SECURITY CAN BE COMPROMISED EASILY ?????

1. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Nov 5, 2017

BobbyV8_ , Nov 5, 2017 :
    By any chance are you on OOS? You were asking about PA back some time I guess! I need a confirmation on disabling QS in OOS. (Anyways I already mentioned that'd not work when stolen as they'd remove the sim)

2. keeganjk
    Gingerbread Nov 5, 2017

keeganjk , Nov 5, 2017 :
    You never know...

3. Vedant620
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 5, 2017

Vedant620 , Nov 5, 2017 :
    yup oos till our official support ends, anyways yes I'm on oos and if you try to disable location from the lockscreen you're prompted to enter the pin

4. kleinstadtbube

kleinstadtbube , Nov 5, 2017 :
    Well then he/she can have fun with it. Important stuff should not be on a phone. At least on mine it isn't.

Deactivated User likes this.
  5. keeganjk
    Gingerbread Nov 5, 2017

keeganjk , Nov 5, 2017 :
    If you want, you can shut down your device every time instead of putting it to sleep. Someone would have to wait about 20 seconds for it to turn in and then enter password to defrost and unlock other features.

6. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2017

opo_tunity , Nov 5, 2017 :
    The problem with this attitude is you fall into the trap of believing that because there is nothing of importance on your phone, there must be nothing of importance on anyone elses phone.

Adding an option to block modifying the drop-down menu while the phone is locked would address one avenue for further securing the phone from opportunistic attacks. The reality is that once you have physical access to a device it's difficult to protect, but adding as many safety features as possible should be encouraged.

7. BobbyV8_

BobbyV8_ , Nov 5, 2017 :
    Let me tell you something. Security is being considered largely these days apart from looks and fancy features.

I don't accept his argument about iphone being more secure than Android though, people just don't know the way to make it more secure. what ever be implemented, a stolen mobile is stolen and all you can do is to secure your data on it. Finding that and getting back is almost impossible these days.

Tech and tools have reached far into hands of black market and even a stolen iphone with find my iphone on is being cleaned (don't ask me how as I'm not going to tell you)

Nezumi_ likes this.
  8. BobbyV8_

BobbyV8_ , Nov 5, 2017 :
    Is that on by default? Any way to enable/disable it? if yes, post a screenshot of the toggle for the OP.

9. kleinstadtbube

The thing is easy. Since phones are out! I never lost one or my phone got stolen. My security is how I handle my stuff. If someone wants to have important private stuff on his phone then of cause he can but then imho he should take care of it and not blame the software for bugs in security or whatever. If someone really wants your stuff on your phone he gets it anyway. With or without security crap!

10. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2017

Airplane mode, which I'm guessing disables location, doesn't require a PIN.

11. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2017

Is your point, don't increase security features?

12. kleinstadtbube

No my point is even on high security level dumb people will loose their phone!

Budruel likes this.
  13. SKP21
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2017

SKP21 , Nov 5, 2017 :
    How the hell your data can be compromised if you have encrypted your phone.
    The only thing you are losing is your phone not your data, that makes phone a secured, but you an careless guy.

Ok tell me which phone doesn't turn off by pressing power button??

14. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2017

I would imagine smart people lose and have their phone stolen too.

As far as I am aware, the thread was revolving around security gaps on the phone and how they could be addressed, not the intelligence of the phone users.

15. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2017

Changing WiFi points without unlocking the phone could in theory allow you to attack the phone if you are now on the same WiFi point and there are network vulnerabilities available.

16. RSPBLR
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2017

RSPBLR , Nov 5, 2017 :
    Largely. Not the largest. Mass market is still behind just features, looks. And it sells.

17. BobbyV8_

BobbyV8_ , Nov 5, 2017 :
    No way, with encryption and other stuff in place you can secure your data.

Removing Sim is easier. No software fix can stop this.

Exactly, anyone can lose their phone. but all you can do is secure your data. Give a complaint and hope you get it back. No level of software security can help you find your device. As far as it is a software, it can be bypassed. See this
    SECURITY CAN BE COMPROMISED EASILY ?????

18. BobbyV8_

BobbyV8_ , Nov 5, 2017 :
    Atleast, change has begun

19. SKP21
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2017

SKP21 , Nov 5, 2017 :
    I don't think you can connect to a new WiFi point while you are connected, as I think you are talking about the person who stole my phone might connect to his WiFi and exploit my data.
    Moreover I don't think any exploits work as you don't have a proper data control

20. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2017

Yes, security can be compromised, but the goal should always be to increase the complexity an attacker is require to get through in order to gain access to your data.

In this case, requiring an unlock before changing these settings stops them dropping you onto a network they can attack you from. It doesn't stop them spoofing an access point, but it still adds an extra barrier.

As great as encryption is, it's useless if a running phone is successfully compromised.
    As an edit, WiFi change is blocked (which is good), but enabling the hotspot is not which might still open up a route to the data.

tl;dr Physical access to a device is a huge issue for data security, but every security measure that can be put in place should be. In this case requiring an unlock to modify system settings in the drop-down menu should either be enabled, or on by default with the option to disable if people don't want it.