SECURITY CAN BE COMPROMISED EASILY ?????

1. Vedant620
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 5, 2017

Vedant620 , Nov 5, 2017 :
    yes i noticed it right after you said it, THAT is a problem tho

2. Vedant620

Vedant620 , Nov 5, 2017 :
    yup it's default only afaik

3. Joyyy
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2017

Joyyy , Nov 5, 2017 :
    They should do a feature where it only lets you turn the phone off once you unlock the phone with passcode.

4. HBP87

HBP87 , Nov 5, 2017 :
    It's not the oneplus... It's Google. Google made the drop down menu accessible from lock screen from from 5.0 (Lollipop).

5. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2017

opo_tunity , Nov 5, 2017 :
    Ah, I see that now, which is good although you can enable a WiFi hotspot without unlocking, as well as Bluetooth which was vulnerable recently without the need for user interaction. I'd still prefer to see a forced unlock to protect this area, rather than having to remove the functionality from the drop-down menu.

As for exploits not working, I guess it depends on the vulnerability.

6. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Nov 5, 2017

BobbyV8_ , Nov 5, 2017 :
    This is the problem with many users. TLDR. Some people can't read simple things even. When a phone is stolen, this is what they usually do.

1. Remove sim (no tracking software can be working after this)
    2. Flash the OS (now don't say all security layers to stop this. All they need to follow is an unbrick guide)

7. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2017

opo_tunity , Nov 5, 2017 :
    I think there are two different conversations at play here. I don't care if you wipe my stolen phone, in fact it's the one thing I hope for if someone does steal my phone.

My concern if you steal my phone is compromising the device, and gaining access to the data. Turn the phone off, and that reduces the chances as data is encrypted at rest on. Somehow exploit the device through a vulnerability on it and if you get near my email then there is access to reset a number of different accounts.

So, anything that frustrates or stops someone compromising the device is a bonus. In this case I think forcing an unlock to modify this menu would be a bonus to security for the device. Not a huge bonus, but every little helps as the saying goes.

8. kleinstadtbube

kleinstadtbube , Nov 5, 2017 :
    Brainless smartphone users are a security gap. But anyway. I'm out of this discussion.
    Have a nice weekend.

Nezumi_ likes this.
  9. jindal.shreyansh
    Donut Nov 5, 2017

jindal.shreyansh , Nov 5, 2017 :
    I see here most people are talking about the theif taking the phone to some people who formats the phone or removing the SIM card.
    But I had my OnePlus 3T stolen and let me tell you had OnePlus have this features I would have located it (I had on custom rom Nexus5), at an instant when the phone is stolen the thief won't probably have a pin to take out the SIM Tray and not know how to flash to recovery etc. The most common thing he will try is turning the phone down so that calls can't be made or putting it in Airplane Mode. Both makes the Android Device Manager location tracking useless. Had there been option like OP mentioned he couldn't do so, and also if he press and holds Power button the phone will restart and not shutdown, so it will periodically update location.
    And also don't offer arguments like buy a new phone or install a custom rom or buy Cerebus App , most of us know this but want to make Oxygen OS better.

10. BobbyV8_

BobbyV8_ , Nov 5, 2017 :
    TL as well.
    To address this issue,
    Disable QS(all of those on status bar) + have a PIN to startup device + encryption on is all you need.
    Having the device encrypted + twrp doesn't allow you to access data without entering password or cleaning the data. This way your data is secure but other layers like android device manager will all be wiped.

If data is primary concern, I suggest not to wait for OnePlus to implement something but flash a custom ROM that suits your needs

11. BobbyV8_

BobbyV8_ , Nov 5, 2017 :
    Statistics on probability when you say this need to be seen. You can hope but not be assured.

Just think, he's a thief and is 'probably' aware that all he needs to do is remove sim. Don't ask the stats here, I faced this on a friend's OP5. He has a custom ROM (RR) in place and all of the above mentioned additional security in place. Yet we could do nothing about it except lo file a complaint.

SimonRam likes this.
  12. F_Terence_Quah_gSCv

F_Terence_Quah_gSCv , Nov 5, 2017 :
    any android can be easily flashed and resell. even youtube show everywhere. (forced restart and forced flash)
    iPhone is not possible. even their rooting is easily hard brick (unrecoverable). it's just general knowledge.
    iPhone although can be force restart but it cannot be forced flashed through cmos(example).

13. F_Terence_Quah_gSCv

you wan everything to be open(customization..of course the fact it's not really tight secure.) base can easily flashed ex. two tats an cmos overwrite. try overwrite apple...i think they instantly hires u.
    apple manage to do it because it's hard locked prison. (no customization to anything.)

14. jindal.shreyansh
    Donut Nov 5, 2017

jindal.shreyansh , Nov 5, 2017 :
    see post #48 , i think you dont get my point. And regarding the flashing point, you can also find YouTube videos on How to hard reset an iPhone ( and they won't hire you for that ).

15. F_Terence_Quah_gSCv

u can only hard reset iPhone if u have the first apple id and pass tied locked when u first on the phone but thief without that can't. but android simply even thief can do it effortlessly.

16. F_Terence_Quah_gSCv

why do u think phone reseller needs your to released your apple id from the iphone before they wanna buy them from you.(iPhone 4 only don't need release) 5 and above needs to.