Secret Diary of a OnePlus employee | Part 8: Swipe right for your next phone

1. Jack P.
    Staff Staff Member Mar 13, 2019

Jack P. , Mar 13, 2019 :
    WeeklyUpdate-Forum.png

Hey everyone,

I’m Jack (Jacky P/Jackalous to my pals) and I’m involved with all things UK Marketing. Because I lack any kind of filter or sense of what’s appropriate to share with faceless phone users, I’m going to delve into a very personal topic.

If you’re a perpetually single Londoner like me, you’ll know that dating is hard in the big city. It really is my second job. You spend far too much money, far too much time discussing whether you prefer dogs or cats and pretending to care about the response, all while nursing your swollen, RSI-warped thumb.

In short, unlike the OnePlus user experience, my dating life is painfully slow, unresponsive and generally a burden on my life. But fear not. I’ll spare you the sordid details of my night-time activities and further elaboration on my crippling loneliness/tearstained pillows.

Instead, I’d like to tell you a bit more about the one true love in my life – my OnePlus 6T! (God that sounded less tragic in my head). I got through a whole host of phones before I held my first OnePlus. Please allow me to walk you through some of the ‘exes’ I’d rather forget.
    • Nokia 1208
    No, I don't have a criminal record. I can’t explain it either.​
    • Nokia Lumia 520
    This was probably my first real smartphone (I was on the ‘bricks’ for far too long…) and this really was the definition of a teen romance. At the time it was exciting, a breath of fresh air. Now I look back and cringe. It had a pretty little display that I was always happy to see and a relatively decent camera for the price, but that was about it. Seriously Microsoft, why is a licensed version of Instagram too much to ask??!​
    • Sony Xperia XA
    I’ll admit, I was sold initially. I used to be entirely value driven and while I was on a long-term contract, I felt that this packed a lot of bang for its buck. Despite being occasionally called out for low quality Snapchats (picture quality “resembling CCTV” according to one), it wasn't a bad device. It was comfortable to hold, with a slim design and decent display. After a few months however, problems emerged. Endless bugs caused my phone to randomly shut down, the battery life grew worse and worse and LOOORD. Don’t get me started on the storage.
    And then, I finally made a switch.
    • OnePlus 5
    I don’t believe in love at first sight but as far an inanimate object goes, this was pretty close. As soon as I held it in my hand, I knew immediately I was holding a premium phone. The camera was a joy to use; simple to operate, with incredibly effective results. I felt the same way about my first fling with OxygenOS; like most of you, I found it to be intuitive, accessible and seamless. Gone were the days where I'd be weighed down by buggy interfaces and bloatware. Most importantly, this was the first phone I had owned that I'd enjoyed using.​

What started out as a fling has turned into something exclusive (hate being pinned down you know #NeverSettle) and I'm now loving my 6T. Each device has continued to become faster, smoother and more enjoyable. Hopefully my actual, human lovelife will follow suit.

2. Jess T.
    Graphic Designer Staff Member Mar 14, 2019

script, the_o2, Its.Leandroo and 5 others like this.
  3. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

luxuskamel , Mar 14, 2019 :
    My first phone was a Samsung S5620 Monte
    First and only Samsung phone
    An iPhone and three years later I fall in love with the OPO

G_plusone, buntycubal and otto2 like this.
  4. GopalB.
    Nougat Mar 14, 2019

GopalB. , Mar 14, 2019 :
    Was it marketed as a girl's phone???

One of my friends had it and he used to say that... [​IMG]

G_plusone and luxuskamel like this.
  5. B.yashaswi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 14, 2019

B.yashaswi , Mar 14, 2019 :
    Thanks for the post @Jack P. literally took us to old memories.
    My first phone was Nokias lengendry 3310
    which was abondoned by my relative from them i have taken it and i use to wonder how could it still work and next phone was from i ball which is also a type phone which had excellent speaker grill which i still did not found in any of the phone in that size and then karbonn A35 , and next Coolpad Note 3 which was first phone providing a fingerprint scanner in that budget and Next smasung Galaxy J max used it occasionally which was first 7 inch phone, i have used all those phones temporarily like once in a time as i was a student and then when stepped in undergraduate course i am proud to say that the device that i bought is Oneplus 3T which is still my current device and all those devices were temporary ones but the choice to buy oneplus was most waited and was correct investment though the only problem can say the only drawback was heating issues except that everything was fine and my only features that i require for future oneplus phones are a heat dissipation process kind of thing like a heat pipe and stereo speakers which are the most important features for almost everyone i hope to see them in future devices.
    #Time Fly's

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019

G_plusone, buntycubal and Ruby G. like this.
  6. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

Haha maybe he had it in pink :p
    Many friends had the samsung gt-s5230 but my phone was special because mine already had wifi :D

7. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

I'll probably get one too because it could be useful when hiking. And then I also own the legend!

buntycubal, otto2 and B.yashaswi like this.
  8. B.yashaswi

B.yashaswi , Mar 14, 2019 :
    Happy hiking and i think you will not be getting this anymore.
    3310.0.jpg

9. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

rdolsek, G_plusone and otto2 like this.
  10. B.yashaswi

G_plusone, otto2 and luxuskamel like this.
  11. GopalB.
    Nougat Mar 14, 2019

GopalB. , Mar 14, 2019 :
    No... It was dark... :p

12. otto2
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

otto2 , Mar 14, 2019 :
    For hiking purposes you d better take my old Siemens S10. Battery life of around 10 days and an extractable antenna (Or use the externel antenna connector) gives you highest probability to get a connection when all other phones are dead. I got two of them, contact me, if you re interested.
    BTW:First mobilePhone"Motorola International 1000. It was a car phone, but I ve ordered it with an adaptor so I could carry it with me. This kind of phone was called "Porty" in germany for portable phone.

the_o2, G_plusone, buntycubal and 3 others like this.
  13. otto2
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

otto2 , Mar 14, 2019 :
    I forgot: Battery easy changeable, so you can put easily Battery's for 1-2 Months in your pockets.

14. YRJ
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2019

YRJ , Mar 14, 2019 :
    Hi @Jack P. Really sorry to hear of your love life, I genuinely wish for things to come back on track, soon :)

Nice read, it was a visit to the past of smartphones.
    Good for me, relatable stuff!
    I can relate to your feelings, afterall who would understand a single better ? Ofc, a single. That's where I come in. :oops:

Funny how girls aren't attracted to that awesome tattoo of yours' it reads 'Shakti' translates to power!
    Suave ;)

These don't go quite well together :rolleyes: XD

Don't lose hope it will work out..... :p
    See you around
    Regards :)

15. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 14, 2019

FlixbusLennart , Mar 14, 2019 :
    Haha, when I crushed my Galaxy S3 after 4.5 years of using it, I went through quite some phones.
    Went to the local store because I needed one and just got an Xperia XA.
    At first, I thought 'Yeah, that could be a phone which you can use for some years'.
    I gave it back after one day, it was weird to hold, sluggish, camera was mediocre and I had light coming from gaps left and right of the display. While my initial feeling was great with this phone, it was super weird upon deeper inspection.
    I know exactly how you must've felt!

I then got a Galaxy A5, which was okay, but I just wanted a great phone and no compromise. Bought a OnePlus 3 and got a 5 and then a 6 and I'll definitely get my hands on a 7 or 7T if they're worth it...

16. Denise Marie
    Eclair Mar 14, 2019

Denise Marie , Mar 14, 2019 :
    Jack, I totally know what you mean. Try living in New Hampshire. My last love affair was with my Nokia 929 until they stopped support bummer. But hooking up with one plus 6T makes it seem like Microsoft is A very old man.

Seriously enjoying this phone and so far I've been able to forget the fact that it can't translate between apps or copy from one app to another that's kind of depressing hopefully we'll fix that flaw.

But most of the time this guy is a lot of fun! the camera, the detail, the fact that it's so fast and can keep up with me. It's even recognizes my voice kinda the same way your best friend knows it you. so the dating thing yeah not settling [e]1f609[/e]

17. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Mar 15, 2019

toastytoast1234 , Mar 15, 2019 :
    Where have you been shoving your thumb?

G_plusone and otto2 like this.
  18. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 15, 2019

G_plusone , Mar 15, 2019 :
    Hi Jack, Goodluck with your work and love life

19. the_o2
    Marshmallow Mar 15, 2019

the_o2 , Mar 15, 2019 :
    My first phone was Motorola,
    And first Smartphone was from Samsung,
    Currently owner of OnePlus 5.

Can you tell the whats written on your hand in Hindi ( the tattoo on your left arm),
    What I guess is something related to Power :rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. Jack P.
    Staff Staff Member Mar 15, 2019

Jack P. , Mar 15, 2019 :
    It's more of a swiping motion :p

toastytoast1234 likes this.