monkey Island in my work, but keep an eye out. If, in a keynote, we suddenly say, “How appropriate, you fight like a cow”, you’ll know I succeeded. But it probably won’t be as good as this.

Loosely related, be sure to check out our 5G Apps of Tomorrow program. I used to work for EE’s PR agency and helped to launch 4G in the UK, so it’s really exciting to be working on the launch of 5G as well. The new network technology will change the world over the next 10 years, and honestly I’m really excited to see how it’ll impact gaming. Streaming games over the cloud seamlessly will be incredible - Grim Fandango takes up 3.5 GB on my phone, entirely worth it, but sometimes that makes it hard to get people to try it. It was really cool to see Ace Combat 7 at MWC on our 5G prototype, taking up just 20 MB on the device. Let’s see what other amazing uses we can create for 5G?

2. Ard
    Social Staff Member Mar 11, 2019

gaster, Ruby G., Baymax and 2 others like this.
  3. B.yashaswi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 12, 2019

B.yashaswi , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Thanks for the thread @Sohaib A. and welcome to the community and all the best for your future and hope you will be having a great years ahead with oneplus.

Sohaib A. likes this.
  4. the_o2
    Marshmallow Mar 12, 2019

the_o2 , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Thanks for the thread,
    I have a question why don't you have a Avatar yet :rolleyes:

buntycubal and Sohaib A. like this.
  5. YRJ
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

Saliou and Sohaib A. like this.
  6. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 12, 2019

Saliou and Sohaib A. like this.
  7. otto2
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

otto2 , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hello @Sohaib A. You think you re old?
    Started coding at school in Binary language ,Assembler and later Basic on a TRS 80 ( Datasette, oh, yes..)

Games are surely a very exiting thing, but to be honest: If you got a 5G connection a download of some gigabytes would not be an issue anymore, and how would you play your 5G game while sitting in an airplane without or with just a slow connection?
    Shorter ping times are good for gaming, yes, but this would not work in an airplane with satellite connection to the web due to the long time the signal needs to travel. ( Uplink from earth to satellite, downling satellite to plane and back again )
    And since you re talking about the great games of former times: I ve spent many days on games the were able to pack onto 3-5 Floppy disks , and i had lots of fun.
    As you mentioned- the coders were able to create an immersion and they did not need that amount of gigabytes of data,and we played days and sometimes weeks or months or years. ( Still flying some realistic flight simulations from around 1994 here Total Air War , Falcon 4.0 ,unfortunately there aren t newer ones available despite of some arcade ones )

I do not agree, that a killer application for 5G willl be a game and i do not agree that 5 G is really that much important for games , it will take some decades until most networks will be 5 G equipped, here in europe we still do not have 4G / LTE everywhere, many times my Oneplus is switching to 3 G and sometimes i just have an EDGE data connection.

PS. : I d like to read some more about yourself despite of gaming- Maybe a picture, shot while you re gaming, where have you been working before you joined Oneplus etc. ?

Greetings from germany,

Otto

buntycubal, the_o2, Sohaib A. and 2 others like this.
  8. Moin2200
    KitKat Mar 12, 2019

Moin2200 , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hey @Sohaib A. welcome to the forum! And thanks for sharing your story. :)
    Personally I suck at apex which is why I enjoy combo games more.
    Devil may cry is definitely recommended if you are looking for a challenge that also strengthens your response time. ;)

Sohaib A. likes this.
  9. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 12, 2019

youbi , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Hi @Sohaib A. , Welcome to this community. :)

Its always nice to see a fellow gamer that sucks on playing touch versions of Fortnite and such, for me its just an awful experience. I usually install them when they are launched but they only last about 5min in my phone, the all touch game experience makes me start to pull my hair off. I really don't like to play that sort of games like that. :sweatsmile:

As for the adventure games, I have to be honest. I never played them that much, but I do feel I should give them a try. I can only remember playing Grim Fandango at a friends house for a while, and I do remember that it was fun but I also got stuck on something that I can't remember anymore.

Your thread just made me want to try adventure games for real this time and see if I finally find some more games I like to play on mobile. :p

@rarog and @Fabio.Mar I think you will feel right at home in this thread, I know you guys are also huge fans of Monkey Island series. :p

Ohh, and I almost forgot @Plenkske is also a big fan of Monkey Island but not exactly the game. :tongueclosed::tearsofjoy::innocent:

Sohaib A. and otto2 like this.
  10. Fabio.Mar
    Italian POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 12, 2019

Fabio.Mar , Mar 12, 2019 :
    You just touched my heart. it's a lifetime that you play with video games, I wouldn't be able now to talk about all the things I've tried.
    I started in the 90s with the first PC games, I went through gameboy, playstation, mega drive saw, dreamcast, Xbox and smartphone games.

I played sports games, shooters, RPGs, action ... but if there is a genre of videogames that I have always tried to maintain among those I use every day they are just the graphic adventures!

The first was Monkey Island 1, glimpsed at the home of a friend who, if I remember correctly, played it on an Amiga and it was love at first sight!

From then on I looked for graphic adventures all the time, I know all the ones you talked about and without a doubt those of Lucas Arts are a palm above the others! Monkey Island (especially the 2) I replayed at least once a year, because it's always a dive in a fantasy world!

I could stay here and talk about it for hours, I'll just be a child again to read the title (my avatar should be clear!)

Personally, I recommend the Simon The Sorcerer, Sam & Max series and I agree that I need to give the Indiana Jones series another chance!

waiting for more Monkey Island, if the Ron Gilbert manages to carry out his plans for a new Monkey Island 3 made by him ....;)

Sohaib A., Ruby G. and youbi like this.
  11. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 12, 2019

meatandy , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Couldn't take the PR hat off for a second could you.
    :(

Sohaib A. and otto2 like this.
  12. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 12, 2019

Sohaib A. likes this.
  13. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Mar 12, 2019

Ruby G. , Mar 12, 2019 :
    @Sohaib A. you are as fun to read as to talk to! Love your humorous quips in this one haha. Hope to see more from you here on the forums :)

youbi, Sohaib A., YRJ and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sohaib A.
    Head of European PR Staff Member Mar 12, 2019

Sohaib A. , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Good Q - I have got one but it's not showing up yet :( Here's a sneak preview tho upload_2019-3-12_14-36-52.png

the_o2 likes this.
  15. YRJ
    Lollipop Mar 12, 2019

YRJ , Mar 12, 2019 :
    Update it from the app and logout.
    Login again and viola, you're done! ;)
    Thank me later :D

Sohaib A. likes this.
  16. Sohaib A.

haha, fair! I had to go and read up on the TRS 80 - looks like a beaut.

Also, great point on the 5G gaming. I think that's part of the beauty of it though - it can work both ways. For the day-to-day you could play via the cloud, and then for things like a flight you could download a massive game within minutes, play for the duration of the trip, and then skip back to the cloud when you're ready. For me, airports are one of the places which will benefit most from 5G - I always frantically download a handful of new games ahead of a long flight, and you often get super-slow speeds because of the number of people there.

I get what you're saying about the satellite connectivity. That's definitely something the industry as a whole needs to work on, I've only tried it once or twice but it's never worked that well for me. That's loosely related to my previous life - I've worked in PR for a while and helped to launch 4G in the UK at EE's PR agency, and one of my favourite clients was the RIPE NCC, one of the five regional internet registries who support the administration and smooth running of the Internet. Today is apparently the 30th anniversary of the web, but we got to talk about full-on Internet things! #TimeForIPv6

I remember being in awe of flight sim games. I think Knights of the Sky was one of the first I really got into.

I don't know what the killer app for 5G will be, either - shameless plug for Apps of Tomorrow - but I do think it could make a real difference for gaming. The 5G scenario in Germany is a bit different to elsewhere, so you've got my sympathy there. We're lucky, 4G here in the UK is fairly widespread with EE getting ever closer to having 95% geographic coverage.

Thanks for the welcome!

Ard, otto2 and YRJ like this.
  17. Sohaib A.

Cheers, and Devil May Cry looks stunning so I'll add it to my list. Though I should caveat it's a pretty long list and I'm also really bad at completing games so it could be a while!

In theory I'm still playing The Last Of Us, but verrrry slowly. Is now a bad time to admit I get easily scared of things like zombies - blame playing Silent Hill 1 - so I'm not sure when I'll ever accomplish it...

18. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 12, 2019

Sohaib A. likes this.
  19. Sohaib A.

Cheers! There are some really nice remastered versions available so worth having a look at them if you can.

There are a lot of lunchtimes when people here will play PUBG or Fortnite and I'll be Homer Simpson smiling politely.

@rarog and @Fabio.Mar - which is your favourite in the series?

I think we all need to hear this Monkey Island story from @Plenkske?

youbi and otto2 like this.
  20. Sohaib A.

d'oh, should have skipped ahead to see your reply! MI2 is hard to beat.

I can't imagine how amazing it must have been in that era to be part of the LucasArts team, not just working for such a creative powerhouse organisation under the Lucas umbrella, but also being able to push the boundaries on things like games.

Simon the Sorcerer! I'd totally forgotten about that.

youbi likes this.