Secret diary of a OnePlus employee | Part 9: What we can learn from India

1. Will T. European PR Manager Staff Member Mar 22, 2019

Will T., Mar 22, 2019 :
    WeeklyUpdate-Forum (3).png

Hello OnePlus community, my name is Will and I’m a European Communications Manager here in London. I say here in London, but right now I’m actually sitting on a British Airways 787 in seat 40D, somewhere over Iran.

We’ve just been served a passable in-flight biryani, I’ve finished a mini plane-sized bottle of red wine, which means it’s time to be a business traveller and write this blog from a cramped economy class seat.

For the last few days, the team and I have been in India to learn how and why OnePlus has become the number one premium smartphone brand there, by launching consistently great smartphones for the last 5 years. For most of us, including me, this was our first time in the country – here’s what we learned in our time there.

1) The Taj Mahal is nuts

Not strictly a business learning, but look...

Taj.jpg

2) India has OnePlus Stores!

Here in Europe, you can try out a OnePlus device in all of our great partners’ stores. Places like EE, Elisa, and FNAC all have the latest OnePlus device on display to try out. In India, it’s a little different. We have our own Experience Stores with accessories, repairs and even a coffee bar! The team there aim to turn around repairs in under an hour, it’s a whole new level of service at the kind of speed we expect at OnePlus.

Stores.jpg

3) Trust in Delhi drivers

You may think that traffic in Delhi is dangerous, but when crossing six lanes of moving Delhi traffic you have to trust in the driver. Given 90% of cars are at least slightly dented it's easy to be worried, but people react to things with a OnePlus UX level of speed and efficiency. After minutes of waiting for a break that never comes, I step out into the road, as I walk into traffic, cars, and bikes pass around me like I’m nothing.

4) It IS ok to throw things (coloured powder) at your CEO (on select occasions)

Holi is a Hindu celebration of spring that most of you will recognise for the brightly-coloured powder thrown as part of the festival. The Indian community is one of the largest and most passionate groups of OnePlus fans and we were lucky enough to be invited to their Holi celebrations. This event was on another level, with dancers, trampolines and an art gallery. When Pete ran into the crowd the OnePlus team and community covered him with powder. I think the results speak for themselves…

peteholi.jpg

2. G_plusone Lollipop Mar 23, 2019

G_plusone, Mar 23, 2019 :
    Hi @Will T. Looks like you had a great time in India.
    Points 3 and 4 were :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

sumanthUsha, psheetb, gaster and 7 others like this.
  3. YRJ KitKat Mar 23, 2019

YRJ, Mar 23, 2019 :
    Hey @Will T. I hope you had a great time in India, except for the point no 3, ofc!

ICYMI: in India though we use our palm to signal that we are crossing and the driver must stop.
    TBH, showing the palm keeps you carefree and you can be sure of its potential. The palm is capable enough to stop the fastest of the vehicles! :tearsofjoy:

Welcome to the community, have a great time with all the great people.
    I hope you come back to India again , and be safe :D

4. PankajS Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 23, 2019

PankajS, Mar 23, 2019 :
    That's one hell of a detailed article about India. It's a pleasure meeting @Pete in Delhi, and hell yea we played Holi with him. :cool::cool:

You just forgot to mention @Szymon K. dance moves..:D:p Flattering.. :cool::D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019

F_Amit_Shalat_fOrT and G_plusone like this.
  5. devil112 Froyo Mar 24, 2019

devil112, Mar 24, 2019 :
    it was a great experience and fun for us to and your welcome again [e]1f604[/e]

F_Amit_Shalat_fOrT and G_plusone like this.
  6. cdnfarmer Jelly Bean Mar 25, 2019

cdnfarmer, Mar 25, 2019 :
    Well written @Will T. I enjoyed your sense of humour. :):)

G_plusone likes this.
  7. otto2 Lollipop Mar 25, 2019

otto2, Mar 25, 2019 :
    Hello and thank you for this interesting thread. Is this you or is this Kevin A. at the picture?

One thing is unfortunately not correct:

You won t find any Oneplus Devices in stores in most european countries, since they re only partnering with some providers in GB and Finland. Germany, Austria, BeNeLux, Czech Republic, Slavakia, Poland and many more countries do not have stores, where you can try your phones before buying them. ( But i never needed a hanmdas on, since i trust Oneplus to give us a great overall experience. OK, maybe the camera software could get some improvements, but ... never settle...)
    Meeting @Joel Jacob and many other community members at a diwali event in Amsterdam was my very first personal contact with indian mentality and i was positively surprised. We had a great time.
    And i wish you a great time at oneplus, too. Hope to read more about you and your impressions of India,Oneplus and maybe some more informations about your Hobbies etc...

GopalB., G_plusone and the_o2 like this.
  8. the_o2 Lollipop Mar 25, 2019

the_o2, Mar 25, 2019 :
    Wow,
    Glad to see that you had wonderful experience in India :)

otto2 and G_plusone like this.
  9. Will T. European PR Manager Staff Member Mar 25, 2019

Will T., Mar 25, 2019 :
    You know what I learnt this on my last day and the palm is indeed a powerful tool!

cdnfarmer likes this.
  10. Will T. European PR Manager Staff Member Mar 25, 2019

Will T., Mar 25, 2019 :
    That is true Szymon was clearly enjoying himself :cool:

PankajS likes this.
  11. PankajS Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 25, 2019

PankajS, Mar 25, 2019 :
    He's just flying..:D Yea, enjoying alot. :cool:

12. YRJ KitKat Mar 25, 2019

YRJ, Mar 25, 2019 :
    Hahah! It can bring time to a standstill.
    You must come back to actually put this to test, foreign palms work too ;) :tearsofjoy:

13. AnunciPronunci Gingerbread Mar 25, 2019

14. Will T. European PR Manager Staff Member Mar 25, 2019

Will T., Mar 25, 2019 :
    You're totally right, it's not as widespread as it could be but something we're always looking to improve on. I certainly know in the UK there are places I can head to take a look at the latest OnePlus goodness.

mdnuruzzaman759@ and otto2 like this.
  15. Will T. European PR Manager Staff Member Mar 25, 2019

Will T., Mar 25, 2019 :
    Oh, and yes that's Kevin with the almighty beard :)

mdnuruzzaman759@ and otto2 like this.
  16. GarageRamen Gingerbread Mar 25, 2019

mdnuruzzaman759@ likes this.
  17. Aathif_Mahir Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 26, 2019

18. G_sathish_Kumar_fsmc Cupcake Mar 26, 2019

19. Will T. European PR Manager Staff Member Mar 27, 2019

V1554086751980 likes this.
  20. Priyanshu Sharma Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 29, 2019

V1554086751980 likes this.